Why Linux ?

gvpraag

It's simple really. With Linux you can inspect the code that makes it all work. With Apple and Microsoft, you cannot.

What backdoors are in the closed-source OSes? Installed at the behest of government agencies, and perhaps you really do have nothing to hide from the government, but what about the other criminal organizations that learn of these exploits? Do you have anything you want to hide from them?

The analysis of /dev/random is mostly FUD designed to scare people off of a reliable source of random bits and onto less secure sources.

There are some good points with respect to OpenWRT/diskless systems, but these were already well understood, and in any case, we're talking about session keys here (transitory).

Meanwhile, nobody knows what's really going on under the hood with Windows or Mac. Indeed, you are violating your license if you even try to look.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with Linux for only five years but haven't felt the need to learn C or C++ or anything, though I did write a couple of one line scripts to run in terminal.

Recently I've been playing with Gnome 3 and I kinda like the simplicity, plus I finally discovered the existence of Docky - Apple like animated dock to launch programs. Now I made Gnome my default desktop for watching movies and surfing the net. When I get tired I might try Ubuntu's unity again.

You don't get such variety on Windows.

• 1 month later...

Well, as a member of the computer illerate, and out of sheer boredom, I read up alittle on Linux Mint 12 and not really know what I was getting into, downloaded a livedvd and installed it on a 10 yr old HP P4.

I still do not know what Im doing, but I really like Linux.

Been going strong ever since ( approx 2 weeks ) on Mint 12. Does everything thing they said it would and allot more. Works right outta the box and have had not one problem except for connecting it to my Netgear wireless, which has been solved by a 50 foot ethernet cable. ( wireless adapter now in the dresser drawer underneath my old Oui magazines.smile.png )

I am a Linux convert forever

• 2 months later...

Because linux start faster, run faster, run smoothlier, more realiable, never crashed or screen frozen, virus free, and doesnt give me the feeling that big brother is watching me.

ps: and forget to add LibreOffice is as good than ms Office and its freeeeee.

Edited by Bender

Sorry if off topic but I'm sure you guys know more than me about pc/internet so please help me out!?

I need to know what would be the best way to internet in Thailand. I don't really need very high speed but i don't want to be disconnected a few times a day or a few times an hour.

I called my 3BB customer service to ask:

if I would pay the 2.900 a month for 20mbps / 4 mbps ex. VAT, will I be less disconnected? And do they cut off the 590B ex. VAT first when system gets over loaded?

This was not just some person, I asked for the best English speaker who knows a lot at the same time and they called me back.

But his answer was: No, you might still get disconnected it's just faster. But you can try it, higher speed might reconnect faster (doh smile.png ).

They also have 5mbps/11mbps for 2,500B a month (crazy?) for a special line if you use websites / services outside the country more but he don't know if that one is more stable.

I could try them all and switch every month...

Last option in my mind is just a big pad phone / computer with unlimited internet, maybe not fast but stable?

All i want is very less (or none) disconnections or very short,

Who can advise me? I not need proves just experience from someone please.

Have a nice day thumbsup.gif

Sorry if off topic but I'm sure you guys know more than me about pc/internet so please help me out!?

I need to know what would be the best way to internet in Thailand. I don't really need very high speed but i don't want to be disconnected a few times a day or a few times an hour.

I called my 3BB customer service to ask:

if I would pay the 2.900 a month for 20mbps / 4 mbps ex. VAT, will I be less disconnected? And do they cut off the 590B ex. VAT first when system gets over loaded?

This was not just some person, I asked for the best English speaker who knows a lot at the same time and they called me back.

But his answer was: No, you might still get disconnected it's just faster. But you can try it, higher speed might reconnect faster (doh smile.png ).

They also have 5mbps/11mbps for 2,500B a month (crazy?) for a special line if you use websites / services outside the country more but he don't know if that one is more stable.

I could try them all and switch every month...

Last option in my mind is just a big pad phone / computer with unlimited internet, maybe not fast but stable?

Have a nice day thumbsup.gif

Here a short answer:

Usually you never get disconnect if you use ADSL. But sometime at the rush hours you might encounter a slower speed.

Yes you might get disconnected if you use a modem/phone line(56Kbps), but you can connect back asap.

I found 2-5 Mbps for adsl is high enough to listen and watch movie online.

Last i found the price for a 20 mbps at 100 USD a total rip off(back home you get it for less than 30 USD for a higher speed). You should check another internet provider(cat, tot, true, a net, cs loxinfo, samart...... ) You might found a lower price.

Edited by Bender

Ask your neighbours what provider they use and how the speed/stability is.

Especially their youngsters as they usually tend to spend more time on the internet than their parents.

