90% Import Tax On A Lithium Battery

MastaMak

Hi,

I just wanted to know if they is a way around or if this is normal:

Ordered a lithium battery for my bike from a US website, price 110 USD. Paid the shipping costs via FedEx express about 40 USD.

Now it's been 2 weeks already and today I receive news from FedEx saying my package has been delayed customs, they want a copy of my passport.

After sending them a copy I receive (see attached pdf -> edit: picture), a fee of 2,790 baht, which is about 90% of the value of my battery. I find this outrageous.

Is this normal? Anyone had any similar experience?

post-58358-0-35523000-1324542447_thumb.j

Edited by MastaMak

The solution is to not use FedEx or any of the other couriers.

The duty itself is about $45 (40%), the killer is their Clearance Charge.

You may want to edit that PDF to remove your personal information, if you upload the new file to another post I'll remove the existing one for you.

I've paid up to 90% customs duties for food supplements I regularly get from my family overseas. Yes, it's outrageous, but there's nothing you can do about it, other than pay up or refuse the shipment (in the latter case, some customs officer is going to get a nice replacement battery for HIS motorbike, which is a galling thought, I know).

I've yet to see a published customs duty rate chart, (Crossy seems to have a handle on that one) and I believe you're at the mercy of any customs agent's whims regarding your import and any additional clearance charges.

The customs dept. is notoriously capricious in this regard, and it just comes with living here, along with challenging traffic, political circuses, squat toilets and the rest. Enjoy the adventure! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

You may want to edit that PDF to remove your personal information, if you upload the new file to another post I'll remove the existing one for you.

Wrong. The solution is simpler than blaming FedEx, DHL or similar.

I dont know how many time I've posted this, but here it goes again:

Tax is not calculated by FedEx, DHL or similar. Neither is the tax calculated based on the PRICE. The tax is calculated based on the VALUE. For this reason, it doesn't matter if you make a bargain or send the goods as a "gift", the item is taxed based on its value.

How come this is so difficult to understand?

Wrong. The solution is simpler than blaming FedEx, DHL or similar.

I dont know how many time I've posted this, but here it goes again:

Tax is not calculated by FedEx, DHL or similar. Neither is the tax calculated based on the PRICE. The tax is calculated based on the VALUE. For this reason, it doesn't matter if you make a bargain or send the goods as a "gift", the item is taxed based on its value.

How come this is so difficult to understand?

Because the value is about 3,000baht, on the import it says 10% tax, and I get to pay 2,790 baht...

If you look at the picture, 1,484 baht is going in FedEx's pocket.

To answer Forethat, you are quite correct in your assertions.

However, if you use USPS or your national post office then many packages get thought without customs inspection (FedEx etc ALWAYS get inspected). Even if you do get caught you only pay the actual duty set by customs not the additional Clearance Charge set by FedEx.

If you look at the picture, 1,484 baht is going in FedEx's pocket.

Sure. All of these charges were known in advance. They sell a service. I dont actually know if you are able to manage the clearance yourself.

Change freight handler if you don't like FedEx prices.

However, if you use USPS or your national post office then many packages get thought without customs inspection (FedEx etc ALWAYS get inspected). Even if you do get caught you only pay the actual duty set by customs not the additional Clearance Charge set by FedEx.

Correct.

To answer Forethat, you are quite correct in your assertions.

Agreed, especially regarding national post office--if the shipment is labeled a gift and sent by normal post, more often than not it escapes customs clearance fees and/or duty taxes.

I've only used UPS up to now and never had to pay those extra services nor did I have to send a copy of my passport.

It's good to know, never use FedEx for international shipping in Thailand. Thanks for all the information

Word of advice though. I use FedEx or DHL when I for any reason can't lose the content of the shipment. I have used couriers for more than 20 years and NEVER lost a shipment. As much as I like Thailand post I cant say the same about them.

PS.

The copy of your id card or other means of identification is to protect YOU. Stop moaning.

DS.

I have bought laptops, power tools, batteries, etc and have always had them shipped USPS and never had to pay duty. I only had to pay the 7%VAT at the post office before I could pick up the package.

I have bought laptops, power tools, batteries, etc and have always had them shipped USPS and never had to pay duty. I only had to pay the 7%VAT at the post office before I could pick up the package.

Wise choice, I learned the expensive way, but won't make the mistake twice.

Next time import to a Thai persons name and it will slip quitely under the FedEx / Thai Customs radar. smile.gif

False. It doesnt't matter.

Works for me everytime. wink.gif

I have been stung for Customs duties with equal frequency using Thai and farang name. I think it's your imagination.

What you think doesnt change my experience.

My experience is different from yours. Maybe you've been lucky; maybe I've been unlucky.

What I can tell you with 100% certainty, though, is that using a Thai name does not protect you from customs duties 100% of the time. Whether it does some of the time or not, or if you've just been lucky, I don't think you can say either.

I bought stuff for a Harley bike in USA via ebay and never had to pay more than 30% import tax upon collecting the parts at the post office.

Once I ordered shirts also via ebay (USA) and they will normally charge you 60% but I got away with 30% as they thought correctly that it was not for resale.

It was all shipped by USP.

My experience is different from yours. Maybe you've been lucky; maybe I've been unlucky.

What I can tell you with 100% certainty, though, is that using a Thai name does not protect you from customs duties 100% of the time. Whether it does some of the time or not, or if you've just been lucky, I don't think you can say either.

I can say what I want based on my experience. You dont have to try and convince me with "your imagination".

Let's just each stick to our own methods then. whistling.gif

I have shipped thru the Post Office several times and paid little or no tax.

The last item I shipped was thru BAX Global.

They could not provide a receipt for a portion of the tax.

Resist the charges and Customs will jerk you around, keep the stuff in storage for a fee and raise the rates.

For a real look into the Customs corruption, go out to the airport and try to retrieve the item by yourself.

The place is overrun with "independent operators' that intimidate the shipping company staff.