Trekking In The Hills In January

JRG-DK

Hi everyone !

We are going to stay the last week of January 2006 in Chiang Mai and the area around Chaing Mai. We are going for a 4 days trek in the hills northeast of Chiang Mai staying over with different hill trips on our way.

I have a few questions, which I hope some of you can help me with:

1. How is the weather op in the hills in the end of January? Especially how hot is in daytime and how low does the temperature drop during night?

2. I read something about very poor air conditions during the burning season. What period of the year is burning season? How does it affect the air up in the hills like maybe 50km northeast of Chiang Mai ?

3. Malaria. Is it necessary to take any precaution against malaria going on a 4 days trek like we are?

Thanks in advance!

Jørgen

1. How is the weather op in the hills in the end of January? Especially how hot is in daytime and how low does the temperature drop during night?

Daytime should be 80's, nightime around 10-15 celsius...

2. I read something about very poor air conditions during the burning season. What period of the year is burning season? How does it affect the air up in the hills like maybe 50km northeast of Chiang Mai ?

That would put you around the Khun Chae National park/ Trekkers Lodge. You shouldn't have any problem with air quality there, outside of not having a blue sky to gaze at..

3. Malaria. Is it necessary to take any precaution against malaria going on a 4 days trek like we are?

Not much of a problem in that area. I wouldn't worry about it...

Just my opinion...

I dont know that particular area but depending on altitude it could get down to 7 Deg early morning ! It regularly does in the Mae Hong Son area.

The burning doesnt realy get going until end of Feb so air quality should be ok.

I've never heard of Malaria in this area, has anyone else ?

Why take the risk with Malaria or Dengue?

Take a couple of tubes of "Bushmans" gel or something with 20-80% DEET in it.

It only takes one bite to ruin your health (or more). :o

Of course. :D It was not my intention to suggest no protection from mozzies. I assumed he was referring to protection from malaria, e.g., some kind of pills...

> Some places require you to have a clearance certificate

> allowing you to trek there if you are not with a guide.

huh.. like what places? Extreme border locations perhaps?? Seriously I never came across this.. Maybe your trekking guide dude was bragging a bit? :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

huh.. like what places?  Extreme border locations perhaps??  Seriously I never came across this..  Maybe your trekking guide dude was bragging a bit?  :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

This was up closer to Chiang Rai where the mountain villages are more protected plus concerns about "lost" trekkers. That was several years ago and restrictions may be less now. Wasn't the guide who told me but the 'rangers' or whatever they are called.

Edited by tywais

Having just moved to Chiang Mai, I think it would be nice to trek around in the mountains and get to know the area better. Weather is nice at this time of the year, so walking several hours seems feasible. :-)

Can anyone recommend a competent company that organises trecking tours?

Cheers, X-Pat

huh.. like what places?  Extreme border locations perhaps??  Seriously I never came across this..  Maybe your trekking guide dude was bragging a bit?  :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I would hope that nobody goes out into the hills without a guide. This is not Nepal with well defined ancient trading routes and clear views of ridgelines for guidance. Even guides can get a bit lost as trails can change from one year to the next. Somebody plans a new garden and voila, there is a new fork in the trail. Years ago, when our home was within a trekking area, it was not all that uncommon to hear of an experienced guide ending up on an adjacent hill requiring a few extra hours of walking for his group to get to the day's final destination.

Well.. okay, that would require some extra walking, but seriously what's the worst case scenario?? Follow almost any path/road and you get to a bigger road.. There you could hitch a ride. There's even SIGNS all over the place at forks and 'intersections' showing village names, school names and so on. (Okay there in Thai mostly, but a place worth writing a sign for is a place where there's people, water, a truck and likely a phone.)

The biggest problem with trekking these days is finding a place that's actually remote.. Roads are being paved at an incredible rate as well. (Which is a good thing overall of course)