Mae Sot Visa Run By Mini Bus From Nakhon Sawan

nong38

Yesterday, I went on my visa run to Mae Sot departing Nakhon Sawan ( probably the most beautiful city in the Province ) at 630, there are other departues at 730 and 830. We were iniatally told they went on the hour but this turned out to be rouse as the ticket lady did not turn up until 620 and then had to put on her make up.

The bus called a place called Kampheang Phet, well have to say the bis terminal looked in serious need of a lick of paint and some renovation, I had been led to believe that this was a up market place clearly this is not the case and I will writing to the local authorities to point this out and if they dont get some action going then tourists are likely stay away or return south at a rate of knots.

Also called at Tak where we took in the local sights, Tesco and Big C. then it was off into the moutains, a bit of a long haul this but the interesting thigk was that the driver who had mastered the art of taking phone calls and driving had the "Dambusters" as his ringtone. So, as to pass the time away I invited the passengers to join me in "On the road to Manderlay" do you know not one of them knew the words! Looked at me as if I was loopy, dashed rum bunch of coves if you ask me.

As we appraoched Mae Sot, most of the passengers started gasping for breath, not used to fresh air I concluded coming from Nakhon Sawan. Arrival at 1045, the bus station is around what looked like it used to be an old undercover market and not a inclinking fo how to get to the border or Song Teaw in sight! Turned left, then left at the Buddha roundabout and eventually came to a busier part of town where we found a song teaw heading for the border checkpoint, it did not leave till it was, that was 24 with shopping on top. 20 bts to the border which I thought was a lot considering the speedo and the rev counter were not working!

Out of Thailand and across the bridge to Burma, dashed nice people there diid all their stuff and I was back in LOS in 15 mins flat.

Motor bike taxi back to the bus terminal 80 bts.

The buses coming back leave at 1230,1330 and 1430. bailing out of the motor bike taxi at 1225, ghosh the bus is still there what a stroke of luck, you would think. I was as baffled by this as the other travellers, apparently their were no seats left! But the bus did not depart ( answers on a dustbin lid)!!!!! So we had to wait for the 1330, passed the time away with a bottle of a Japanese hebal drink called Asashi.

The bus followed the outward route an we got back to civiliaztion ( Nakhon Sawan ) at 515pm the fare is 200bts each way, remember to take the motor cycle taxi to the border checkpoint if you use this for your visa run and dont try any rousing songs you could put off in the hills, or worse!

Edited by nong38

From where minibus starts in Nakhon Sawan? I always take big bus to Tak and minibus from there but I'm always going around noon. Is there later minibus than 08.30?

The mini bus goes from the magnificent bus terminal in Nakhon Sawan, opposite the Pimarn Hotel. I f you speak little thai like me then it is an advantage to have a local close at hand this is the telephone number that gave us the information : 089 9019 807, 089 9019 808. I think we got the tickets at ticket counter number 1. Hope that helps. Make sure you get on first and get the choice of seat, back seat has the fuel under it and some like to recline their seat onto you!

Reply from T.T.A.K.P.Phet.

In answer to your remark's about our bus station it was one of the few place's in K.P.Phet to suffer from the flood's. To try and compare it with the very small one at N/S must be very difficult mainly due to the fact that the N/S B/Station is permanently covered in a thick Diesel haze. N/B The life expectancy at same for a farang is about 2 hour's you have been warned.

Glad to hear you had a good time in M/Sot must have made a great Pre Christmas trip if only to be able to breath ozone and to see more than 100 yard's for the first time in ex year's.

Did you notice the GREEN tree's /// Yes by Jove that's what colour they are I bet you thought that all Thai tree's were grey like your local one's.

Question on your return how far out of N/S was it before the bus had to turn it's FOG light's on ??? We ask so as to inform our local patron's to be prepared, we have had in the past several peep's thinking as they approached N/S they had encountered a solar eclipse.

Oh have a nice Yule Tide.

T.T A.K.P.Phet.

