Birding And Bird Photography In Thailand

garyk

Been here for 2 years now and am into wildlife photography. Mainly birds.

Just wondering if anyone here is into wildlife photography,,,, not the two legged kind. smile.gif well maybe.LOL

If so let me know if you have any shots and where. I am a farang here traveling and birding.

Web page: www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

6552627903_ed1ec6c10c_z.jpg

Hello Garyk. Nice photo!

I am a photographer, but I'm not into bird or wildlife photography.

However, I'd like to ask you a quick question. Have you seen any humming birds here in Thailand?

There are no Hummingbirds in Thailand.

Many people confuse the various local species of Sunbirds with Hummingbrds however.

Patrick

For info on birding I would suggest Nick Uption's Thaibriding.com and for Wildlife, Paul Whitehead's Wildlifethailand.com. there's a whole bunch of links on Paul's site for other Thai wildlife related sites.

Sorry a typo - Thaibirding.com

Edited by MRToMRT

A flower-pecker perhaps.

It would almost certainly be a Sunbird; these birds bills are specifically designed (long and curved) to push deep into the flowers nectary as they hover at the entrance to the bloom to feed on the nectar or insects.

Flowerpeckers have shorter, stubbier bills, again designed for their own species' particular feeding method which is to break through the Sepal at the base of the flower - from the outside - and access the nectary that way. Hence of course the name Flowerpecker.

Patrick

Since there is a topic on birds thought I would throw one in. This is just a test of my new GH2 and 100-300 mm (200-600 35mm equivalent) Lumix lens and just a regular bird. About 25-30 meters away. I cropped out about 60% just to get an idea of sharpness with the lens and 16Mpixels sensor. Rather basic shot compared to the others posted here. Enough though that I now want to pursue this more.

post-566-0-95250000-1325262443_thumb.jpg

This is the uncropped version, just scaled down:

post-566-0-49150300-1325262830_thumb.jpg

Enough though that I now want to pursue this more.

I shot professionally for years before going on my first bird outing.. I quickly learned I wasn't appreciating the level of difficulty these guys must elevate their shooting to, to get great bird images. Birding brings everything together, equipment selection, exposure, composition, AF, and more.. and it makes you respond quickly. An outing with die hard birders can also leave you feeling a bit inadequate with your tiny 300mm F2.8L IS.. Very challenging to say the least.

I can't match you guys and don't know how you can get such closeup shots. Below I took today with my 100-300 (200-600 35mm equiv) set at 300 (600mm) and this guy is out my backdoor but a couple of hundred meters away. The nice feature is the mirror reflection in the water. There is a 2nd smaller bird in the front left and also mirror reflection in the water. The image is cropped about 50% and scaled down to fit.

heron.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tywais,

I used me 100-300mm to get the photo that I posted, however was much closer than "few hundred meters away", more like 10 to 20 meters away.

Win

I can't match you guys and don't know how you can get such closeup shots. Below I took today with my 100-300 (200-600 35mm equiv) set at 300 (600mm) and this guy is out my backdoor but a couple of hundred meters away. The nice feature is the mirror reflection in the water. There is a 2nd smaller bird in the front left and also mirror reflection in the water. The image is cropped about 50% and scaled down to fit.

Hi Tywais,

I used me 100-300mm to get the photo that I posted, however was much closer than "few hundred meters away", more like 10 to 20 meters away.

Win

At the same time I got this one also both where in a battle for this ones nest.

large.jpg

Win

Edited by Kan Win

This photo is not impressive in itself, however it was a frame capture of an HD video I made with my Panasonic GH2 testing my zoom lens. Link to the video I posted in the Best Of Thailand forum is below.

post-566-0-92003400-1326800267_thumb.jpg

HD Video here >

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What it doesn't mention is the x1.4 extender. It was a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens with IS and although the bird was obligingly close to our sala hide, it is still quite a tight crop. I've hardly done any bird pictures but when I get our garden in order (about 10 years at the present rate) I'll try to put a convenient bird perch within range. This one was about 3 or 4m away at the most, by the way.

Edited by Greenside