Kindle Formatting...

samsiam

Anyone done it and know what to do ??

Any experts out there ??

I have a large document in both .doc and pdf currently.

The document has a lot of photos included in it.

I have no idea if the .doc document is formatted correctly...but it looks good as is.

The pdf format has misaligned the background colour when converted from doc to pdf and now the right hand side and bottom of the pages are left white on the edge.

I tried to download the mobipocket thing today and use that to convert...but no luck, all over the place and I have also downloaded the kindleviewer but that does not show anything unless in the required format to start with.

I am no computer genius by far, so if anyone knows the way, please advise.

Hi, get the program Calibre, I've found it does the best job for all kinds of documents, easy to use, and free! Let me know what you think. If has done a great job for me with PDFs and Docs, to convert them to Mobi, which is the best format for Kindle.

Edited by tominbkk

Agree that Calibre should be the way to go however I found that there are quite some issues when converting PDF to Mobi. I did it a few times and the whole formatting was off, odd spacing and you could no longer make out any paragraphs. Not sure what will happen to the photos included in your document.

On the other hand you can of course also view PDF files on a Kindle however the navigation is a b_tch.

Best recommendation I can give is to read the PDF file on a laptop or tablet.

I also use Calibre which is excellent but...... if you have a kindle, you will have a kindle free email account? If you email the . doc document to yourself at your kindle account with "convert" in the subject field Amazon will convert it for you to .mobi and it will be in you free account (and available to download on your Kindle) in about 5 mins. Log on to Amazon and view Manage my Kindle for the exact details.

• Like 1

Here are some notes I took. Maybe it will provide some clues. Basically there can be a lot of manual editing:

PDF Convert

1. Analyze File

2. Import in Mobipocket creator

3. Output is HTML (check target dir)

4. Go to target. Open .png first and delete as needed

5. Edit metadata (title)

6. Cover art, yes

7. Open calibre, add.prc of project

8. Edit metadata, can download including cover art

9. Convert to Mobi

10. Select title, right click to open target output dir, open file or O button

11. Open file in Mobi to check

12. To Kindle

Thanks...shall give the calibre a go.

I found a company that will do it for me if it comes to that and not to expensive.

I am not even sure that my original .doc is formatted or laid out correctly to do any transformation to these other files....so then having to do all the other techo stuff and it becomes a huge pile of 'too hard basket'....for me anyway....I admit defeat easily when computers and tech stuff is involved.