In answer to your remark's about our bus station it was one of the few place's in K.P.Phet to suffer from the flood's. To try and compare it with the very small one at N/S must be very difficult mainly due to the fact that the N/S B/Station is permanently covered in a thick Diesel haze. N/B The life expectancy at same for a farang is about 2 hour's you have been warned.

Glad to hear you had a good time in M/Sot must have made a great Pre Christmas trip if only to be able to breath ozone and to see more than 100 yard's for the first time in ex year's.

Did you notice the GREEN tree's /// Yes by Jove that's what colour they are I bet you thought that all Thai tree's were grey like your local one's.

Question on your return how far out of N/S was it before the bus had to turn it's FOG light's on ??? We ask so as to inform our local patron's to be prepared, we have had in the past several peep's thinking as they approached N/S they had encountered a solar eclipse.

T.T A.K.P.Phet.

I have been authourised by the People Repubic of Nakhon Sawan ( Commercial department) to reply to you note from the north ( its grim up there).

Firstly, the diesel haze is not a haze but a Halo, protecting the Heavemly City like the Ouso Layer. THe heroic people of NS are all issued with respirators at birth ( should any ill and life threatening atmospheres drift down from the adjacent province). On a point of interest we have many green trees in Nakhon Sawan, some of them feshly painted only last week and they only use brown when green is in short supply, it comes from the north and it has been known for riff raff from the province to the north to attack paint convoys heading for NS.

The solar eclipse some of your citizens encountered are only seen through a bottle of Chang or Tiger, so I say no more.

Fog lights are advisable as you pass the by pass route 122, I would suggest braking at the traffic lights and turning left after about 200 yards calling in that the German Haus for an inexpensive meal with bevys before joining all the justle and bustle that is Nakhon Sawan, often compared to Rio De Janerio ( in a bad light ).

I must try and visit KP again soon, they would not let off the bus. said my paperworking was not in order!

Mae Sot bus terminal reminded me of an old western town, all that was needed was the tumble weeds, we had everything else even a hotel. Room 150 bts, with bed 180bts :bah: i kid you not!!

Edited by nong38

T.T A.K.P.Phet.

I have been authourised by the People Repubic of Nakhon Sawan ( Commercial department) to reply to you note from the north ( its grim up there).

Firstly, the diesel haze is not a haze but a Halo, protecting the Heavemly City like the Ouso Layer. THe heroic people of NS are all issued with respirators at birth ( should any ill and life threatening atmospheres drift down from the adjacent province). On a point of interest we have many green trees in Nakhon Sawan, some of them feshly painted only last week and they only use brown when green is in short supply, it comes from the north and it has been known for riff raff from the province to the north to attack paint convoys heading for NS.

The solar eclipse some of your citizens encountered are only seen through a bottle of Chang or Tiger, so I say no more.

Fog lights are advisable as you pass the by pass route 122, I would suggest braking at the traffic lights and turning left after about 200 yards calling in that the German Haus for an inexpensive meal with bevys before joining all the justle and bustle that is Nakhon Sawan, often compared to Rio De Janerio ( in a bad light ).

I must try and visit KP again soon, they would not let off the bus. said my paperworking was not in order!

Mae Sot bus terminal reminded me of an old western town, all that was needed was the tumble weeds, we had everything else even a hotel. Room 150 bts, with bed 180bts :bah: i kid you not!!

I know what you mean about the B/S at M/S I had to pick some one up there once.

I see no reason to decry the accommodation there, at least it's one step up from the Pimarn hotel you know the one that supplies free trip's to the local hospital if you find yourself short of breath during the early hour's.

As we have mentioned before even N/S peep's are welcome to try out our local sight seeing trip's. For a full itinerary of same please first apply in writing enclosing a snap/photo of yourself to T.T.A K.P.Phet.

Re the Rio De Janerio bit, does that mean that some of the peep's there ware those skimpy bathing out fit's. If so we might start including N/S on our sight seeing trip's. Also an update opening time's of said brew Haus just in case some of our member's get lost and need a Wee Wee, or Buddha forbid a light snack.

