Caution About Atm Scam Artist Working In Kata/Karon Area

LivinginKata

I want to warn members about a scam artist working ATMs in the local area. I took some money from the Kasikorn bank ATM on Patak Road, Karon. I was just walking away when a pleasant young man caught me and said I had left 1,000 baht note in the machine. And he handed me the note and encouraged me to put my card back in to make sure the transaction had been completed. Now this made no sense to me as I was sure I had taken all the money but I was flustered by the whole incident. I don't check how much money I get out of the machine until later so I could not be sure. So I (stupidly) put the card back in again, logged in, everything Ok (how would I know), and cancelled the transaction. Walked away and thanked the guy. He was about 30, farang, blond hair, English sounded like a French accent. So I watched him, he made his transaction at the ATM . Mmmm .. so I checks my money and sure enough I now had 1,000 baht over. Alarm bells, goes into bank to check balance. All Ok. Still worry, check balance later in the day Ok. Tell my wife about this later in the day, she checks bank balance Ok. She urges me to cancel my ATM card, I think that's an over reaction. Now over a week later I check my bank balance and just yesterday 50 grand gone (20 + 20 + 10 same day). Straight to bank to cancel card and as a precaution take all the money out. Say again members beware. Making a police report to access any ATM video available (bank won't do it, only police can access). I'm not expecting any remedy, but at least I can tell Thaivisa members to take care.

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

advanced scam, he gives you 1000 baht to gain your trust, and then your guard is down and you follow his advice to try card again, which would have told me absolutely nothing as I wouldnt know my balance prior to withdrawel

and he is doing this to an obvious expat, not a tourist

sorry for your loss

howcome only 50k baht, dayly limit?

Sorry about your loss, but your posting was invaluable in as much as it reminded us all about the fact that any ATM transaction has to be approached with caution and also brought to light another scam.

I am sure that if this now happens to any of us reading that your post will save us money.

A complete list of ATM scams on this site would be invaluable.

Perhaps it could be done Wiki-like and made up of contributors like you.

I once had a Thai guy, behind me, helping me with the punch-ins as I had left my glasses at home. I did wonder afterwards about his motives, but these must have been genuine as no fraudulant transactions followed.

These cheating b-----s make us suspect even the good people. Sad really.

Sorry, I still don't get how he accessed your account. Even if he saw you typing in the pin number, he didn't have your card.

That's what I am thinking, and I made sure he did not see me typing in the PIN (as far as I know). The bank tells me that he could have had some sort of skimmer attachment. I think that's all so far fetched and not worth consideration. All I know is that I am 50 grand down, there was an odd incident the week before, and this is the first time I have experience such an incident and such a loss.

// and it's now obvious that the 1,000 baht 'left' was a distraction. Come on... how often does that happen to you KB.

Sorry, I still don't get how he accessed your account. Even if he saw you typing in the pin number, he didn't have your card.

That's what I am thinking, and I made sure he did not see me typing in the PIN (as far as I know). The bank tells me that he could have had some sort of skimmer attachment. I think that's all so far fetched and not worth consideration. All I know is that I am 50 grand down, there was an odd incident the week before, and this is the first time I have experience such an incident and such a loss.

what I have read in other cases, its a card magnetic stripe reader. A foil over keyboard recording pin, or cameras as small as usb stick. obviously a waste to use this on a local with 9k baht a month, so he picks his target

smartcards with chips are supposed to avoid this

what I have read in other cases, its a card magnetic stripe reader. A foil over keyboard recording pin, or cameras as small as usb stick. obviously a waste to use this on a local with 9k baht a month, so he picks his target

Yes, I know what you mean KBB. That's why I always use ATMs at a bank branch and never at a remote location (such as mini mart). Hard to believe that a scam artist could set this up in the middle of a busy work day at the bank. The only other explanation that it's some sort of bank error, but they absolutely tell me the money was withdrawn at another bank's ATM. Waiting (a long time ... if ever) for the police to follow up.

// and it's now obvious that the 1,000 baht 'left' was a distraction. Come on... how often does that happen to you KB.

Which Kasikorn ATM was that? Would like to avoid that one if it was a skimmer.

