What Were Your Students Academic Highlights Of 2011

Rhys

Seasons' Greetings,

First, my apology, the title should read 2011 not 2012..tried to change the top...no joy.

What were some of your students' achievements in 2011? The good and bad.

One hardworking student received an educational grant from the USA to continue her studies in MATEFL...She is in her first year in Utah..

Sadly, saw it comming, another graduated into the night trade environment....Former students confirmed her employment..

For a handful, as English majors, some found jobs.

Happy Holidays..

Edited by Rhys

I have a little 6 year old girl who landed a regular job in a Thai program as a little MC. She's a natural. If you tell her the lines, she will remember them. When I first helped her she seemed pretty ordinary (albiet with a very good memory). Put her on a stage and put a microphone in her hand and what a little dynamo! Unbelievable. She lights up like a neon sign. The world is her oyster.

Another young man--16 has gotten work doing acting, several commercials on TV and at the cinema. He has to work at it, but a bright career lies ahead for him and he is polite and has a good head on his shoulders.

I am most proud of a little 4th grade boy who couldn't read. Not a word. Couldn't identify 'the' if you pointed to it on a different page. I spent 10 minutes a day (twice a day when possible) reading a KG level book. We read the same sentences. We spelled each word, we said them, then we read it over and over again. As soon as he looked bored, I stopped. I had him type the words on the computer in a really big font, he had to find the letters, then look at it and then say it. Somewhere the penny dropped, because suddenly this year he can read with the rest of his class. He's not good, but he can sound out the words and is back in the race. He can't, however, read Thai.

His gift is music. He can play the piano by ear--can't read music--but he is unbelievably talented in music. He hears a song a few times and he can play it. Today he was in the Christmas play, just a dancer, but wow, he has another talent just waiting for the opportunity to bloom. Now that he can read, he can learn and hopefully his weaknesses will never again drowned out his positives.