English Farmer In Issan Living His Dream Life

BookMan

He is hiding something, his body language is terrible constantly picking at his hands and staring down or else he crosses his arms.

He lost me when he imposed his belief system on his children who have no choice in the matter No english??????

Good education is about providing choices and they should be lucky to practice English with their dad but he is a WACKO!

He clearly states that back home this would be considered a dream life. Well I can tell you Australia has some lovely farm land in quaint little towns but I dont know ANYBODY who wants to work the land , again this nutter is imposing his very one eyed belief system on anyone that has an ear.

Now im not saying he is doing the wrong thing... for himself, good luck to him but the children ? they appear to be unfortunate..

Can you please tell me where back home I can find a nice little farm and work the land without being taxed out of the land in no time. I am another Thai/farang farmer and know I could never afford or make a living farming in OZ. It's only for the big players . Jim.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having travelled the world extensively together with having lived in 7 different countries in 3 continents, I am very much in tune with Martin's philosophy. He seems to be living the life that I hope to live in the not too distant future. I have been a corporate man all my life, running the rat race and I will celebrate the day that I can hang up my tie and suit forever.

Some differences for me of course is that I will insist my kids know and speak English. Any added language will always be an advantage, anywhere in the world. Also, I would not dispense with the trappings of wealth as I have worked long and hard to enjoy some luxuries, the main thing is that I will be completely debt free, and not have to borrow to purchase anything that I would need.

The difference being He actually does work hard because he said workers are expensive. Looks like yours will be a hobby farm

you have plenty money , he doesn't , there really isnt much of a caparison between you both

He is hiding something, his body language is terrible constantly picking at his hands and staring down or else he crosses his arms.

He lost me when he imposed his belief system on his children who have no choice in the matter No english??????

Good education is about providing choices and they should be lucky to practice English with their dad but he is a WACKO!

He clearly states that back home this would be considered a dream life. Well I can tell you Australia has some lovely farm land in quaint little towns but I dont know ANYBODY who wants to work the land , again this nutter is imposing his very one eyed belief system on anyone that has an ear.

Now im not saying he is doing the wrong thing... for himself, good luck to him but the children ? they appear to be unfortunate..

Total tosh, it's his life, his kids can do what they want for their lives when the time comes. This is Thailand, not Aus.

well good for you and Feel sorry for your kids if you believe what you just wrote. Kids are a priority and supposed to be a part of an experiment by some farang loony who after failing in middle class England came here and all of sudden is impressed with the attention he draws to himself, probably the only reason he is doing it.

Parents risks their lives in leaky boats to provide a better life for their kids, now thats impressive.

His kids will be the laughing stock of the village...thats not good!

You are obviously to set in your ways to realize his kids get the same education at the local Thai school like all the other kids in the village....which means they do get taught English.

He brings them up as Thai children the same as there peers so they can enjoy the environment from whence they came,also the community feeling and friendliness which is sadly missing now in western society,i am sure in later years they can make there own decisions regarding English which they most probably already speak to a higher standard than most there age.

Some people like to interfere and tell people how to bring up there children,maybe you are one of those?

+1, and perhaps hoots has no kids wink.png

Can you please tell me where back home I can find a nice little farm and work the land without being taxed out of the land in no time. I am another Thai/farang farmer and know I could never afford or make a living farming in OZ. It's only for the big players . Jim.

agreed Jim but even if taxes were less , reality is if we make the 2 places equal , i can guarantee you nobody would be prepared to hand plough behind a buffalo in Australia .

your comparing expensive machinery to do the work, this guy is hand doing everything. There is a HUGE difference

I for one wouldn't be willing to give up my comfortable life style. One serious health problem would drive him right off the rails and he could no longer live the "GOOD" life. It's one thing having to eek out a living if you have no choice but to do it voluntarily is a little far out. To condemn his children to a life of poverty and dirt farming seems cruel to me.

agreed Jim but even if taxes were less , reality is if we make the 2 places equal , i can guarantee you nobody would be prepared to hand plough behind a buffalo in Australia .

your comparing expensive machinery to do the work, this guy is hand doing everything. There is a HUGE difference

In somethings yes and some things no. Market gardens are still around , but the land prices for them are unbelievable. I do rubber and if given a free hand in Nth Qland a man and wife could earn $30,000 to $40,000 a year, but take out the taxes and other imposed costs you could not brake even. It's the system only the players can play and the other are just the workers. At least here for now everyone can try, there is no stortage of big silver pick ups in my little region of Issan. Everyone owns their home, be it a hut, no house rates and no tax on the farmers. Thing will change. Jim

I for one wouldn't be willing to give up my comfortable life style. One serious health problem would drive him right off the rails and he could no longer live the "GOOD" life. It's one thing having to eek out a living if you have no choice but to do it voluntarily is a little far out. To condemn his children to a life of poverty and dirt farming seems cruel to me.

