BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
expatdreamer

Expats, If You Could Go Back In Time

Hindsight is always 20/20

But I am where I am right now because of the things I did in the past.

Changing the past would also change the present - no ??

Irrefutable.

I think it is impossible to realistically look back and make a judgement with the benefit of 5, 10, 20 years hindsight.

I always said that I wanted "No regrets" on my headstone (a bit pointless as I will be cremated!).

This is pretty much the case,. Of course, there are times when I wish I was still earning todays equivalent of £100k+, annual bonus and 20% p.a. non-contributory pension scheme. That scenario looks attractive when funds are low and I can't 'just do' the frivolous things that I used to and when I have to wait to realise assets before I can build here. However, I would not swap the 5 years of experiences in Thailand etc for that life. In reality I could not go back to it, I am too ring rusty and the skills I had have been overtaken by the demands of new puppet masters.

I would not want to look back with the apparent regrets that Awoh,, seems to have. I hope he has found some happiness in those 20-odd years otherwise it will have just been a waste of time with his remaining life full of regrets.

Next time, I'd remember to put the notepaper with the winning numbers in my pocket before I went back in time.

SC

EDIT: This thread again?

This one night I was drunk the ladyvstuck out as she was taller than the rest, I thought her voice was deep due to smoking and... :whistling:

On a serious note tried harder to read and write thai, would by now saved me a fortune on lawyers translators and the like.

Also admitted to my self I was here for the long haul earlier, and stopped holding back on things such as visas.

I would never have moved here......never have gotten involved with a Thai women (i.e. marriage).......never have invested in anything here. Instead, I would have moved to New Zealand or Panama or some other place. Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here (over twenty years ago), and the decline has accelerated over the past ten years. The really good days (80s and 90s) have gone and will not return. I am looking forward to leaving (yes, I know, do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....blah, blah, blah).

Been to Panama or Costa Rica lately? They ain't getting better either. I was turned off by the bars on the windows, increase in crime and home invasions. But I heard they were great places in the 80's and 90's.:(

Bingo. Panama has gotten expensive and Costa Rica ain't what it use to be.

Bars on the windows is something you see in lots of places, not just latin america.

I would never have moved here......never have gotten involved with a Thai women

Thailand has been going downhill from the day I first moved here (over twenty years ago),

:ermm:

Transferred more money than I did when it was over 70 baht to the quid.

let's go back in Time...

business school... no. computer school instead, the internet was just beginning to become a major break through. I'd be a multi-millionnaire now.

first job... would have been completely different.

at 22 or 23 years old I should have traveled the world instead and found Thailand.

marriage... no. or maybe later (but probably not).

1323947670[/url]' post='4914345']

I would build two smaller houses, next to each other, rather than one larger one, looking-ahead to the days when our kids leave-home & we don't need so much space for just the two of us.

Is that one for the wife and one for you,I'm confusedblink.gif

One for us, and one (linked) a few yards away for the kids, I'm now getting tired of their idea of 'music' ! Later-on the empty house can be for visitors, or renting-out, if there are any tourists still able to afford it !

We considered the Chinese-style house-layout (which I still like), with buildings round a small courtyard, but went for the larger single property instead, my failure to look far-enough into the future. Think main-house & decent granny-annexe.

Also it might have been cheaper, for the builder to do a couple of houses of the type he usually does, rather than the bigger farang-style one ?

One mistake we didn't make, was to build on two floors, the day will come when walking up/down stairs becomes difficult, and I wouldn't want to lose access to half the building. Build one floor only, and bung-a-low roof on it ! :D

Edited by Ricardo

To be honest not a lot I am doing just fine right now although I live in a tourist destination and if we line up up all jet ski , Tuk Tuk and touts against the wall it would make me very happy and the country would be a better place so my point is if i could go back in time never let it get to this stage

huh.gif

Nothing really, I came at 26yrs old in 01 and loved it ever since, despite the tough times, I doubt I would have changed much. But perhaps if I could, I would have panned things out so I could have came in 97' and took advantage of the "currency crisis" of the time.

i would have settled in Thailand in 1989 instead of 2004.