Robbed & Beaten

chanchao

I volunteer for an emergency service center used by several insurance companies. Goal is to have someone on the ground to go meet people who experience some incident or accident while on holiday. This doesn't happen a lot, I'm asked to go see someone on average just once a year or so. Mostly it's medical cases, people getting a heart attack while on holiday and suchlike. Living in Chiang Mai, I'm often able to tell them what the best/easiest way is to go about things, perhaps translate where needed and generally help them get back on their feet.

Anyway yesterday I was asked to go see an older male tourist travelling through Thailand. He'd already seen the sights in Bangkok, went to Ayudthaya, now Chiang Mai where he was particulary interested in shopping at the Night Bazar, then planned to go on to Chiang Rai. Typical vanilla-vanilla tourist itinerary.

On his way back from the Night Bazar to his hotel (Winner Inn) last Friday at around 11pm, he was attacked and robbed in the road/soi close to his hotel. Hit from behind, held on to his bag, then hit (repeatedly?) in the face requiring surgery. He's still in hospital but recovering.

First aid people were very good, initial police response was very good, he was transported to Chiang Mai Ram hospital which is of course very very good and really the very best place to go especially if you have insurance.

Then on Saturday, next day after the event while still feeling upset and groggy from surgery, a different policeman comes to visit by himself, says his name is 'Tony' and from what I understand lays on this disgusting fake-jovial Thai police-dude thing ('you my friend' etc, etc) then after that proceeds to search his belongings and ask insinuating questiosn. He checked for 'hairs' on his jacket, repeatedly counted the 1400 baht he had left, (which was ALL he had left, passport, lost, ATM card lost, etc.), goes through his medications, even went so far as to take some glucose pill and licking it to check it out (the guy has diabetes too), asking if he went with prostitutes, so overall insanely intimidating behaviour. At this point the guy was wondering if he should just give the policeman some money, but witht the 1400 baht being all he had left (cash/ATM card all gone) he just couldn't do so. He's now scared to go to the police station just to make up the statement he needs to take to the embassy to get a replacement passport!

I guess this was exactly what this lone police guy was looking for: Pray on an innocent crime victim, shake the tree a little and see if some money falls out. I'm very very pissed off at this, perhaps more so than at the robbery itself which can happen in any city in the world.. Yet rogue Thai police is apparently very much a problem still, also in Chiang Mai.

I'm checking where I can go with a complaint on this. (Any thoughts?)

Chiang Mai's finest, indeed. :o

Was he tourist police?

Any idea which station he worked from?

My feeling is, I agree with you, he's a rogue and the chief at whatever station he works from would be interested in your friend's complaint. But, we all know that life won't become easier for your friend as a result of the complaint, plus I think he'd be expected to be present as a witness during any disciplinary procedure.

I'm sure he doesn't need to be scared of going to the police station to register the theft of his passport - especially if a group of friend/witnesses attend with him - as this procedure should happen at the front of the policestation in view of other offices and the general public.

I volunteer for an emergency service center used by several insurance companies. Goal is to have someone on the ground to go meet people who experience some incident or accident while on holiday. This doesn't happen a lot, I'm asked to go see someone on average just once a year or so. Mostly it's medical cases, people getting a heart attack while on holiday and suchlike. Living in Chiang Mai, I'm often able to tell them what the best/easiest way is to go about things, perhaps translate where needed and generally help them get back on their feet.

Anyway yesterday I was asked to go see an older male tourist travelling through Thailand. He'd already seen the sights in Bangkok, went to Ayudthaya, now Chiang Mai where he was particulary interested in shopping at the Night Bazar, then planned to go on to Chiang Rai. Typical vanilla-vanilla tourist itinerary.

On his way back from the Night Bazar to his hotel (Winner Inn) last Friday at around 11pm, he was attacked and robbed in the road/soi close to his hotel. Hit from behind, held on to his bag, then hit (repeatedly?) in the face requiring surgery. He's still in hospital but recovering.

First aid people were very good, initial police response was very good, he was transported to Chiang Mai Ram hospital which is of course very very good and really the very best place to go especially if you have insurance.

