Open Letter To PM Yingluck Re: Updating Laws Affecting Foreigners From Drew Noyes

webfact

If something written by Drew Noyes is considered newsworthy then so help Thai Visa. It's bad enough that every second or third news item on here, no matter the subject matter, descends in to a Yingluck, Abhisit or Thaksin hate fest but this???

George must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel for forum sponsors if garbage like this is allowed to masquaerade as news.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For all of those who are supporting Mr Noyes in his efforts, may I enquire how many of you live in the Pattaya area. This man has a well documented chequered past and is the subject of numerous allegations against him. I am sue no one in this area gives one hoot about his letter to the PM, he has just come up with another way to sensationalise his newspaper

I live in Pattaya and I do not appreciate his stupid actions at all.

I hope this letter is only published in his Pattaya Times and not actually sent to the Prime Minister.

For reasons that I cannot say, without Mr. Noyes consent, I am sure that the letter will get to Ms. Yingluck and will get her attention. I am also sure that she, or anyone else concerned will not even be aware of the small grammatical errors in it. What I am also sure of is the absolute vitality of the contents. Most of the issues mentioned concern me directly. I am married to a Thai national; I paid for a house (do not, as many will know, actually 'own' it) and live here on an income somewhere in the range of the visa requirement. When i first came to live here, the baht was 42 to the dollar; now it is 31. As such my "income" has shrank by 25%-not really my fault. I support three Thai nationals, as well as myself, with this money. Supposing there is another US disaster-say the election of Michele Bachman as president-and the dollar shrinks further. Maybe I no longer qualify for my Visa-do I just dump my house, wife, mother-in-law and step-daughter and leave? And go where? I live here and have for seven years. I do not like the thought that my future, and that of those dear to me, is to be decided by the world's currency traders, or, for that matter, the Thai Immigration Department.

Ms. Yingluck, please listen to Khun Drew; your brother did and it helped Thailand emerge from the '97 Asian financial cataclysm.

First post on this forum.

Are you a clone of Mr. Drew ?

Thailand - Law Firm Managing Director, newspaper Publisher, Property Development CEO, Investment Expert, Visionary Entrepreneur

Seems like Drew has vested interests that may have prompted his open letter to the PM

I disagree that it has to be in THai as Thaksin can read write and speak Thai

For reasons that I cannot say, without Mr. Noyes consent, I am sure that the letter will get to Ms. Yingluck and will get her attention. I am also sure that she, or anyone else concerned will not even be aware of the small grammatical errors in it. What I am also sure of is the absolute vitality of the contents. Most of the issues mentioned concern me directly. I am married to a Thai national; I paid for a house (do not, as many will know, actually 'own' it) and live here on an income somewhere in the range of the visa requirement. When i first came to live here, the baht was 42 to the dollar; now it is 31. As such my "income" has shrank by 25%-not really my fault. I support three Thai nationals, as well as myself, with this money. Supposing there is another US disaster-say the election of Michele Bachman as president-and the dollar shrinks further. Maybe I no longer qualify for my Visa-do I just dump my house, wife, mother-in-law and step-daughter and leave? And go where? I live here and have for seven years. I do not like the thought that my future, and that of those dear to me, is to be decided by the world's currency traders, or, for that matter, the Thai Immigration Department.

Ms. Yingluck, please listen to Khun Drew; your brother did and it helped Thailand emerge from the '97 Asian financial cataclysm.

First post on this forum.

Are you a clone of Mr. Drew ?

maybe leave like everyone else is

i just read that the garment factories are trying to locate to Burma and the biggest rice exporter now is Vietnam

so go figure

• Like 1

Good luck, nobody else has written, a few critics, well lets see if anything happens, if it does then maybe other will too, dont moan about getting a rough deal unless you either want to do something or are happy with the way things are, they can always be better.

From my experience the upper class Thais really don't want us here unless they can make some money off it. I have associated with a few and they pretty much could give a <deleted> less about some farmer or his family or the farang that supports them. As for the upper class guys they figure we just run the prices up for their shot at the farmers daughter.

On the fair side of the coin it is pretty much the same in our home countries. Talk to a Brit about some Indian or Pakistani who resides there. Try an American out on the subject of Mexicans staying in the USA.

We are fairly lucky they let us come here at all on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival. Try getting a tourist visa for your Thai girl to visit your country. See how that works out for you.

From experience I would say come here, rent something, make sure your assets are portable at the drop of a hat (or at least cheap enough that you can abandon them without being butt hurt) and enjoy your life. If you marry one as with any woman don't expect it to last a lifetime. Also as with any women don't expect them to stay with you once you stop providing for them or fall ill. It's not just thai's it's all women.

I love it here but see the reality in the situation.

Bill

Never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to lose.