As unfortunately one provider might be exceptional at one location, and a disaster at another.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it off and on since 1995. It used to be a learning experience just installing it, but now it does everything for you. Not as fun as it used to be, but is more useful. These days I like trying out different versions in virtual box, but rarely use it instead of windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux it's free and open source, I never read a manual or a book to use Linux, only that I need from internet, if you play games you can, but if you think in advanced tasks, work, business Linux it's the best option since open source means a crowd of people working in the same direction with many support on internet, tasks are really easy to configure, export or import, very fast... try to create 200 domains in windows is around 2000 clicks trough multiple and repetitive windows, in Linux you can do with one click and 100x faster. many situations are the same, if you want to change or test something go look inside the code change and test.

About the cars Linux for me is like get a free second hand Jeep or Humvee for go wherever you want inclusive to war xD, not so useful or easy to drive in the city but do the job if you put a bit of your knowledge.

Mac is like an overpriced and nice BMW without tunes or upgrades, very expensive when it's fail but really the fails are very few and unusual because all simple work perfect for drive in your city, inclusive a mindless can use it xD

Windows is all in the middle whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

If you're just trying to get a reaction I suggest playing with the mac fanboys, Linux users have too much class to play silly games. If you're serious the answer is because Linux is the best product available for people that are knowledgeable about computers, virtually everything today is run by Linux.

Have a look at this:

As for your car analogy Linux is a Porsche, Windows is a Toyota and Mac is... well something burned out on blocks in the ghetto.

If you're just trying to get a reaction I suggest playing with the mac fanboys, Linux users have too much class to play silly games. If you're serious the answer is because Linux is the best product available for people that are knowledgeable about computers, virtually everything today is run by Linux.

Have a look at this:

As for your car analogy Linux is a Porsche, Windows is a Toyota and Mac is... well something burned out on blocks in the ghetto.

Funny. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If it weren't for Garmin Mapsource and Turbotax, I would be completely free of Windows. Fortunately, these run just fine on an old copy of Windows XP in Virtualbox. Maybe it is just what I am used to, but whenever I use Windows, it is such a relief to get back into Linux Mint.

Not wishing to hi-jack this topic, could you give me some ideas about this please...

:)

• 6 months later...

I would encourage anyone interested in Linux to dowload the longest running torrent on piratebay. A documentary about Linux called "Revolution OS".

I found it very interesting but I'm a linux geek.

Why Linux?

Because many people don't know that it is actually called GNU/Linux. smile.png

True, Linux refers to the kernel. GNU refers to everything else which is basically a collection of hundreds of apps that allow you to actually do stuff with the kernel.

Edited by lapd

I have been a Unix/Linux sysadmin for over 20 years and here is my simple take on it:

Linux is free. It's fast, no hanging around with the hour glass, it let's you get on with what you want without nags and dialogs. It's not intrusive and it tells you what It's doing. It can do anything Windows can do. If you really must run a Windows program you can run it via Wine or a virtual machine.

Personally I believe Android (Linux based) will become the dominant os and will be the demise of Microsoft. Linux in a way will be bypassed as a desktop, and only used by power users (like developers). That's not to undermine its role as the dominant server os! The demise of Microsoft will be protracted as corporates are very slow to change, and Microsoft will continue to play with the financial numbers to show they are a force to be reckoned with.

The web, cloud and cloud storage will mean less need for a desktop or laptop with hard drive storage. This will mean a mass move to smartphone and tablets. You already see this happening as pc /laptop prices head south to compete with tablets.

Edited by MaiChai

It's like this. Linux is harder up front but much much better long term once it's all setup. That famous stability you always hear about where you almost never have to reboot and stuff like that.

WinBloz is the opposite. A lot easier at first but a PiTA long term. That famous blue screen and requiring reboots all the time.

With polished versions like Android and some of the desktop distributions, Linux has gotten a bit easier up front and still rock solid. WinBloz....meh....about the same I figure.

I've been using Linux commercially for about 10 years now and the more I use it the more I like it. It's something that grows on you I suppose. Depends a lot on what you are doing...for servers I always look to Linux first and only look at WinBloz if I cannot find a good Linux alternative. I still use WinBloz for my desktop and probably always will. Android for smart phone.

Edited by lapd

WinBloz is the opposite. A lot easier at first but a PiTA long term. That famous blue screen and requiring reboots all the time.

I think that's a bit harsh. I have Win 8 on three PCs (and Server 2012 on another). I reboot them once a month to install updates. Otherwise they have not given me a problem.

BSOD's are almost always hardware related.

I think that's a bit harsh. I have Win 8 on three PCs (and Server 2012 on another). I reboot them once a month to install updates. Otherwise they have not given me a problem.

BSOD's are almost always hardware related.

If you say so. Win8, Win7, Server 2012 doesn't matter. They are all very similar. BSOD is NOT almost always hardware. More often it's hardware driver but a lot of times it's also software. Like I said it depends on what you are doing. If it's fairly simple stuff that you don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out then WinBloz is tailor made for that. For more serious mission critical hardcore server stuff...it's a completely different ball game.

Edited by lapd