Yes, I know what you mean KBB. That's why I always use ATMs at a bank branch and never at a remote location (such as mini mart). Hard to believe that a scam artist could set this up in the middle of a busy work day at the bank. The only other explanation that it's some sort of bank error, but they absolutely tell me the money was withdrawn at another bank's ATM. Waiting (a long time ... if ever) for the police to follow up.

its obviously a scam, as atm automaticly correct withdrawel amount in account if supplying to few or to many notes. happend to me several times, atm supplies only 19 notes, and next day withdrawn amount is not 20k baht as requested, but 19k baht as supplied

Unfortunately, the police won't do anything and your bank won't make good the money.

Only time I've been scammed was with my visa card. US$10,000 was used from my card in Thailand.

As I could prove that I was in Vietnam for the whole period and that I had my card with me (I used it there), the bank gave me back all the money plus costs very quickly.

I actually know what happened. I bought a suit in Siam Paragon, Bangkok and used my card to pay for it. The staff must have passed on the number, name and security number to a scammer with a blank card.

This is why the only place in Asia I will use my Visa card as a credit card is in Singapore.

Did he ever touch your ATM card?

Did you check the slit where your ATM card goes in to see if there was an "add-on"?

Good point KB. I will compound my stupidity by saying that I put the card back in the slot myself, input PIN, cancel and card out. He grabs the card from me, stick in the slot, stands back, and I do the business. So yes he did handle my card the second time. It's vaguely possible that he palmed some magnetic film on my card, or maybe he did not catch my PIN the first time. Hard to believe but maybe possible if he is a good scam artist. As for checking the ATM slit, come on, I'm just making a routine money stop at my local ATM. Nothing suspicious looking about the machine, and I do look as I have seen photos in PG of the skimmer 'overlay' in other publicised scams. I suppose that's why I am highlighting this case.

cameras smaller than a fingernail can be bought for a couple bucks. Anyways you dont need the pin when the guy can just have a merchant account for a fake business and swipe your card like at 7/11.

Then it is not ATM transaction anymore, and an appeal to the bank could be successful. Now LiK stands no chance, sorry.

Another thing you could have done, since you suspected it may be a scam, was go to another ATM and change your PIN number... I have done it with my Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank accounts. I should probably transfer some small amount to one of my other accounts and use that ATM card instead of using the ATM card from my main account as well. Sorry for your loss and thanks for the heads up. I have read about a similar scam before.

Edited by Jimi007

Another thing you could have done, since you suspected it may be a scam, was go to another ATM and change your PIN number... I have done it with my Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank accounts. <snip>

Right this minute my dear wife is ranting the exact same thing. Oh well ... lesson learned and pay the price.

Wouldnt the Cameara have something on film? Perhaps one of the news papers will follow it up? But I would think as it happened at teh bank at the ATM there would be something captured..if the camerea was on and it was working and it has no been erased and someone knows how to operate it and..

Reading threads like this is probably the biggest advantage of me participating in TV.

Gone are the days I carelessly used ATM's at remote locations like gasstations. When using an ATM, I cover the keyboard with one hand whilst typing in the number with the other hand. A few years ago, when using an ATM at a bank, a bank employee taking me for a tourist (I look like one) came close to me, eager to assist. Unlikely this guy would have had fraudulent intentions, but I changed the PIN number on the same day nevertheless.

Thanks for the info LIK.

I am very close to this group of banks and I'll post a note in the guesthouse to warn customers, as I assume the scam could also work with foreign cards.

Pickpockets are also working in that area, the latest example being a late night incident with a local business owner. The thief just sat next to him, asked him to use his lighter and whilst searching in one pocket for the lighter, his wallet was deftly removed from another.

sorry to hear about losing so much money but appreciate you telling people about it, has anyone encountered the farang sounds Australian, he approaches you and asks to borrow money to fill up his car, this happened to me a few months back my answer was no!!

sorry to hear about losing so much money but appreciate you telling people about it, has anyone encountered the farang sounds Australian, he approaches you and asks to borrow money to fill up his car, this happened to me a few months back my answer was no!!

Thanks for the loan Kenny, that was me !