Interesting first post from a new member today, you sure that's not you there Drew? (I 'm sorry, I mean BradWalker)cheesy.gif

Do you think Khun Drew is on speaking terms with Buddha too?

Interesting first post from a new member today, you sure that's not you there Drew? (I 'm sorry, I mean BradWalker)cheesy.gif

I agree

I note a typical 'Thailand expat' attitude here: as soon as someone tries to engage himself for the community, he is ridiculed, criticized and spelling errors are fingerpointed at (usually not without spelling and grammatical errors).

It's pitiable and pathetic, and shows how little self esteem there exists in many of us.

+1

The poor composition and lack of diligence by the O.P. is a bad reflection on us all.

Spelling and grammar check is so easy on the computer.

Nearly all six pages of replies to this post have spelling and grammatical errors , this is especially amusing in replies criticising the errors in the O.P.

Always amusing to see how “native speakers” write their mother tongue.

I think the letter deals with four important issues affecting thousands of foreigners. I fully support all 4 motions.

Okay, if you support all four motions, then may I suggest you help rewrite the letter .. IN THAI !!! and cut it down to a fraction of it's size. It is actually a very poorly structured document and had me yawning 1/3 of the way through before logging off.

Prepare the submission, in Thai ( Phaasaathai สวัสดีครับ ), supported with a petition with at least 50,000 signatures. While you're at it, come up with something that will demonstrate how the proposed changes directly affect living conditions for Thais, and how it will strengthen the current government's position. You need to make it worth their while, or else drop it.

Example of a submission requesting that the Thai Government enforce already existing laws. Whilst checking it out, please consider signing and sharing with others.

Good luck.

I note a typical 'Thailand expat' attitude here: as soon as someone tries to engage himself for the community, he is ridiculed, criticized and spelling errors are fingerpointed at (usually not without spelling and grammatical errors).

It's pitiable and pathetic, and shows how little self esteem there exists in many of us.

+1

The poor composition and lack of diligence by the O.P. is a bad reflection on us all.

Spelling and grammar check is so easy on the computer.

Nearly all six pages of replies to this post have spelling and grammatical errors , this is especially amusing in replies criticising the errors in the O.P.

Always amusing to see how “native speakers” write their mother tongue.

When writing posts here and at other places, I always have Gmail open. I will write there, check the spelling, correct the American spellings where different from Oxford Dictionary English, then copy and paste over to the relevant thread.

However, with the appreciation of the Thai Baht over the years many foreigners no longer qualify to stay in Thailand because they don’t have the Thai Baht equivalent of 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht a year since their fixed income is paid in foreign exchange and converted to the continuously appreciating Thai baht versus their pension’s currency.

For example, a man from England who decided to retire in Thailand at anytime from 2002 to mid-2008 would have calculated the value he would receive monthly from his British pension of his pounds sterling amount into Thai baht at an exchange rate of 60 – 70 baht to each pound. At 60 baht to the pound if his monthly pension is 13,500 pounds per month (1,112 pounds per month) he qualified easily for a one year visa for 6 straight years.

He would see that he could live well in this beautiful country that welcomes foreigners, so he would change his future and move to Thailand to enjoy his Golden Years in peace.

However, today, unfortunately, his pounds are worth less than 50 baht. At 60 baht to the pound he qualified for a one year visa for 6 years, but now at current exchange rates he can no longer live in Thailand (which he now calls home) even though he may own his own home here he bought with his life savings or from the sale of his home in his country.

Might be an idea to send Sir Mervyn King an email. He is the cause of this problem and the one who can fix it. It's not the Thai's fault the UK has decided to steal from savers and pensioners by devaluing sterling.

Of course with an index linked £198k annual pension and a cash equivalent pension pot growing by vasts amounts each year due the the inflation he chooses to ignore, Sir Mervyn may not be that worried.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/annualreport/index.htm

When writing posts here and at other places, I always have Gmail open. I will write there, check the spelling, correct the American spellings where different from Oxford Dictionary English, then copy and paste over to the relevant thread.

You could also use Microsoft Word.

• Like 1

For all of those who are supporting Mr Noyes in his efforts, may I enquire how many of you live in the Pattaya area. This man has a well documented chequered past and is the subject of numerous allegations against him. I am sue no one in this area gives one hoot about his letter to the PM, he has just come up with another way to sensationalise his newspaper

It is not about the intent of the letter, as poor the choices or text may have been...it is about the author claiming to represent all foreigners living here and that person being accused of many many dubious things, even charged in the US as such. I am quite disgusted to be included in his overall garb.

That is hilarious...you saved the day again Drew.....Super Drew.

George must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel for forum sponsors if garbage like this is allowed to masquaerade as news.

Agreed.

