Safety Woes Of Public Transportation In Bangkok

george

Safety woes of public transportation in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Only about two in every 10 people in Bangkok feel confident about their personal safety when riding in a taxi cab, according to a survey conducted by ABAC Poll.

The feeling is mutual; some drivers also fear for their personal safety when a passenger flags down a cab. And they also complain about passengers’ immoral behavior, such as performing obscene acts in the back seat.

Almost half of the respondents (47 percent) said they are confident about their safety when taking a taxi, while three in every 10 (or 30.5 percent) said they are doubtful about their personal safety. The survey had a margin of error of seven.

Most cab riders’ negative perceptions toward taxi services in Bangkok stem from either their personal experience or the horror stories they have heard from friends and family.

More than a third (35.5 percent) of the 1,396 respondents said they have heard of passengers being robbed inside taxis and 22.2 percent said they know that some taxi drivers attempt to rape their female passengers. The poll showed that 16.5 percent of the respondents had personally experienced a situation in which the taxi driver detours from regular routes, 15.7 percent complained of reckless and quick-tempered drivers and 12.6 percent complained of ill-mannered taxi drivers. It may not be easy to be in the driver’s seat, however.

About a third (34.1 percent) of the 503 cab drivers polled in Bangkok said they are not confident about their personal safety, either.

Of those who fear for their safety, 41.8 percent said they were afraid that passengers would do them harm, 25.9 percent said they could be robbed at gunpoint and 15.2 percent dread the possibility of road accidents.

The ABAC survey showed that 16.8 percent said they had been robbed or assaulted by passengers, 6.4 percent said they had passengers who rummaged their cars’ compartments for valuables and about a third (33.6 percent) of respondents said passengers had talked to them impolitely.

About seven in 10 taxi drivers polled (69.5 percent) said they had found their passengers hugging and kissing in the back seat and 14 percent said they had heard their passengers discussing their illicit affairs and trysts in seedy motels.

The poll said 6.8 percent of taxi drivers had seen passengers perform obscene acts in the back seat and 5.5 percent said they had passengers discuss their sexual desires within earshot.

Meanwhile, ABAC also surveyed the bus riding public’s views about the services of the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA). The results showed that 57.2 percent of respondents fear for their personal safety while riding in BMTA buses and 20.9 percent said they are uncertain about their safety, while 20.9 percent said they feel confident about their personal safety.

When asked about their negative experiences with the BMTA bus service, 47.5 percent complained or reckless driving, 27.7 percent said drivers and bus conductors do not speak politely, 15.2 percent said buses do not stay long enough at bus stops for passengers to get off the bus safely and 6.1 percent said some public buses intentionally skip some bus stops.

Cab riders suggest that concerned government agencies train drivers to be more polite, require them to undergo qualifying exams and register with the government. They also want the drivers’ identification cards conspicuously displayed inside the taxi.

Passengers of public buses want the government to require drivers to inspect the condition of buses regularly. They also want the government to impose severe punishment against drivers who cause road accidents, as well as a speed limit for public buses.

--Manager.co.th 2005-11-27

"BANGKOK: -- Only about two in every 10 people in Bangkok feel confident about their personal safety when riding in a taxi cab, according to a survey conducted by ABAC Poll.

Almost half of the respondents (47 percent) said they are confident about their safety when taking a taxi, while three in every 10 (or 30.5 percent) said they are doubtful about their personal safety. The survey had a margin of error of seven."

Doesnt make any sense, 47% are confident of their safety when taking a taxi, yet only 20% feel confident about their personal safety when taking a taxi.

??????????

I don't use taxis that often, when I do I've never had any complaints, apart from once. Going from near Pantip plaza to the airport via Pakkret (to drop off my TG), after she had got out the driver said it would cost 600bt, tourist price from the city to the airport. I said meter price or I get out now, after a bit of argueing he agreed to the meter....280bt. As I was going to the airport he probably thought 'ignorant tourist', but I live here. Buses/mini buses. They drive too fast, have little clutch/accelerator/brake coordination/idea of the use of but they get me there in one piece...so far!