Volunteer Teaching Work - Visa Issues?

chonabot

I have been asked if I would like to voulunteer Teach at my village school - more in earlier posts.

I was planning to start /look for Teaching work early next year - after my 120 hours course.

I have a BA and experience as a Language instructor in India.

The idea was for me to teach a few hours a week - and then they would offer me a job ( see previous post about TL etc )

The school like the idea - plus they would like to publicise the fact ( in other words make themselves look good in the community )

I have no qualms about doing some free hours - but the fact remains I have no work permit yet and do not wish to incur the wrath of the Immigration Department.

Should I politely decline, explaining my reasons as best I can?

My wife, no expert admittedly, has tried to convince me the Headteacher will cover all bases and this need not be an issue.

I have my doubts, but do not wish to fall out with a potential employer ( plus the school is literally 200 yards away )

Be very, very careful about violating immigration laws. This could mess things up for you in the long term. Your best bet is to obtain a non-immigrant visa and have the school apply for a work permit. Although it's technically illegal, most teachers start work while the paper work is being processed and there seems to be few problems if everyone is headed down the direction of following the regulations.

Since the school is planning on hiring you, they can make the necessary applications even if you are a volunteer.

Be very, very careful about violating immigration laws. This could mess things up for you in the long term. Your best bet is to obtain a non-immigrant visa and have the school apply for a work permit. Although it's technically illegal, most teachers start work while the paper work is being processed and there seems to be few problems if everyone is headed down the direction of following the regulations.

Since the school is planning on hiring you, they can make the necessary applications even if you are a volunteer.

Thanks Scott - as you say, if they are intent on hiring me it should not pose a problem.

I had planned to take things slower - but life is what happens when we are busy planning :)

Edited by chonabot

get a work permit and provisional teaching license to volunteer. If caught without 5yrs in jail, deported and a fine. work permit is 800 baht and easy to get and provisional license is 500 baht.

I have received a job offer now and will go the correct route :)

I volunteer at my local school in a rural area which is very poor a small school which combines P1 & P2, P3 &P4, P5 &P6 together with three Thai teachers. They also have a kindergarten. I do about 2 and half hours one day a week. I am no teacher and no plans to teach in my life I am retired and just give time to the kids in my community. I will never accept the fact I would need a work permit to do this and I will never. I am here on a retirement visa and don't believe you could call this work.. Just let someone try to do anything about it.

Edited by Nowhereman60

I volunteer at my local school in a rural area which is very poor a small school which combines P1 & P2, P3 &P4, P5 &P6 together with three Thai teachers. They also have a kindergarten. I do about 2 and half hours one day a week. I am no teacher and no plans to teach in my life I am retired and just give time to the kids in my community. I will never accept the fact I would need a work permit to do this and I will never. I am here on a retirement visa and don't believe you could call this work.. Just let someone try to do anything about it.

It simply is the law. Will you have a problem? probably not, but if there is a problem you could face deportation.

An accident for instance while you are teaching could lead to questions about your work permit. The choice and risk is yours.