Do you think Khun Drew is on speaking terms with Buddha too?

Did not you know he is the most nicest, most friendly most experienced and down right bestest american to ever make thailand his home...and work for the big guy direct ??

Please accept this letter as a request on behalf of many foreigners living in Thailand like myself.

And what gives this idiot the right to assume that I am one of the foreigners he writes on behalf of?

What this guy is suggesting is charity. Any farang that is self-independent and is financially stable should have no problems staying in Thailand for the long term. As for any foreigners that cannot hack it over here under the present imposed requirements and regulations, than who wants them here anyway and what use are they to Thailand? Pattaya is a major example of what would transpire if the gates were left wide open to these people.

If the present Immigration requirements were relaxed and the suggestions of this guy granted, than Thailand would become a grazing ground for Western poor, underclass’s, real estate speculators, business opportunists, criminals and marriages of convenience would become rife, plus becoming a major threat to Thai culture that could alienate the Thai people against us.

My vote would be to place more restrictions on Westerners entering Thailand not to decrease them. I prefer Thailand just the way it is, with the less farangs, the better.

• Like 2

First of all, if he was an attorney, he would know better than to post such a blatant comment like : "Please accept this letter as a request on behalf of many foreigners living in Thailand like myself". He is NOT speaking for me and I am sure he is NOT speaking for many expats here in Thailand.

Secondly, all this will do is give the government new ideas as to how to take away what we now have and new ways for them to make money on us. They don't want us here to begin with; they only like our MONEY!

And to state that he knows she is busy dealing with the floods, don't forget he top priority right now is getting her brother back into the country without causing a civil war

So, speak for yourself, not ALL of us.

• Like 1

When will foreigners accept the fact that asians enjoy being treated equally with us in the west but westerners are treated as 3rd rate interlopers in thailand. As a farang i would be in far more trouble for exterminating a soi dog than a Thai would be for killing a foreigner expecially if they know influential people. Foreigners will probably never have equal rights with Thais. They dont really want us here. Its always about the money.

They only marry european men for their assets bought in LOS and even back home. An Australian recently lost his house in Australia to his Thai-isan wife in a divorce settlement. He owned the house before marrying the creep. We cant win.

No truer words were ever spoken. I see these TV posts from farangs saying they have met Ms. Right and married for X number of years. Just wait my friends there will come a day......................

• Like 1

When will foreigners accept the fact that asians enjoy being treated equally with us in the west but westerners are treated as 3rd rate interlopers in thailand. As a farang i would be in far more trouble for exterminating a soi dog than a Thai would be for killing a foreigner expecially if they know influential people. Foreigners will probably never have equal rights with Thais. They dont really want us here. Its always about the money.

They only marry european men for their assets bought in LOS and even back home. An Australian recently lost his house in Australia to his Thai-isan wife in a divorce settlement. He owned the house before marrying the creep. We cant win.

No truer words were ever spoken. I see these TV posts from farangs saying they have met Ms. Right and married for X number of years. Just wait my friends there will come a day......................

Don't judge everyone by your own standards just because you couldn't manage it.

First of all, if he was an attorney, he would know better than to post such a blatant comment like : "Please accept this letter as a request on behalf of many foreigners living in Thailand like myself". He is NOT speaking for me and I am sure he is NOT speaking for many expats here in Thailand.

Secondly, all this will do is give the government new ideas as to how to take away what we now have and new ways for them to make money on us. They don't want us here to begin with; they only like our MONEY!

And to state that he knows she is busy dealing with the floods, don't forget he top priority right now is getting her brother back into the country without causing a civil war

So, speak for yourself, not ALL of us.

Exactly...... and if he was a half decent attorney he wouldn't embarrass himself and us with such a pathetic, error strewn letter.

Edited by bigbamboo

Personally, I think there are too many "under 50" folks here already. I can honestly say I haven't met one that hasn't been a pain in the ass. The other three items have as much chance of success as water running uphill. Dang, this is three or four minutes of my life I will NEVER get back.

• Like 1

This has to be the most idiotic thing ever, I take it the person responsible for this naive idea has just arrived in Thailand as anyone who has spent time here knows quite defiantly that NON Thais are viewed as buffalo dung by any Thai elite or Hi-So

More like an advertising campaign that has also not been thought about........oh and good luck on renewing your work Permit and company registry as you will be well and truly placed on the watch list

Take it from me over 40 years here ...NOTHING will ever change for the good of Foreigners here especially the 4 points raised

Just look how a Thai woman gives up here rights when marrying a non Thai

that used to be, but not anymore. in 1999 when my wife and I retired here, if she was an American citizen, she could not own land. that law changed in 2001, now a Thai Female who is an American Citizen can own land. however her Falang husband still cannot own land.