Honda Crf 250L

RED21

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One CRF250L. I cannot get it in Dubai and now they stop to make it in Thailand but if you have a lot of time and don't mind wild goose chases it seems there is still one or two hidden away with dealers here in Bangkok.....thanks to anyone who can help.

One CRF250L. I cannot get it in Dubai and now they stop to make it in Thailand but if you have a lot of time and don't mind wild goose chases it seems there is still one or two hidden away with dealers here in Bangkok.....thanks to anyone who can help.

This model still shows on the AP Honda website. Why do you think it is no longer made here ?

Are you trying to buy one for Dubai or for riding here?

Doesn't BigWing Honda sell those things?

Maybe the concierge at your hotel or a mocy taxi guy can help.

post-174911-0-53904400-1458979329_thumb.

'like new' from BahtSold B125K.

Tanks for all replys, without this forum I had no chance. Brian in Sumet Cycles seems to be the "go to guy" I want new because I am not a good mechanic. Honda still have it on their site but call them and they cannot help. I work in Dubai but will live in Vietnam where this bike is not available so I will ride it across, I come to Bangkok every month or two where I knew it was being made. Has no idea it would be so tough to get, joined this forum and now am on road to getting bike, sincere thanks and safe riding"..........

Hi Papa Al, you are right, importing can be difficult but my wife is Vietnamese and I have residency for several years so I can do it, have a good weekend, FUMO

heard that over 150cc not allowed in VN.

not sure.

let us know.

You cannot buy from a dealer bigger than a 150cc however if you belong to a club of which there are several including a Harley club then you can own a bigger bike. Harley has a dealership in Saigon for "members". Other big bikes are imported by residents and those "connected".

I am far from an expert but I think if you are the registered owner of the bike with papers and insurance and wish to enter and exit as motorcycle tourist I do not see a problem, at border crossings daily there are trucks, busses, car n bikes. Northern Vietnam is a bikers dream.........

• 2 months later...

Did Honda do any improvements or modifications on the CRF250L from 2012 until now?

Not that I'm aware of. Only colour scheme changes and the release of the 250M.

But there's a CRF250L Rally due soon - basically a restyled tank side panels plus a 'Dakar' type screen.

Someone mentioned 105k baht, wow! I will get one.

I would like to find one second hand (unmarked) though, not because I am a cheapskate, which of course I am, but for 2 other reasons.

1. I want to try it out two up, the Lifan I bought earlier this year is a real fun bike, great riding position for me, tolerates potholes lovely, slightly lower saddle which I prefer to the CRF, but is just not for two people, specifically on the hills.

2. I want to ride it in Laos (lots of hills) and 4 months on, still don't have the green book for the Lifan and don't want to wait.

Did Honda do any improvements or modifications on the CRF250L from 2012 until now?

Not that I'm aware of. Only colour scheme changes and the release of the 250M.

But there's a CRF250L Rally due soon - basically a restyled tank side panels plus a 'Dakar' type screen.

Okay.

Yes the new 250 Rally looks very promising smile.png It has a bigger gas tank too thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Crf250L 2014: Nothing but clutch/gearbox issues; changed oil 3 times, main filter twice, trans filter once, clutch once, battery once all in the first year and a bit. I'll give Honda their dues the engine is strong and no issues there at all: Everything else seems pretty fine, but the clutch just means I would opt for a KTM for the next purchase. I don't consider I ride it that hard (not super-x hard anyway), no wheel spin, rarely mono from stand still, but this well documented defect leaves me perturbed. Next will be a full box rebuild (oh in Thailand should be interesting). Maybe a US carbon clutch could help/fix the issue? Same problems presenting themselves again after the clutch rebuild within 200 km's. Pissed Off. Fail - I am 6'5" & 120Kg's.

Crf250L 2014: Nothing but clutch/gearbox issues; changed oil 3 times, main filter twice, trans filter once, clutch once, battery once all in the first year and a bit. I'll give Honda their dues the engine is strong and no issues there at all: Everything else seems pretty fine, but the clutch just means I would opt for a KTM for the next purchase. I don't consider I ride it that hard (not super-x hard anyway), no wheel spin, rarely mono from stand still, but this well documented defect leaves me perturbed. Next will be a full box rebuild (oh in Thailand should be interesting). Maybe a US carbon clutch could help/fix the issue? Same problems presenting themselves again after the clutch rebuild within 200 km's. Pissed Off. Fail - I am 6'5" & 120Kg's.

Not sure if a carbon clutch would be a solution to the problem, it's true that carbon clutch plates can handle much more beating… but like carbon brake disc they start to work at a much higher temperature.

For instance for the most aggressive rider on the most aggressive motorcycle, riding at the max of the capabilities on the public roads in Thailand… you probably will have more problems with braking as the discs will almost never come near ideal operational temperature.

The Honda CRF250L as sold in Thailand is designed and build to have a maximum load capacity of 159 kilograms, while 120 kilograms is still well within the design limits you're putting more pressure on the clutch…

As a solution I would suggest heavy duty clutch springs (about 600 THB), that will help… You can also buy and install CBR300R clutch springs, they heavier than the stock CRF250L and are relatively cheap and easy to get...

• 1 month later...

My 2014 L has developed a faulty headlight. The Honda mechanic couldn't find the source of the problem but from googling it seems related to the starter switch. If the headlight goes off and I wiggle the starter switch around it comes back on. Anyone else have the same problem?

Archived