What Kind Is This Fish, From My Pond?

I was given this fish at the beginning of the year. I have no idea what kind it is, but it has started getting a little aggressive. Does anyone know what kind of fish it is and if they are should be kept alone?

Yes, i know this fish it is called the "purple pla nim" eat them now before they get too aggessive. Try pan frying with butter and garlic-aloy-maak :o

They are nice with a plate of rice! Get quite big actually, where I worked had a couple of 2 ft plus specimens.

If it's getting aggresive I wouldn't put another one of the same species in with it as the agression will be turned on that fish. Better to just leave it alone, or stick it on the BBQ. :o

Plaa Radd has a bump on head.. look like horn in Rhino , thats why we call Plaa Raad (Raad = Rhino)

basically Pla Radd is omnivore, eat both plant and animal ..when its young it likes to eat small animal as planton, tad pole ,worm . small frog

when its adult , loves to eat plant as morning glory ,algae ,barn and cooked rice

Edited by BambinA

Are you sure this picture isn't upside down?

No, that's the way they look. But aggressive? I have a few thousand of them and they get along well with each other and other kinds of fish too. Very easy to catch compared to pla taptim etc though...

WHat do you need to grow them lingling?

Flourescent light. Hang it on a bamboo stick half a meter (2 ft) over the surface, switch it on at 5PM and off at 7:30PM. Attracts all kinds of insects and gives them a feast.

The unorganic alternative is the who-knows-whats-in-them "fish food" protein pellets spiked with antibiotics. Good if you want to sell the fish, not so good if you want to eat it yourself.

Besides that, almost all vegetation in our little lake is eaten by the fish but I am not sure if that is the pla raed or any of the other ones.

When fishing we usually bait with bread, worms or pork and 99% of the time that will land pla raed although they only make up 1/3 of the population in the pond.

"Flourescent light. Hang it on a bamboo stick half a meter (2 ft) over the surface, switch it on at 5PM and off at 7:30PM. Attracts all kinds of insects and gives them a feast."

This comment has made my day!

Proud owner of 50 pla duk, I have been wondering what to feed them alternatively to the ready-made pellets!

16.49 now, I'll get the extension lead out and try it now.

Plaa Radd has a  bump on head.. look like  horn  in Rhino ,  thats  why we call Plaa Raad  (Raad = Rhino)

basically Pla Radd  is  omnivore,  eat both plant and  animal ..when  its young it likes to eat small animal  as  planton, tad pole ,worm . small frog

when  its adult ,  loves  to eat plant as  morning glory ,algae ,barn and cooked rice

Big lips but I wouldn't want to kiss it!

I guess that this ugly fish is for eating rather than looking at. We may dig a pond next year when other jobs are out of the way (such as finishing building the house!) so a bit of advice would be very welcome from anyone with experience of pondlife, please:

What fish might survive in a pond alongside this brute?

What are the minimum dimensions of a pond when keeping fairly big fish such as this one or carp?

"Flourescent light. Hang it on a bamboo stick half a meter (2 ft) over the surface, switch it on at 5PM and off at 7:30PM. Attracts all kinds of insects and gives them a feast."

This comment has made my day!

Proud owner of 50 pla duk, I have been wondering what to feed them alternatively to the ready-made pellets!

16.49 now, I'll get the extension lead out and try it now.

Be really careful in wet grass around the pond and don't drop the tube in the water or you will be another farang statistic!

LingLing, I need some more help.

I now have a flori lamp 4 inches above the water level.

I switch it on at dusk.

The insects come buzzing along and drop nicely in the water.

But the fish just ignore them.

OK tell me, how do I train my fish to eat them ?

LingLing, I need some more help.

I now have a flori lamp 4 inches above the water level.

I switch it on at dusk.

The insects come buzzing along and drop nicely in the water.

But the fish just ignore them.

OK tell me, how do I train my fish to eat them ?

What kind of fish? If they are plant eaters they will probably not be too interested in bugs...

You may find it takes them a while to get used to this new food source. Perhaps chuck in a few pellets for them as well and when they take them they will get onto to the idea that the insects are food too.

Mix it up a bit and when they start eating the bugs stop feeding them the pellets at the same time. Fish often get used to one kind of food and thats all they take, so you may have to wean them onto the bugs.

Ungrateful sods ain't they! :o