I also share this, and Hooters view, that appears the children are limited to what Martin decides is right for them (him). That is the only issue I have, otherwise I am full of admiration for his chosen path.

Thais would give their right arm to give their children an advantage in life and remove them from the toil of farming. It is not hereditary, as in many old UK families, it is not a fashionable diversion from the treadmill, as with Gweiloman - it is something they have to do.

Your post is way off the mark.

It is his choice not yours,good luck to you and your comfortable lifestyle,a serious health problem would drive anyone "off the rails" living any life!

His children are living a life of poverty and dirt farming..... really poverty? so all the kids in Isaan are treated cruelly and live in poverty just because they live on a farm.

Condemn his children....hahaha.

Red shirt your not the sharpest set of shears in the shed

Not true. In Australia if your unable to work you Disability support pension of $400/week along with pharmaceutical discounts and priority housing concession, public transport and free schooling for the kids via Internet by govt sponsored program's

its similar in the UK.

What happens to this guy if he gets kicked in the head by a buffalo? I tell you what, his kids will be doing the farming that's what

This guy is only thinking about himself and Im happy for him however very sad for his c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n

Edited by Hooters

Some here are looking at stuff from THEIR high paid pen pushing job instead of looking at life from the vast majority of Thai life. This guy wants to be part of Thai life AND for sure the kids KNOW about the difficulties of Thai life. SO, the few, back off and give the guy credit. He was not a high salary/pension farang, just an ordinary Joe.

Not true. In Australia if your unable to work you Disability support pension of $400/week along with pharmaceutical discounts and priority housing concession, public transport and free schooling for the kids via Internet by govt sponsored program's

its similar in the UK.

What happens to this guy if he gets kicked in the head by a buffalo? I tell you what, his kids will be doing the farming that's what

This guy is only thinking about himself and Im happy for him however very sad for his c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n

You really are a complete twonk. A Thai teacher l know up north here with three kids, 18 year old daughter just died of Leukimea, His wife is now in Bangkok selling food to help pay for the hospital fee's, it's THAI life.

its similar in the UK.

You really are a complete twonk. A Thai teacher l know up north here with three kids, 18 year old daughter just died of Leukimea, His wife is now in Bangkok selling food to help pay for the hospital fee's, it's THAI life.

"it's THAI life"

Many young girls also go to BKK to sell their patch and send money home, thats a "THAI life' isnt it?

are they not farmers daughters from Isaan? isnt that the the dream life ?

Dont answer the questions they are rhetorical

its similar in the UK.

"it's THAI life"

Many young girls also go to BKK to sell their patch and send money home, thats a "THAI life' isnt it?

are they not farmers daughters from Isaan? isnt that the the dream life ?

Dont answer the questions they are rhetorical

Then tell me so l will try and understand your posts.

1. Do you live in LOS

2. Do you have kids, yours or your ladies.

3. How do you finance your life here.

Its not about me, or you or the farmer, this is where your totally missing the point.

I will leave at that and move on, we are on completely different levels.

cheers

Sorry, l forgot, if this guy was a Thai what would your opinion be ?. forget he is a farang. ermm.gif

its similar in the UK.

So you are saying he would be better off claiming social security .....and the what if? syndrome,what happens if he gets run over by a bus in the city.yes you are sharp jerk.gif What is not true by the way? clap2.gif

its similar in the UK.

So you are saying he would be better off claiming social security .....and the what if? syndrome,what happens if he gets run over by a bus in the city.yes you are sharp jerk.gif What is not true by the way? clap2.gif

90% are over 70 and retired with considerable wealth in the city, the best thing to happen would be his death ,that way his 25 yr old wife and the kid inherent considerable wealthwink.png

However you see you dont need to die, just get sick enough not to work again and he has screwed his family. Only takes a disc to slip and its all over. The filthy rich city farang can just continue living from a life time of investments.

he thinks he can do better than the Thais at farming? cheesy.gif

if there were any money in it there woudnt be a walking st in Pattaya

p.s

Never a good idea to wank in public

coffee1.gif

Think people are getting a bit picky here. There are good points to a simple life and bad. The west has good social welfare compared to Thailand yes. Thai girls do go work in bars, but doesn't Sydney allegedly have the biggest brothel in the world [legal]. Western kids get many added educational benefits yet Australia has the highest youth suicide rate in the western world.

