BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Chewing With Open Mouth

One thing I've noticed is that Thailand is filled with people who chew with their mouths open. It is more or less disgusting, but I'll leave that bit.

BUT, why are people doing this? During this years Christmas piss-up a friend and I wondered if it might have something to do with the fact that this country offers a lot of seriously spicy food, and that some people consume the type of food that is so spicy that muscles in the mouth begin to contract as a reflex.

Could this be the case?

The same people talk with a mouth full of food, the pantomime you notice (chewing with open mouth) is just their way of practicing for the next verbal outburst they will have.

One thing I've noticed is that Thailand is filled with people who chew with their mouths open. It is more or less disgusting, but I'll leave that bit.

BUT, why are people doing this? During this years Christmas piss-up a friend and I wondered if it might have something to do with the fact that this country offers a lot of seriously spicy food, and that some people consume the type of food that is so spicy that muscles in the mouth begin to contract as a reflex.

Could this be the case?

The funny thing is they then cover their mouths to use a toothpick!!!!!

They cover their mouths to laugh (females) but are happy to sit around in circles grazing away.

A theory could be they do this in case they need to say something incredibly important on short notice.

• Like 1

I've wondered the same and asked, so here's the answer: Thai people are actually taught to eat with their mouths shut, however, some food is easier to chew when the mouth is slightly open. I've tried it myself and I have to agree. As long as you don't make it look like pig, you're good.

They've all seen Sir Alex Ferguson chewing away on the touchline, so they think it's an ok thing to do.

Funny....my wife told me that its considered rude to eat with your mouth open but I see everyone up here in Isaan doing it. Everything they tell foreigners not to do, I see everyone doing sitting with your feet pointed at someone, raising your voice, never showing your anger, etc etc.

I find it so off-putting that I refuse to eat with certain people who I know have this bad habit, both family friends and members of the wife's family. I always make a reasonable excuse and say that I will get something to eat later, but after a number of years they must have twigged that I do not like being at the same table with them at meal times.

There is no physical reason for this behaviour though. I can't even put it down to bad manners. For the latter you have to know what is right and what is wrong. I sincerely believe the vast majority of offenders have never been taught, copied their own parents, etc. and as such do not even know they are doing something that others find distasteful.

I can see where this thread is headed towards...a problem for us mods.

Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Topic moved to The Farang Pub.

Lack of etiquette...simply put! Mai pen rai!

No, i don't think so, the few educated thaipeeps i know don't do it, but the vast majority does.

So i think it is a value thing.

Still i think the majority here think I have a poor table manner, since i dont chew at all, i just shuffle in through a vacuum technique and swallow hole, it is highly efficient, i never saw anyone out-eat me

(except ba-mikeao soup, or any other soup with chili powder, vacuum principle simply dont work here)

Edited by poanoi

A post containing discussion of moderation has been removed from view. If you wish to discuss moderation, please do so via a private message or use the report button for that post.