Dispute Between Phuket Expats May Lead To Charges Of Extortion

Lite Beer

Dispute between Phuket expats may lead to charges of extortion

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: Police yesterday arrested a restaurant owner in Phuket’s busy tourist town of Patong, on Phuket’s west coast, after he visited another Patong restaurant owner and threatened him if he didn’t “repay” 7 million baht.

Lt Col Tammasan Boonsong told the Phuket Gazette today that he arrived at Orient Restaurant at 7pm last night with a squad of police officers and a warrant for the arrest of the restaurant's owner, Naser Amim Mohammad Mansour, 45, from Jordan.

“When we arrived at the restaurant, we found Mr Naser inside. We presented the warrant and arrested him. His Thai personal bodyguards were also there, but we arrested him anyway,” he said.

Lt Col Tammasan explained that the alleged extortion followed a complaint being filed at Patong Police Station by a foreigner on December 14.

“The case involves a personal conflict between two business partners. Mr Naser told me that he did take his bodyguards when he visited the man who filed the complaint, but only because he was trying to get his money back,” said Lt Col Tammasan.

“They opened a restaurant in Bangkok together, but Mr Naser [allegedly] did not receive any of the profits as promised. That is why he went to see his business partner with a group of Thai bodyguards – in order to get his money back.

“I will have to investigate further before deciding whether or not we will file any charges,” he added.

The arrest follows Patong Police Superintendent Col Arayapan Pukbuakao on December 14 reportedly ordering his troops to clean up any outstanding cases of extortion reported to Patong police.

That same day, December 14, the foreigner filed the complaint of alleged extortion.

Lt Col Kittipong Klaikaew brought the case to the attention of Col Arayapan, who ordered his officers to immediately launch an investigation.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11748.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-12-19

“When we arrived at the restaurant, we found Mr Naser inside. We presented the warrant and arrested him. His Thai personal bodyguards were also there, but we arrested him anyway,” he said.

Says it all.

lol yes

and

“I will have to investigate further before deciding whether or not we will file any charges,” he added.

so they will see how much tea money is involved,

Says it all.

lol yes

and

his body guards were probably behinde the old bill

Memories of the late 1980's, holidaying in Phuket, wonderful, relaxing and never needing to look back over one's shoulder and be able to board any Tuk Tuk carefree.

Now......................?

You are so right, back then it was really nice.... Now, i just stay away ?..... wacko.gif

Why would a restaurant owner require bodyguards?

Shady people, running shady businesses, doing shady deals.

It is probable that the restaurant is a front for some other backroom activities.

There are a lot of shady farangs too :P

That is why the farangs come to Thailand, so they can be shady.

Corruption rules, so shadyness is the way money is made by Thai or Farang

Says it all.

lol yes

and

Nothing new. Majority of them are more interest in fattening their own pocket rather than involve dedicatingly in solving criminal cases by identifying who is the real victim and who is the culprit. They are just bunch of lazy @ss who ruin the dignity of a police force reputation.

I have seen with my own eyes these stuck up police driving a SLK merc sport convertible. Cannot understand how their salary can afford one and wonder if the corruption buerea are still sleeping :whistling:

the restaurant's owner, Naser Amim Mohammad Mansour, 45, from Jordan.

Really? How does he get to own a bar? Where's his work permit?

Heeps of twinings tea money here i would think.

As I read it, both of the restaurant owners are foreigners?

Yep can see how this is good work by the BIB to clear up reported extortion in Pucket.

When will the bib learn that the joke is not on them. But it is them.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Memories of the late 1980's, holidaying in Phuket, wonderful, relaxing and never needing to look back over one's shoulder and be able to board any Tuk Tuk carefree.

Now......................?

You are so right, back then it was really nice.... Now, i just stay away ?..... wacko.gif

Yes me to, had some really great holidays there, good fun in a fun place, returned 3 years ago, hotel was great, the rest i am sorry to say was absolute shit, will never go back again :(

never heard restaurant owner ( even 3 stars Michelin) need bodyguards ............ nothing surprise me anymore in the land of fake smile !!!

They do if they have a great menu and some magnificent food. licklips.gif

Gordon Ramsey visited a restaurant he was backing in a city I was in and he had alot of security personnel.

Mind, you I don't think our man's Nasir's kebobs or fish quite compare to Gordon's beef wellington.

patong /phuket...

walking along the beach road a chap from india selling stuff claims to know me from facebook,

i don't have facebook.

the whole time do you want to buy this or that or a suite?its 33 c no thanks.

another guy tryed to sell me pot outside of burger king,no thanks.

can't sit on the beach in peace or someone will try and sell you some useless crap.

after two hours i was drained of of my energy and the fun of being in thailand,

never going back to that ...

their are better places in thailand where you can window shop and not be haselt.

plus i tend to buy stuff when not harrased