Moonrakers

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paolo Di Canio = Total Bell-end !

Most famous for his Nazi salutes while playing for Lazio - real barrel loads of fun this fellow !

Best West ham player of all time - ahead of World Cup winning captain Moore or Trevor Brooking ? I don't think so !

Yes, his versions of "tics" songs in praise of terrorists and the slaughter of innocent civilians must have been a real laugh.

It seems your fawning over Paolo is not recipricated. In his own words his greatest "career moment" was the 2-1 victory of Swindon over Wigan in FA Cup on 7-1-12. Seems he's forgotten all about you chaps !

• Like 1

Most famous for his Nazi salutes while playing for Lazio - real barrel loads of fun this fellow !

Best West ham player of all time - ahead of World Cup winning captain Moore or Trevor Brooking ? I don't think so !

Yes, his versions of "tics" songs in praise of terrorists and the slaughter of innocent civilians must have been a real laugh.

It seems your fawning over Paolo is not recipricated. In his own words his greatest "career moment" was the 2-1 victory of Swindon over Wigan in FA Cup on 7-1-12. Seems he's forgotten all about you chaps !

Most amusing. biggrin.png

Italian fascist salutes

A world of difference. If you are going to get so uppity about something, try educating yourself about it first.

• Like 1

PAOLO DI CANIO PAOLO DI CANIO PAOLO DI CANIO PAOLO DI CANIO

'AVE IT

You are of course correct, the salute was in admiration of Mussolini, the evil dictator and warmonger and a man responsible for many thousands of deaths. That's as opposed to the other evil, dictator and warmonger who lived in the country next door. That's all right then. As you say, a world of difference !

Nevertheless, i refuse to have MY educational standards questioned by someone who can close their comments with "'ave it" and who has a signature of "wibble"

• Like 1

This thread has enormous potential.

I personally think that Paolo was a great entertainer, big character, highly skillfull, a bit of a half wit and an undoubted bell end.

I was also very surprised that Wet Spam supporters would rate him above the likes of Bobby Moore or Brooking as their greatest player!

Edited by carmine

Correct.

I've got two words for PDC ....... Ian Ferguson.

Thing is, when you have somebody like PDC in football they are always likely to draw attention to themselves and with football being as it is, people are always going to criticise according to which team they are (or are not) associated with. Plus, you are also always going to get the likes of supergers not bothering to think further than what the press have to say and forming an opinion based on what sells papers (and then try to act intellectually superior rolleyes.gif ).

The great thing about football is that those admonishing the likes of PDC would be quick to change their tune should he be 'theirs'. Many would disagree with me but deep down we know they would really hold a different opinion. Very few Swindon fans objected to PDC's politics, and many of those that did are coming round to him. No Swindon fan that I am aware of object to his exuberance and their are many opposition fans that appreciate what he brings to the game. If PDC was to be managing Oxford however, to Swindon fans he'd be the devil incarnate.

PDC has been charged for a celebration where he ran onto the pitch. Given the choice between that and having some drab boss stood their arms folded, only to give a post- match interview that may as well be a copy and paste of all the other dull post match interviews, I know what I would choose. He may be banned from the touchline for a few games, but he'll add more from the stands than many managers do from the dugout. Characters like PDC add something to the game that the monotonous tones of so many others cannot.

The thing is, and it is still too early to be sure yet, PDC is likely to be around in football management for some time to come. After a slow start he has done very well at Swindon. Leading his team to a 16 match unbeaten run and beating (so far) 3 teams in higher leagues. Football is a fickle game and it's likely that success will see him snapped up by a bigger club sooner or later. You may very well find one day that he is manager of the team that you support.

Much is made of his supposed right wing leanings. I'll believe it when I see him at a rally wearing a swastika on his arm.....cue youtube vids....

He is a fascist, there's no doubting that.

Italian fascism is not what a lot of people think it is though. The Italian fascist party even had Jews in prominent positions. People are quick to call him a Nazi but they are just plain wrong, he isn't.

His admiration of Mussolini is admiration of how Mussolini fed starving people, created jobs and built infrastructure. Mussolini really 'fixed' Italy, and then WWII came along. Of course though Mussolini also did very bad things and what the press don't tell you is that PDC himself called Mussolini's actions as 'vile'. He went on to say that Mussolini, a once great man, committed these vile acts that are unforgivable. The press find it inconvenient to put things into context. They also chose not to speak of the ant-racism work that PDC has done. Balance doesn't help to sell papers.

If people want to disagree with his politics then fine. But they should first find out just what his politics are rather than just shouting 'nazi'. It's all in his autobiography, it's a good read.

Much is made of his supposed right wing leanings. I'll believe it when I see him at a rally wearing a swastika on his arm.....cue youtube vids....

I thought he was left footed? and played on the left wing. ph34r.png

LOL - who's getting "uppity" now ?

No i most certainly have not read his autobiography !

Just about the last place to find a balanced and objective account of someone is in their autobiography. However, it appears you have formed your opinion of him largely based on reading it. This may come as a bit of a shock, but most authors of their autobiographies have a vested interest in what information is, and is not included. To rely on the highly sanitised and selective accounts contained in most autobiographies is, at best, niave. .

You appear to be suggesting there was some kind of conspiracy amongst the press to discredit him ? Why and what evidence have you ?

"His admiration of Mussolini is admiration of how Mussolini fed starving people, created jobs and built infrastructure. Mussolini really 'fixed' Italy, and then WWII came along." - That's a bit like saying Fred West was a decent fellow, when he wasn't busy murdering teenagers and burying them in his garden !

'ave it wai.gif

LOL - who's getting "uppity" now ?

No i most certainly have not read his autobiography !

Just about the last place to find a balanced and objective account of someone is in their autobiography. However, it appears you have formed your opinion of him largely based on reading it. This may come as a bit of a shock, but most authors of their autobiographies have a vested interest in what information is, and is not included. To rely on the highly sanitised and selective accounts contained in most autobiographies is, at best, niave. .

You appear to be suggesting there was some kind of conspiracy amongst the press to discredit him ? Why and what evidence have you ?

"His admiration of Mussolini is admiration of how Mussolini fed starving people, created jobs and built infrastructure. Mussolini really 'fixed' Italy, and then WWII came along." - That's a bit like saying Fred West was a decent fellow, when he wasn't busy murdering teenagers and burying them in his garden !

'ave it wai.gif

It was extracts taken directly from PDC's autobiography that the press used to make him look an evil Nazi lover. Quelle surprise, they were somewhat selective in what they chose to print.

You are saying that we should pay attention to and accept the bits that make him look bad, yet ignore the bits that put that into context? That's a bit convenient isn't it? If parts of what he says in his autobiography are enough to condemn him, then surely the rest of what is in the same biography should also be taken into account?

And the example of Fred West makes no sense. For it to make sense West would have had to do a lot of good, which he hadn't.

Italian fascist salutes

A world of difference. If you are going to get so uppity about something, try educating yourself about it first.

This is correct, but I think your are attempting to educate the ineducable.

I was also very surprised that Wet Spam supporters would rate him above the likes of Bobby Moore or Brooking as their greatest player!

Now they're all coming out of the woodwork. Must be a full moon.

NO ONE HAS SAID HE WAS OUR GREATEST PLAYER.

• Like 1

I thought he was left footed? and played on the left wing. ph34r.png

Occasionally he swapped.. A little cameo I remember was v Spuds when he received the ball on the right, paused to lure in 4 defenders, then danced past all 4.

But otherwise he did a kind of Thierry Henry role for us.. A striker that played wide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...