Any Clues For Burmese Food In These Parts?

Jingthing

I would love to eat some Burmese food but am I right in assuming there is no restaurant or even street stall serving it locally?

I know there are Burmese workers here but my impression is that they are on the poor side and don't support restaurants.

I thought not.

BTW, does anyone know if ROSELLE LEAVES are available at Thai markets here?

If so, maybe I'll get motivated and cook my favorite Burmese dish which must have these leaves.

They look like this:

post-37101-0-53364400-1325758624_thumb.j

Actually, they look familiar. I've got to try harder.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, this is the kind of dish I am really craving. In restaurants it is called sour vegetable. Burmese assume westerners won't the sour taste it but I crave it for life. The version I want is rather more yellow and curry like and has full size shrimp in it making work as a main dish.

http://www.foodbuzz....hin-baung-kyaw-

This picture is more like what I want but I don't have a recipe:

post-37101-0-48104700-1325789422_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

I tried to find roselle leaves today at Rompho Market. I went in asking for grà-jíeb/กระเจี๊ยบ which just means roselle, not the leaves. However I talked to different people who did understand that I wanted the leaves, but all they could offer me was a vegetable that to me looked exactly like okra. Of course I don't want okra or okra leaves; I want roselle leaves. Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are none at Rompho market, but if I try another market I have the Thai for roselle leaves now. How do the local Burmese cope without this staple product? Just for fun, I was telling people I wanted them to cook Myanmar food and the look of horror, even pity, was good free entertainment.

Adding to the mystery, googling the Thai words I have for roselle and roselle leaves for pictures I get: roselle red buds (used to make the red drink), roselle leaves, and ... OKRA! I really don't think roselle plant is the same as okra.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, how did you get all this expertise on so many dishes, from so many countries? Not a lot of people know much about Persian and Burmese food as well as all the other cuisines that you inform readers about. I'm sure most members will agree that we are very lucky to have you on the forum. thumbsup.gif

Thanks UG, don't make me blush.

Anyway, I'm bumping this topic in the hopes that some can suggest where I might find these roselle leaves in Pattaya. It seems to me if they don't have them at a local market with lots of leaves for sale like Rompho in Jomtien, that the hope might be dim. I reckon the other place to try would be the south Pattaya market but after that, any other ideas?

I would think in Bangkok near the Burmese embassy there might be some clues but that's not a practical source for fresh produce in Pattaya.

BTW, anyone know Burmese people here? If so, could you ask them if they know where to find

Chin Baung Kyaw

the Burmese word for Roselle leaves?

In Burma the leaves are known to be super cheap and abundant. Here roselle drinks are sold widely, the red stuff, so you know this is grown in Thailand, but apparently the sour leaves are not a part of Thai cooking. Frustrating, indeed.

Anyway, any clue appreciated.

post-37101-0-29388200-1328963559_thumb.j

Here are the red flowers. I have also not seen these for sale, only the finished red drink.

post-37101-0-13925300-1328963980_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, how did you get all this expertise on so many dishes, from so many countries? Not a lot of people know much about Persian and Burmese food as well as all the other cuisines that you inform readers about. I'm sure most members will agree that we are very lucky to have you on the forum. thumbsup.gif

Others may well call it grandstanding if they aren't blinded by the..................

• Like 1

Well, since he is almost 24/7 online and posting I doubt his expertise is related to visiting those restaurants.

I think it's more a case of ;

I have too much time on my hand,

and wiki is my friend.

BTW, I haven't eaten at any Burmese restaurants in Pattaya because I don't think any exist. I have searched for Burmese restaurants in Bangkok but was unsuccessful. I have eaten at a Burmese restaurant in Chiang Mai a few times and asked for a dish made with the sour leaves but they told me they didn't have it but seemed to indicate that sometimes they do.

My hunch now is that the source for this in Pattaya would be Burmese people. If some are settled here long enough, I reckon some may be growing their own supply. Just a hunch as that's what happens when Burmese move to the U.S. to areas where there is no supply.

Edited by Jingthing