Expats, If You Could Go Back In Time

expatdreamer

Recently Green77 sought advice on whether he should move to Thailand, and some of the responses got me thinking....for all of you expats - if you could go back in time, what would you have done differently.

For example, Gary A's informative response indicated when he first arrived in Thailand he invested in a couple of businesses which went sour meaning he had to return to the West to work for 5 more years, something I am sure he would have preferred not to have done, before then returning to Thailand for good.

So what would you have done differently?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Get the most suitable, long term type of visa you can immediately. Visa rules are always changing, usually raising the bar to qualify, more expensive, or getting phasing out.

2. Devote a lot of effort into learning the language immediately and don't let up.

And as someone mentioned, it's never too late even if you have been here a long time.

I would pay more attention to my gut/common sense and less to/ignore the "web-experts" like Slickman.

It turns out most of those guys are/were shills for the businesses that advertize on their blogs ... but again common sense.

More money can never hurt. Staying home to earn it and miss out on the great life here is a touch choice.

Especially in some of the bars where touching is allowed.

I would never have moved here......never have gotten involved with a Thai women (i.e. marriage).......never have invested in anything here. Instead, I would have moved to New Zealand or Panama or some other place. Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here (over twenty years ago), and the decline has accelerated over the past ten years. The really good days (80s and 90s) have gone and will not return. I am looking forward to leaving (yes, I know, do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....blah, blah, blah).

• Like 1

More money can never hurt. Staying home to earn it and miss out on the great life here is a touch choice.

I would never have moved here......never have gotten involved with a Thai women (i.e. marriage).......never have invested in anything here. Instead, I would have moved to New Zealand or Panama or some other place. Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here (over twenty years ago), and the decline has accelerated over the past ten years. The really good days (80s and 90s) have gone and will not return. I am looking forward to leaving (yes, I know, do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....blah, blah, blah).

Its called progress. You may want to try Burma for that 3rd world feeling.

Been to Panama or Costa Rica lately? They ain't getting better either. I was turned off by the bars on the windows, increase in crime and home invasions. But I heard they were great places in the 80's and 90's.:(

I'll give you this Awoh--you're incredibly consistent. But I'm fairly certain that if you HAD gone to either New Zealand or Panama, your life wouldn't have turned out much differently. And you'd still be saying..."I would never have moved here...."

Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here (over twenty years ago), and the decline has accelerated over the past ten years. The really good days (80s and 90s) have gone and will not return.

I much prefer Thailand now. There is a lot more good foreign food as well as English language entertainment, books, and music. However, I will admit that the sex industry was more fun way back when. :whistling:

Hindsight is always 20/20

But I am where I am right now because of the things I did in the past.

Changing the past would also change the present - no ??

You watch way too many bad movies; Butterfly Effect, etc.

Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure it's just coincidence.:whistling:

"....Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here...."

Suddenly, everything becomes clear.

I'd feel bad about that, too.

SC

"....Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here...."

Suddenly, everything becomes clear.

I'd feel bad about that, too.

SC

It's been pure crap since they closed down my fav bar , Butterfly Affect , the girls just don't feel the same .

Not unless there had been a board in the airport when arrived here stating and explaining what the Phuket Thais see as development :o . However I have had one foot here and one there (Home) all the time and never done any commitment more than what necessary to have it comfortable here and when the times come and this old chap need more care I shall lock the door queietly after me. :)