Working Visa For Tefl Teachers

Hi there, Just a few questions about a working visa for a non University Degree holder with TEFL certification. I heard from JD at new bar in Chiang Mai to work in schools in Thailand a degree is required but a visa waiver can be obtained, I have since heard that this is not possible as the labour and education department require absolutely a degree. I know of non graduates and indeed non tefl certified people working in Schools for a much lesser salary (around 40k/month). I´d like to know 1) how to get around the degree requirements 2) find a job Teaching English in a School 3) if a degree is absolutely required to work in an English academy, of which there are many. In Europe its the same - a degree to teach in government or private schools; only a TEFL for English academy´s. I have considered "obtaining" a degree.

I thank you for your honest email but if you want a work permit in Thailand and a teaching license you have to have a degree or some sort of a diploma, labour department is going around schools now and checking on this issue. We only take people who do have degrees so that we can register them with the Labour and Educational Department in Bangkok. I have been in Thailand for 5 years and that is what you need,a tefl/tesol certificate and a Bachelor's degree in any field.Regards

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Scott
formatting

If the language school is willing to sponsor you as an employee, you can get a Non-B visa and WP without a degree. I have a few close friends that are here with all the correct Visa/WP paperwork but no degree. That being said, your stated salary will be very low 15K-20K, but as you are actually getting paid by the hour, you can end up making far more than the teachers at the government schools.

I don't think this would be the case for most universities, government schools, International schools.

If the language school is willing to sponsor you as an employee, you can get a Non-B visa and WP without a degree. I have a few close friends that are here with all the correct Visa/WP paperwork but no degree. That being said, your stated salary will be very low 15K-20K, but as you are actually getting paid by the hour, you can end up making far more than the teachers at the government schools.

I don't think this would be the case for most universities, government schools, International schools.

Thanks Steve, out of interest what would be the going hourly rate? Chiang Mai? BKK? Krabi? Phuket? etc and..a curious question remains what then about going self employed working from Academy to academy and how would one go about doing this?

I have heard hourly rate being between 200 - 250Bhats /hr pretty much be 1000 per day for 4-5hrs work 20k fairly achievable.

Thanks Mario..for moving to a better area of the forum.

In Chiangmai the going rate, for unqualified teachers, is 200 - 300 baht per hour, depending on 'school', age of students, numbers in the class, etc.

Most of this teaching takes place in the evenings, 6pm to 8pm; daytime lessons are few and far between as most students are at school/working.

You'll be unlikely to get 4-5hrs work a day and there won't be work every day.

You can make up some time at weekends, but holidays (when schools are closed) or classes cancelled because the students are off elsewhere, really mess up your budget.

You cannot be self-employed. Each place you work must be on your work permit.

The first place to get your work permit has to agree to other places being added.

If there's a conflict of times, the first employer (even if giving lower pay/less hours) will expect to be given precedence.

Edited by Ginkas

'Ginkas' had pretty much hit it straight on about WP's for each school and number of hours to expect.

I don't necessarily agree with the "unqualified" description. An unqualified teacher should not be teaching whatsoever, however I don't think someone with a B.A. in Art History is any more qualified than the 70 Yr old school teacher that has had a career teaching English for 40yrs because she was not required to have a degree when she started.

Many schools do offer hours from 10am-12pm, they are mostly Koreans, Japanese and other Asians in Thailand that want to learn English.

Most schools have a policy to not pay the teacher if the student does not show. There are more professional schools that do pay though, just have to check first.

You are not legally allowed to do "privates". That being said, this is the way most teachers supplement there income. There are even places that rent classrooms for ~50B/hr.

Most leech students from the schools they teach at, offering extra hours around their schedules. Some have found some niche areas to teach(business English, bar English, etc etc) and advertise them at local school, universities, web.

In Chiangmai the going rate, for unqualified teachers, is 200 - 300 baht per hour, depending on 'school', age of students, numbers in the class, etc.

Most of this teaching takes place in the evenings, 6pm to 8pm; daytime lessons are few and far between as most students are at school/working.

You'll be unlikely to get 4-5hrs work a day and there won't be work every day.

You can make up some time at weekends, but holidays (when schools are closed) or classes cancelled because the students are off elsewhere, really mess up your budget.

You cannot be self-employed. Each place you work must be on your work permit.

The first place to get your work permit has to agree to other places being added.

If there's a conflict of times, the first employer (even if giving lower pay/less hours) will expect to be given precedence.

So you are "obtaining" that degree on KSR?

Glad I don't know any kids you will be "teaching."

"Obtaining" I did not say buying. I´m just a few credits short...Obtaing, as in getting in contact with my University to find if

1) I can study online

2) already have the credits - just take the exams but in other areas like languages.

Having an Engineering degree won´t make me any better or any lesser of a teacher of the English Language as it unrelated.

Any student (of whatever age) would be lucky to be taught by myself, absolutely no doubt about that - whatever language I teach or teach in.