Living In Khao Lak

travelskr

Ten -15 years ago, this was a nice mom and pop BNR place, the dives shops did not invade...Sadly, the money can and went and the place is what it is today..../sad, but worth a look..only.. Living..hmmm.. best to have your Thai language and cultural adaptation sunglasses on be the sun blinds you.. good luck

Depends on what you like. What are your interests? It's a breath of fresh air compared to Phuket with fewer tourists but it's exploded in popularity since the tsunami. Thai food is 3-5x the price what it should be but once you get to know a local restaurant they'll give you the local "Thai price." Locals are not near as friendly as those I lived around in CM and Ubon. But that's to be expected in a tourist area of the South. I realize that's a very broad generalization but accuate in comparison to other locations around the country. If you love the ocean and diving, Khao Lak is perfect. Less "business" than Phuket and not as remote as places like Samui. There's plenty of amazing national parks on and off land nearby. For me, it's still a wonderful place to visit but I got really sick of living there. If you want more privacy just head North up the coast further. I don't agree with the last post regarding language. There's quite a few foreigners, mostly European, who speak English and a large number of Thais who also speak English because they work in resorts. No Thai is needed at all but I'd suggest anyone living in a different country learn the language anyway. PM me if you have more questions.

Edited by ubonrthai