Myanmar'S Suu Kyi Could Get Govt Role: Official

Lite Beer

Myanmar's Suu Kyi could get govt role: official

YANGON, January 8, 2012 (AFP) - Myanmar democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi could be given a job in a nominally-civilian government if she is elected to parliament in April by-elections, a presidential adviser said on Sunday.

The Nobel laureate, who could be propelled into a parliament still largely composed of the military and ruling army-backed party, would be given a "suitable" position, Nay Zin Latt told AFP.

"There is also a possibility she will be appointed to the government," he said, adding it would depend on Suu Kyi's wishes.

"If she's more interested in legislative matters, there can be a suitable duty for her at parliament," he said.

The comments come as Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) party confirmed that the 66-year-old would contest the vote in a constituency near Yangon.

"Daw Suu will contest from Kawhmu constituency. We will release final candidate lists for constituencies after January 11," NLD spokesman Nyan Win told AFP. Daw is a term of respect in Myanmar.

"We do not know yet how and where she will serve her duty if elected," he said, adding that she would "just be a parliament member".

Nyan Win said Suu Kyi will embark on a campaign trip soon, although details of the tour have not been decided.

Nay Zin Latt said President Thein Sein would welcome Suu Kyi if she was elected in the vote and becomes a parliament member.

"The president wants the coming by-elections to be free and fair," he said.

Suu Kyi, who was freed from seven straight years of house arrest days after the November 2010 election, said she expected to live to see a "full democratic election" in Myanmar, in comments to the BBC last week.

Her NLD also saw its party registration officially approved by authorities last week, clearing the final hurdle to its participation in the by-elections.

A total of 48 seats are up for grabs in the April vote -- 40 in the lower house, six in the upper house and two in regional assemblies.

The polls are to fill places vacated by those elected in the controversial vote who have since become ministers and deputy ministers in the government.

But the number of seats available is not enough to threaten the resounding majority held by the ruling party.

One quarter of parliament's seats are taken up by the army, while the Union Solidarity and Development Party, which is packed with former military men, holds about 80 percent of the remainder.

Relations between the new nominally civilian government and the opposition have seen a significant thaw in recent months, with high-profile dialogue between former generals, including the president, and Suu Kyi.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-08

Alot of interest internationally in Myanmar at the moment. For less volatility I believe the changes should be slow. Otherwise too dramatic changes may upset someone important and lead to some form of clampdown.

I would love Myanmar to open up; think of the travel possibilities including even driving to Myanmar in your Thai car like you can in Laos and Malaysia.

Alot of interest internationally in Myanmar at the moment. For less volatility I believe the changes should be slow. Otherwise too dramatic changes may upset someone important and lead to some form of clampdown.

I would love Myanmar to open up; think of the travel possibilities including even driving to Myanmar in your Thai car like you can in Laos and Malaysia.

Jim Rogers : oh Myanmar , I am widely bullish on Myanmar , if I could find a way to put all my money into Myanmar i probably would , Myanmar is the place where China was in the late 1978 they're opening up they changed they are going the way the rest of the world has , they got 60 million people they're right there between China and India I cannot think of anything in the world on which I am more bullish than Myanmar as we speak .... - CNBC