Very sorry about not being able to exit the bus, but we do run a strict dress code here, and the paper's not in order is the normal ruse we use. The good news is that having been on one of our trip's you are issued a badge displaying of same will open a lot of door's.

T.T.A.K.P.Phet

Edited by fredob43

T.T A.K.P.Phet.

I know what you mean about the B/S at M/S I had to pick some one up there once.

I see no reason to decry the accommodation there, at least it's one step up from the Pimarn hotel you know the one that supplies free trip's to the local hospital if you find yourself short of breath during the early hour's.

As we have mentioned before even N/S peep's are welcome to try out our local sight seeing trip's. For a full itinerary of same please first apply in writing enclosing a snap/photo of yourself to T.T.A K.P.Phet.

Re the Rio De Janerio bit, does that mean that some of the peep's there ware those skimpy bathing out fit's. If so we might start including N/S on our sight seeing trip's. Also an update opening time's of said brew Haus just in case some of our member's get lost and need a Wee Wee, or Buddha forbid a light snack.

Very sorry about not being able to exit the bus, but we do run a strict dress code here, and the paper's not in order is the normal ruse we use. The good news is that having been on one of our trip's you are issued a badge displaying of same will open a lot of door's.

T.T.A.K.P.Phet

Peeps in NS certainly dont wear skimmpy bathing suits, Nakhon sawan is like Rio with a halo. The German Haus I can recommend before you visit it is also a bit of a garden centre, we will go tomorrow.

The dress code in KKP did baffle me I must confess, as we turned off the AH1 why are all these peeps walkiing around in penguin suites? Good lord they have been out in the sun too long unless they were getting ready for the final of Strictly come Dancing, or in some cases MINCING :blink: Tattos none, earings none, hankercief on head none, trousers rolled up to the knees none, then it struck me, I was the only one wearing a seat belt, silly me :o .

Had a bit of breeze today so the haze has gone, good time visit I would say and a good reason to leave the gas mask at home. Toodle pip and TTFN.

I understand that the Mae Sot bus service does have pick up and drop off points along the way, how you find out where they are though would need local knowledge, but this is now a good option and its welcome to save time and money, even if Mae Sot bus station sounds a bit daunting.

• 3 weeks later...

We drove up to Mae Sot yesterday from Mae Wong roads were OK. Remember the yellow no passing lines are mearly a sugestion. If you have a Thai National Traveling with you remember to get a day Pass in order for tem to enter Myanmar the Thai office that issues these is @ one K on the left had side of the road from the crossing at the friendship bridge 30 Baht fee and an additional 30 Baht at the check point For the expats on a visa run the fee in Myammar is 500 Baht. All the immagration officers on both sides of the boarder were plesant and helpfull.

We drove up to Mae Sot yesterday from Mae Wong roads were OK. Remember the yellow no passing lines are mearly a sugestion. If you have a Thai National Traveling with you remember to get a day Pass in order for tem to enter Myanmar the Thai office that issues these is @ one K on the left had side of the road from the crossing at the friendship bridge 30 Baht fee and an additional 30 Baht at the check point For the expats on a visa run the fee in Myammar is 500 Baht. All the immagration officers on both sides of the boarder were plesant and helpfull.

Did you go into Burma if so is there anything to see other than the odd bar or two. Shopping ECT, I have been to M/S and taken the G/L several time's and have never bothered to get her a pass, it's always been over and back as quick as poss. But if it's worth a look will take her in to look around. Thank's in advance for any info.
  • Like 1

You made the smart move, not much to see, Chang at Thai prices, nice Temple, do it once and get the T shirt.

Thank's for that will be going in a couple of week's, will do the usual over and back. Will just leave the G/L having a cup of coffee/coke on the Thai side.

