BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Chewing With Open Mouth

How about the Cantonese crowd who not only eat loudly , with their mouths open ,but also enjoy raucous conversation whilst holding little stores of food in their cheeks . Pure class that is and no easy feet .

This southern circle are also known [and accepted] to fart whilst dining - company or not.

Chinese etiquette.

I have managed to master that . The firm I work for hold cultural intigration workshops , all washed down with Tsig Tao .

How about the Cantonese crowd who not only eat loudly , with their mouths open ,but also enjoy raucous conversation whilst holding little stores of food in their cheeks . Pure class that is and no easy feet .

This southern circle are also known [and accepted] to fart whilst dining - company or not.

Chinese etiquette.

I have managed to master that . The firm I work for hold cultural intigration workshops , all washed down with Tsig Tao .

I love the Cantonese restaurants, with their hundreds of tables, hard floors and ceilings to minimise deadening of the sound.

The only thing that comes close is HSBC building, Chater Square, on a rainy Sunday

SC

Chinese etiquette.

I love the Cantonese restaurants, with their hundreds of tables, hard floors and ceilings to minimise deadening of the sound.

The only thing that comes close is HSBC building, Chater Square, on a rainy Sunday

SC

Try the show at Pratunam market, daily from 1130.

Try the show at Pratunam market, daily from 1130.

Hong Kong is even more of a show.

Loud chewing is the only thing that gets under my skin, i get violent thoughts just thinking about it.

Loud chewing is the only thing that gets under my skin, i get violent thoughts just thinking about it.

Violent thoughts towards trivial activities of others.

How civilised.

It may be that it's not bad manners to eat with the mouth open in Thailand and farang impose their values??

I lived in Japan for a few years, and the Japanese are very noisy eaters when they are eating noodles, and there is a 'reason' for it. They claim that drawing in air as they suck the noodles in (a sound similar to slurping soup) enhances the flavour of the food. Could it be similar for Thais?

The Japanese have some curious ideas though, and one is that fish prepared for sashimi should be filleted whilst the fish is alive because 'toxins' (whatever they are) that can spoil the taste aren't released into the flesh as happens if it dies lying on the bench or is stabbed through the head. My view is that it's more likely that 'toxins' are released if it dies a terrible death as when it's filleted whilst still alive.

I did say the Japanese have some curious ideas.

How civilised.

I suppose civilised is when one does not act on one's violent thoughts.

I suppose civilised is when one behaves in a way that does not engender violent thoughts in others.

I'm told that mixing one's comestibles (specifically, in the circumstances I was told, wine-tasting) with air helps bring out some aspects of the flavour, so it's not just the Japanese that believe one should slurp in a bit of air with one's noodles.

SC

How civilised.

You should imagine the violent thoughts im having about you right now.

Edited by KRS1

I see everyone doing sitting with your feet pointed at someone,

The custom with regards feet pointing isn't that when you sit, you have to make sure your feet point away from people, it is that you should not use your feet to direct someone.

My understanding on the feet pointing issue is that the feet are lowest part of the body and should never be pointed at another person because it's insulting, in a similar way to not touching another's head because it is the highest part of the body. Is that Buddhist belief?

The custom with regards feet pointing isn't that when you sit, you have to make sure your feet point away from people, it is that you should not use your feet to direct someone.

My understanding on the feet pointing issue is that the feet are lowest part of the body and should never be pointed at another person because it's insulting, in a similar way to not touching another's head because it is the highest part of the body. Is that Buddhist belief?

This head touching taboo comes right out of a travel guide-cultural studies text.

Nonsense. Old wives tale....

This head touching taboo comes right out of a travel guide-cultural studies text.

My experience has been that it is absolutely taboo, with the exception of people with whom you are close to.

The funny thing is they then cover their mouths to use a toothpick!!!!!

If only they would be more discrete with the nose-picking. rolleyes.gif

You shouldn't use your feet to point, whether it be at another person, or whether it be at anything else - that is taboo. Quite different though from your feet happening to point in the direction of somebody - that is not taboo. Would be bloody awkward if it were!

Not really, it's just attitudes are changing with modern times but it is still good manners to show some respect.