Then on Saturday, next day after the event while still feeling upset and groggy from surgery, a different policeman comes to visit by himself, says his name is 'Tony' and from what I understand lays on this disgusting fake-jovial Thai police-dude thing ('you my friend' etc, etc) then after that proceeds to search his belongings and ask insinuating questiosn. He checked for 'hairs' on his jacket, repeatedly counted the 1400 baht he had left, (which was ALL he had left, passport, lost, ATM card lost, etc.), goes through his medications, even went so far as to take some glucose pill and licking it to check it out (the guy has diabetes too), asking if he went with prostitutes, so overall insanely intimidating behaviour. At this point the guy was wondering if he should just give the policeman some money, but witht the 1400 baht being all he had left (cash/ATM card all gone) he just couldn't do so. He's now scared to go to the police station just to make up the statement he needs to take to the embassy to get a replacement passport!

I guess this was exactly what this lone police guy was looking for: Pray on an innocent crime victim, shake the tree a little and see if some money falls out. I'm very very pissed off at this, perhaps more so than at the robbery itself which can happen in any city in the world.. Yet rogue Thai police is apparently very much a problem still, also in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai's finest, indeed.  :o

Jeezus Ch, :D

Bad stuff. And in CM. You did not mention his nationality. Maybe a visit to his embassy,consulate, in CM, with their advice. Tough to go to the policemens superiors. They may be of no use.

Surprised by the assault ! BKK, PTTY, but here in CM ???? Guess so, but will make me a bit more wary at night :D

If you speak Thai relatively well it would be a VERY good idea to report this directly to the police station. I seriously doubt that that officer's (if he was an officer) conduct would be tolerated by his superiors.

I agree. You should attempt to take this up with a high-ranking officer.

I agree.There is also the corruption hotline that the wife has used...it really works!

This stinks and should be stamped out as much as possible.

I know that Ajarn has not been too well latley, but he certainly knows some people that can help.

I agree. You should attempt to take this up with a high-ranking officer.

I know that Ajarn has not been too well latley, but he certainly knows some people that can help.

Sorry, but not really.... I would suggest a visit to the Central Police station. on Rajadamnern Rd. if you want to file a complaint.

Then on Saturday, next day after the event while still feeling upset and groggy from surgery, a different policeman comes to visit by himself, says his name is 'Tony' and from what I understand lays on this disgusting fake-jovial Thai police-dude thing

Thai policeman who speaks good English named 'Tony?' Check this out from Citylife's discussion board on the Kirtsy Jones case:

The tourist policeman that is reported to have been waiting outside when Kirsty was murdered fits the profile of "Tony" I loaded 3 different articles about him being there plus the previous Kirsty forum onto a floppy and gave it to Tony and asked him did he kill Kirsty to which he replied "the police think Surin did it" I left it at that, the articles said he was standing outside. After that when I was with Tony a chap turned up 3 times to drink with us and I didnt think anything of it untill this chap rang my guesthouse to check to see if I were still there. I was going to BKK to see the english press to run another story that Tony has the lowdown on. Tony said that this chap is a teacher at a university "when a tree gets sick, this chap knows what disease it has," But Tony has told me so many porkies, that might not be true. From what paned out for me (i'm not telling all the details untill somebody else can add something positive) I think that Tony was waiting for this teacher on that night. Is there anybody that was staying at the Aree at the time have any memory of a teacher being with Tony that night. I have saved most of the old forum and if anybody would like to see it I shall post it. Allan

URL:

Discusion

I didn't understand well from the initial message in where exactly did "Policeman Tony" visit the victim. But if it happened in the hospital or hotel, the security guards and staff must have seen him going in with all the cctv cameras and all, and should be able to provide an accurate description of this ****. :o

G

Interesting... I also heard from others that they know a tourist police officer calling himself Tony.

> Was he tourist police?

Well, the victim wouldn't know the difference between tourist police or regular, especially not the morning after all that happened.

He did say that police officer had a gun with him.. I thought tourist police didn't carry guns? And, I thought they were supposed to be the 'good guys' to help dealing with the "big bad 'real' police"?

Chanchao

What I recall is about eight years ago. My girlfriend and I were sitting at a bar in Chiang Mai next to a very drunk farang. After he had talked extensively about the Vietnam War and his experience at the Ia Drang Valley (which I think could be true given his mental state), a Thai guy approached him and asked if he was OK. He said that he was undercover tourist police and could help him.

