Where Do I Stand.

GaiYang

Hi folks,

not sure where to start so will try to lay down as much info as possible. I have 8 years teaching experience in Thailand. Mainly Prathom (multiple subjects), and a couple of years Mathayom (English). All 8 years were spent working at the same school.

I first started teaching just to pass some time and used a degree from the University of Khao Sarn, I never tried to hide the fact, and the school I worked for seemed happy enough, supplying work permits and visas. While I was in Thailand I attained a TEFL from the London Teacher Training Centre, this was an on-line course recommended by my Head of Language at the time.

I really caught the bug for teaching so when the Ministry of Ed. decided to tighten up on the regulations I decided to get myself properly qualified. In 2009 I returned to the UK and started studying for a degree in literature with the Open University, which I'm now about a third of the way through. However, the better half wants me to return to Thailand ASAP. So to the questions:

Can I get a temp. teachers license on the basis that I am currently studying for a B.A.?

Would I be required to take the professional ethics and knowledge course by the T.C.T.? I ask this as I would be continuing with my degree and want to make sure I don't have to overload myself with to much academic work on top of teaching.

I currently work in the security industry so have all relevant police clearance certificates, and will probably return using a non O visa.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Search for Mr Hippo's day in court. it was on another forum dedicated to teaching in Thailand. You will find that you can be arrested and in court for retroactively using a fake degree at anytime in Thailand. I believe his arrest was 8 years after he used the fake degree for one year.

As for not having a degree. You could get hired and some government schools can find ways around the degree requirement. If you are serious about teaching and living in Thailand longterm, just finish the degree and then come. It would be the best for longterm. For the short term solution just come and deal with what happens.

Don't take any of the TCT stuff because without a degree you cannot get the license period. You need a degree as the minimum requirement. You can get a waiver but that is not a license.

Good luck.

Actually, there is a thread on this site with his story, but I am not able to locate it just now.

The point is, however, if you try and do anything illegal with the gov't, it is fraud and they don't take it lightly.

You need to finish your degree and take things from that point onwards.