Flyfishing

EricMorisky

Mahseer tend to be found in the mountain rivers and streams in the North of Thailand. Not in Jomtien which has a few reservoirs home to snakeheads and perch, which will take flies, but the locals in there places often have set up nets and long lines.

If you rally want to pursue Mahseer, which are not found on the beaten track, or in pay to play ponds then I must suggest that you look for a guide.

There are some YouTube clips out there to whet your appetite though.

thanks ror the reply,thinking of hiring a guide ,as this is good way to learn techniques areas ,and situation. being a guide myself, it co9uld take years or never to learn techs and areas ur unfamiliar with. im a surprised at the cost ,as it is same as where i guide(alaska)my expenses have to be a hell of a lot more then theirs.. Im assuming it would be possible to go to or near these locations and hire local guides.and avoid the middleman or falang guides.Paying the3 24000.00 baht or 36000.00 could be worth it ,for the knowledge gained , if a guy plans to doi much of this type of fishing

My friend and I intend to take up fly fishing as soon as we can find out where the best places are near Phrae! I've heard that "climbing perch" are pretty willing, that is energetic! Any opinions?

Im assuming it would be possible to go to or near these locations and hire local guides.and avoid the middleman or falang guides.

I think you'll do okay, but do your internet research to locate the guide before you need him. I'm accustomed to Yellow Pages and tons of business cards on bulletin boards at local tackle shops to help find guides. I have found neither here. Good local guides are around (I'm told), but finding them could be a challenge. If it were easy, the middlemen would have a hard time getting what they charge.

Still, if you're popping well over a grand for a plane ticket and several days of your life, and success depends on finding a guide, even the farang price may be worth it. You couldn't make money as a guide in Alaska if it weren't. I know I got my money's worth from my Alaska guides.

FYI, I've been dying to try the barramundi on the fly. From discussions with long time expats, I've come to the conclusion they're the most viable fly fishing candidate for a time constrained angler.

Edited by impulse

Im assuming it would be possible to go to or near these locations and hire local guides.and avoid the middleman or falang guides.

I think you'll do okay, but do your internet research to locate the guide before you need him. I'm accustomed to Yellow Pages and tons of business cards on bulletin boards at local tackle shops to help find guides. I have found neither here. Good local guides are around (I'm told), but finding them could be a challenge. If it were easy, the middlemen would have a hard time getting what they charge.

Still, if you're popping well over a grand for a plane ticket and several days of your life, and success depends on finding a guide, even the farang price may be worth it. You couldn't make money as a guide in Alaska if it weren't. I know I got my money's worth from my Alaska guides.

FYI, I've been dying to try the barramundi on the fly. From discussions with long time expats, I've come to the conclusion they're the most viable fly fishing candidate for a time constrained angler.

thaks..for..ur.info..doing..a..bit..of..fishing..along..salt..water..shores....having...a..bit..of..sucess..with..ackerals..soorryy..keyboard..not..wrking..properly!!

thaks..for..ur.info..doing..a..bit..of..fishing..along..salt..water..shores....having...a..bit..of..sucess..with..ackerals..soorryy..keyboard..not..wrking..properly!!

You're just being mean now. Tight lines!

• 2 weeks later...

There are no streams with Mahseer near Jomptien or Pattaya. Mahseer need clear, cool mountain water and that is only located in a few parts of Thailand. There are mountain streams along the north western coast of Thailand (next to Burma) that have mahseer, and there are a few mountain rivers along the north eastern border near Laos that have mahseer. Other than that you'll have to stick to the fishing parks or the reservoirs that contain snakeheads and jungle perch. Jungle perch are a sub-species of barb and act similar to schooling bass in North America. Giant snakeheads are usually solitary fish, or just hang with one or two others. Jungle perch can travel in big schools and sometimes feed in the middle of big reservoirs. Snakeheads are act more like pike and attack from structure near the shore.

Oh, and just to add something more... and a bit closer to your home. There are a few ponds near Bangkok that have barramundi that were transported from Australia. The barramundi WILL take flies if you get the right one and fish it properly.

Edited by IanForbes