I have walked a beat in the UK and would rather my kids grow up in a dog poor Lao village than some of the inner city UK slums..

We live in a small Issan village, everyone is family and most people seem happy and content with life. Kids grow up and the cycle starts again. Don't know whether a wide screen TV, big house flash car and good job really makes for a happy life, but even out here some leave and make a bussiness that pays some even get rich. Some are happy to plant rice and swing in a hammock. It;s a choice and kids will grow and make their own lives. Jim

its similar in the UK.

90% are over 70 and retired with considerable wealth in the city, the best thing to happen would be his death ,that way his 25 yr old wife and the kid inherent considerable wealthwink.png

However you see you dont need to die, just get sick enough not to work again and he has screwed his family. Only takes a disc to slip and its all over. The filthy rich city farang can just continue living from a life time of investments.

p.s

coffee1.gif

Sorry to say but you are a sad individual with no life, you don't understand anything about life from what ever quarter. But to be helpful to you, keep reading the girly mags and leave life to those that have the balls to go for it.

If the subject of this topic – English Isaan farmer Martin - is a member of TV and happened to be following this thread I’m sure he’d have a good laugh and at the same time feel sorry for the posters making such irrelevant, absurd and ridiculous comments.

its similar in the UK.

p.s

coffee1.gif

You are doing a bloody good job of it.....now run along and get down to walking street jap.gifmfr_closed1.gif

its similar in the UK.

p.s

coffee1.gif

You are doing a bloody good job of it.....now run along and get down to walking street jap.gifmfr_closed1.gif

Whilst wanking, wink.png (for sure)

Sadly nearly every discussion on this forum ends like this. Bitching and slagging each other off?

I have used the forum only on a couple of occasions and received very informative advice. I do browse the forums frequently but tend not to comment because certain individuals seem to have nothing positive to give on any subject.

Its sad that people seem to have lost the art of a good discussion,whereby everyone has a point of view.If you dont like someones point of view fair enough to say so and come back with a reason.

Perhaps as a New Years Resolution people on here,and they all know who they are,could try to use the forum in a more adult manner?

Sadly nearly every discussion on this forum ends like this. Bitching and slagging each other off?

I have used the forum only on a couple of occasions and received very informative advice. I do browse the forums frequently but tend not to comment because certain individuals seem to have nothing positive to give on any subject.

Its sad that people seem to have lost the art of a good discussion,whereby everyone has a point of view.If you dont like someones point of view fair enough to say so and come back with a reason.

Perhaps as a New Years Resolution people on here,and they all know who they are,could try to use the forum in a more adult manner?

Totally agree, if I want to see a good slagging match I go to <URL Automatically Removed> lounge, they have it down to an art. Jim

Its a sad but true fact that certain TV members are sad, pathetic and poor losers, whom, having failed in their home countries, have fled to Thailand in search of a better life.

Sadly, they did not realise that success is a frame of mind. Coming to Thailand with the same mindset they had in their home countries, the result is obvious and inevitable.

Its a sad but true fact that certain TV members are sad, pathetic and poor losers, whom, having failed in their home countries, have fled to Thailand in search of a better life.

Sadly, they did not realise that success is a frame of mind. Coming to Thailand with the same mindset they had in their home countries, the result is obvious and inevitable.

Yes, it is a shame because this was an interesting thread with several points worthy of debate.

Yes, it is a shame because this was an interesting thread with several points worthy of debate.

Simplest would be just to ignore the flame baiters and continue with our own "informed" opinions.

Personally, I agree with Martin's view of UK and all but the problem is that for those Thais who have not been on the other side of the fence, it's hard if not impossible for them to see the big picture. I'm blessed to be able to live in Thailand but I don't think that the majority of Thais see it the same way.

Just as a parting story here. 2 or 3 years ago before I pulled the pin in Oz, I was working in the Prison service, Victoria. I had a young lad maybe 25 years old from Vietnam. He was being piss tested for drugs. As you do while waiting at times, we got talking. Said I had a farm in Thailand and was about to give it up here and try over there.

He told me his story, came to Australia as a child refugee. he had returned to Vietnam in this early 20 s and could not believe how poor and badly people had to live. Rice paddies, sleeping on mats and bad food. I asked him how long he had , 15 years was the answer. I said where would you rather be now. He look at me and said Mr. Collister I'd give it all to be back in my home village.

To some jobs and life are a prison and freedom is just worth it. Jim