There were several farangs sitting at the bar and we said that we thought he would be OK and we'd keep and eye on him. I remember that I thought it was kind of creepy.

I asked my girlfriend (who is now my wife) about it this afternoon and she remembers it clearly too. I mentioned the name Tony and she said that what what she sounds familiar. But again, this is a long time ago.

Sorry for multiple posts...but before anyone jumps on me because I wrote "vague" in one post and "clearly" in another, I should clarify:

I remember the incident clearly, but whether "Tony" was a name used I cannot say with certainty. I know my wife (then gf) and I talked about it later and she said she thought he was indeed undercover police. He semed quite confident to be there.

I agree.There is also the corruption hotline that the wife has used...it really works!

Looks very handy. Could you please provide more details.

Thanks.

G

Tel number is: 1676 (Corruption Hot line.) You can be anon if you wish.It certainly worked for us when we had a small incident last year with a Government official.

Just a quick heads-up before you do complain. I happen to know that the head of the tourist police in Chiang Mai is called "tony" so make sure you complain to the correct person.

Incorrect sinkorswim. The head of the Tourist Police station 1 in Chiangmai is...

Pol.Lt.Col Nuttawut Chotikanchanawit and he is the Chief Inspector for the province of Chiangmai. His nick name is NOT Tony, although there is a tourist police officer that "befriends" both tourists and locals that calls himself Tony (Tannonasak in Thai)

I really have no idea if it is or not, I've asked for more details from Chanchao.

My little black wood duck is on hold pending the Islamic onslaught :D

Maejo Man, there isn't such a thing. Today anybody can set up a website and post anything they like in less than five minutes! Don't allow such cowards ruin our lifes.

Looking forward to see Daffy again! :D

Cheers,

G

:D

(Ups! I always end up discussing this topic again and again. :o Expecting some sticks from the mods! :D )

OP: if you can get a description of this 'Tony' from the man who was harrassed in the hospital, how about posting it here? Those of us who know 'tourist police Tony' should be able to confirm whether it's the same bad lieutenant.

From the tactics it sounds like it could indeed be the Tony many here in Chiang Mai have had unpleasant run-ins with. If so, he is well connected, not just your average patrolman, but I would still encourage him to file a report at Ratchamdamnoen and also with the tourist police HQ in Bangkok.

Re the Kirsty Jones case, I heard that tourist police Tony disappeared from Chiang Mai for a period fo time after the crime was investigated.

I had a bit of a run in with the police in Chiang Rai many years ago, and sent letters of complaint with full details to both the HQ of the Tourist Office & Tourist Police in Bkk.

I heard nothing for several months, but eventually got a phone call from the police in Chiang Rai & was asked to go there & make a personal complaint at the provincial police HQs.

It was a bit intimidating at the CR Provincial police station, but there was a huge file from Bkk with my original letter, plus a load of other police docs / reports.

On instructions from Bkk, they had made an investigation & the end result was that 2 crooked cops from the Kiu Sataa checkpoint, but based in Mae Chan, were transferred.

All the police in Chiang Rai needed was formal complaint from me & so that they could act on my complaint & then close the case – as instructed by Bkk.

So my advice is don’t waste your time complaining at the local police station. They will only cover their arse. You need to hit them from above. So complain – make a formal written complaint – to either Bkk or at least the provincial Chiang Mai police HQs on the super in Pa Daet.

If need be make a complaint to the relevant embassy in Bkk, as they should then complain to the big boys in Bkk, & once they have a formal complaint from an embassy they have to act & do something, then report back to the embassy.

The actions of the so-called policeman was <deleted>(k@d up to say the least.

Many of us have cameras or phones that will record sound and video. I would not want to get caught recording some dubious conversations/actions by cops, but if it can be done on the sly..

If the gentleman had credit cards he should check to see if they will give an emergency cash advance and card replacement, many credit cards and ATM issuers have this service. Im sure this has already been thought of, but just in case!!

1400 baht wont go to far.

I wish him luck.

Chiang Mai's finest, indeed.  :o

I'm not sure I understand this, i just cant believe that a (even nasty) policeman would go out of his way for a considerable amount of time to try and shake down someone who had been robbed of all their money. Most of the time the entire Wallet would have been taken, what would be the potential for any extra money to be had by trying to go and rob him?