Ah, you have got me there..Ive never been on the Bus,but its so small a town. Coming from the Bridge /Airport into the Town there is a Pink Building, turn left up to the Police Station, its in that road,but its easy parking in their forecourt.All the Locals know it anyway, He does fresh Baguettes and Non Plastic Cheese, he also sends Arabica Beans to all countries. His Wife cuts my steak up as though im 5 , nice atmosphere., nice family.coffee1.gif

Where is the police station in respect to the Bust station?

The main police station is in Thanon Intharakhiri (from my old Lonely Planets map} it is the one way main exit road going thro the town heading east. The said restaurant is in the Soi across from the police station, just in the Soi after the pork shop. I use it weekly and recommend.

Hope that helps.

Did you go into Burma if so is there anything to see other than the odd bar or two. Shopping ECT, I have been to M/S and taken the G/L several time's and have never bothered to get her a pass, it's always been over and back as quick as poss. But if it's worth a look will take her in to look around. Thank's in advance for any info.

Fredob43

It was pretty much over and back my wife was not thrilled at all by the Burmise folks typical boarder town kind of thing she was a little anxious. We ate at a nice Thai resturant very good food about a block down the road right hand side Thai side some famous rice noodel dish sorry I do not remember the name.

Moe

Fredob43

It was pretty much over and back my wife was not thrilled at all by the Burmise folks typical boarder town kind of thing she was a little anxious. We ate at a nice Thai resturant very good food about a block down the road right hand side Thai side some famous rice noodel dish sorry I do not remember the name.

Moe

Good restaurant to try food ok not expensive the place is stunning open 10am till 10pm & the best toilet's in Thailand !!!!! use them even if you don't need to. Coming from the bridge turn left T/Light's on the 105 to Mae Ramat about 1.5km on the left just passed the petrol station I think Esso, name phonetic Cow Mow Cow Fung. Give it a go if only to use the toilet's or look around the water garden's, they are very proud of the place and rightly so, so neither a problem. If anyone is not impressed I'll buy them a beer. The Canadian place is Ok but not in the same league nor is any other restaurant in Mae Sot come to that. The best restaurant in Thailand I don't know but has got to be in the top 10.

Can I claim the beer in advance?giggle.gif

No you have got to try it first. And it's no good telling porkies, I shall be asking question's. Like what type of bird's that swim are there. How big/What type of water lilies. So you cant jump the gun.

Can I go 50/50 or phone a friend?

If I was you I would go 50/50 rumour has it all of your friend's in N/S spend most of their time coughing and spluttering. I can hear their reply down the phone now, it's a wheeze, wheeze, it's no cough, cough, choke, choke. Hope that splutter, splutter, help's Dave.

T.T.A.K.P.Phet.

Edited by fredob43

• 10 months later...

Anyone get any good pills in Burma that are harder to get over the counter in thailand?

I wouldn't get anything in Burma Mae Sot's a no no every thing I seen there are copies. Look out for your local Mar and Par chemist's and you will get anything you want. N/B not in tourist place's but any large town.

Fredob43

Moe

Good restaurant to try food ok not expensive the place is stunning open 10am till 10pm & the best toilet's in Thailand !!!!! use them even if you don't need to. Coming from the bridge turn left T/Light's on the 105 to Mae Ramat about 1.5km on the left just passed the petrol station I think Esso, name phonetic Cow Mow Cow Fung. Give it a go if only to use the toilet's or look around the water garden's, they are very proud of the place and rightly so, so neither a problem. If anyone is not impressed I'll buy them a beer. The Canadian place is Ok but not in the same league nor is any other restaurant in Mae Sot come to that. The best restaurant in Thailand I don't know but has got to be in the top 10.

I don't drink beer but would like to have a look

Fredob43

Moe

I don't drink beer but would like to have a look

Don't like to have a look go there, if your impressed you can buy me a beer. Mine's a Tiger. If you can only do 4 day's in KPP don't go to N/S 4 hour's you'll be packing your bag's, that's of course if you've unpacked them in the first place.

H/M

K.P.PHET.

W/H CITY.

Edited by fredob43