Kit Car Manufacturing In Thailand

theinjuneer

Hi guys,

My first post and I hope somebody can answer a few questions related to kit cars over here.

I picked up on a few threads before but everybody talks of importing stuff and the grief of duties/registration, etc.

What if the car is manufactured over here and just uses an imported engine and drive train. Can you legally get the car registered and does it need to pass any tests.

If they can use thai made tuk tuks on the road here then can you effectively go through the same process to get the vehicle road legal (not withstanding the operating license issues with tuk tuks). I'm assuming these contraptions couldn't pass any safety related tests anywhere on the planet. i had to help a mate get 2 through sva tests in the uk. Structurally, they're shit. I still wouldn't have given the car an MOT even after the beefed up seat belt mountings, etc. And these were new , albeit with second hand engines..

I also came up to CM by train this time and saw many modded bikes with a 2 wheeled load deck on the front in P'lok. This would be a big mod in the uk and maybe this would be considered a new vehicle by some.

Does the hassle just come with 4 wheels? Any government depts that can help? Definitive answers would be good - I once went into CM BOI office to get some gen on starting a business (not a bar) and he was reading from a totally different song sheet to the guys who wrote the BOI website. I now treat all info with a good helping of scepticism over here but would appreciate anythin g anyone can throw my way.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

I used to talk to myself a lot until I realised I wasn't listening.

• 1 month later...

I see that no one answered any of your questions?? I'm interested in the same subject.

I'm sure some of these younger generation that are really into cars have modified a few exstenively,...wonder if they go thru any particular inspections for road worthiness?

There are a few guys on this forum who do make kit cars... Porsche 356 replicas I think.

Also, there is one topic asking about Westfeild cars (there is also a company in Thailand which imports these).

The issue I see is that none of the guys in the know ever confirm 100% that these cars can readily be made road legal. I'm therefore assuming they cant (but might be mistaken).....

I'd like to know for sure and will follow this topic as I really like the idea of the 356 replica or a Westfeild for fun road trips as I find that riding a motorbike over here is simply too dangerous.

The issue I see is that none of the guys in the know ever confirm 100% that these cars can readily be made road legal. I'm therefore assuming they cant (but might be mistaken).....

I'd like to know for sure and will follow this topic

Sounds exactly like the problem as far as I can tell from looking thru the forums.

,,,so much RED tape that its just not worth all the hassle

Half the reason I decided I couldn't live here full time (and spend my retirement money all here), just too many petty restrictions. I'll just have to spend half my time in the good old USA

Edited by boatguy

Boatguy.

Probably registered as a Toyota. As long as the frame# and the engine# are the same as the blue book, you will not have any problems. Thai or farang doesn't matter.

This and the engine is well under what a REAL Ferrari would be... And no doubt still sounds like a Toyota so not likely to fool too many people once you press the throttle and the motocys are passing you sad.png . I can't imagine a better illustration of a poser... Though I admit they seem to have done a great job on the surface anyways.

Edited by WarpSpeed