Statelessness In Chiangrai

Joel Barlow

I was picking the Kids up from school late evening on the 24th from a School trip. A lady referred to my Kids as 'farang Noi' . it certainly wasn't meant as an Insult. But what as it got to do with statelessness in CR ? The Farang subject has been discussed hundreds of time's on here already. some take offence some don't.

Thats an interesting word in hawaii though, Haole ... Thats probably the US influence , after all who doesn't get called an a-Hole occasionally smile.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thai nationality bill is going thru parliament this week

"My mother-in-law and two of her children who live with me remain stateless, although I know quite well that the 8 year old was born in Thailand (having paid at the hospital for what was necessary to keep him alive).

So I found this article interesting: http://www.trust.org...et-citizenship/"

Since 1971 being born in Thailand to alien parents no longer gave an automatic right to Thai citizenship. Thai citizenship comes automatically only through descent from a Thai parent no matter where you are born in the world. I haven't read the new nationality act yet. I believe it will theoretically help many stateless people born in Thailand, including those who come from those areas that were in Thailand before the border was moved and they became part of Burma. Like the previous act of 2008 and earlier cabinet resolutions, however, the emphasis still seems to be on certain categories of stateless persons rather than coming up with blanket solution for all or most of them. Without knowing the exact circumstances of the OP's in laws, it is impossible to comment on their situation.

I would suggest deleting the trivial comments about "farangs" that have derailed the topic.

Edited by Arkady