High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security: Thailand

webfact

High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KWQAl4XS8

Anyone think abuse of power is a rampant occurrence in Thailand? Well, this story will prove you right. A video clip has been making rounds on social networks in Thailand. The clip was posted on You Tube by someone who calls themselves “Bilingual Thailand”. The poster claims that this video clip was taken from footage of a close circuit camera in an airport. Stopping short of naming which airport the clip was taken from, “Bilingual Thailand” claims that the older gentleman wearing glasses is a high ranking official in the Customs Department who refused to go through the airport's normal security checks.

In the 1.14 minute long clip, airport security personnel tried to use a metal detector on this particular gentleman, but the said gentlemen immediately refused and continued to tell the airport personnel off. After which, he boxed the official's ears and continued with his tirade as dumbfounded onlookers watched.

“Bilingual Thailand” includes their own comment in the caption saying that just because some people have high ranking titles does not mean they have high intellect. They go on to comment about how sad it is that high ranking Thai officials like to flex their muscles when dealing with lower ranking officials, but once they walk off Thai soil, they become closed-lipped mice themselves.

In the latest development, the secretary general of the Customs Department has suspended the civil servant in the clip and has launched an investigation into the matter. The investigation is said to be complete within 30 days.

Translated from www.thairath.co.th

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-11

footer_n.gif

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Spot on GK. I went back to the US two months ago. They found a zippo lighter in my checked luggage given to me by a comrad when I was in Afghanistan. I was treated like a criminal. I had to go through interrogation by some guy with an IQ equalling room temperature in C. Consequently I missed my connecting flight,

• Like 2

From what I can see, the video shows the guy with the detector bowing to the "VIP" as he tries to scan him, as he does for all people. That is his job. Why do some think they should be above the law, especially when security and potential smuggling are involved? If you were the security staff, what would you do? If it were in America and many other countries, the "VIP" guy might well be arrested, or even shot.

Yep the more of these officials that have to suffer the inconvenience and humiliation that the average folk do the better, it will give them more perspective on future rules enforcement and changes...And the security guy is standing after the metal detector which must have alerted and why he was following through with the wand so he was well within his purview of doing his job.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

Maybe the security guy was doing on the job training and the senior official was just giving him some constructive criticism on the correct holding techniques of the metal detector.

Yes ok I know, I'ii go find something constructive to do. Before i go I think there is a mole in the works.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1

From what I can see, the video shows the guy with the detector bowing to the "VIP" as he tries to scan him, as he does for all people. That is his job. Why do some think they should be above the law, especially when security and potential smuggling are involved? If you were the security staff, what would you do? If it were in America and many other countries, the "VIP" guy might well be arrested, or even shot.

they are both security men,the guy that gets assaulted is new to his job,he does not know the guy he tries to search is security/customs official that is in a higher position than him,,,the high wanking security gaurd/customs mouse should be sacked,who else does or has he assaulted

oh well ,nothing new as we would see normally here with people in power or with money in front of "little" people . This area is the biz class check control for TG ,many time I saw "so called "VIPs" thinking how different they are from the rest of the common people.

When they will learn that law is the same for everybody .... but I guess they intend to forget easily .. Money talks again !!! how sad .... I wonder if me or another foreigner would have done the same what would have been the consequences . probably jail or big problem ...

• Like 1

They say they suspended the civil servant in the clip, but did not specify which one. (Or am I being too cynical again..?

Yeah my thinking too, like the teachers that turned in the abusive teacher at that Wat some time ago and found themselves suspended too but not the abuser TiT..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

First thing that strikes me is that he is actually smuggling some type of weapon and dont want to be checked by the detector....

Yep.........Customs official.....Gun....... Or.................................. Rabbit for his wife maybe? cowboy.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

This is clearly not one of those cases where someone should have 'stood up to them' is it? It is evident that the senior man causes assault AND massive humiliation in front of colleagues and other passengers. The senior man should be sacked immediately, if he is unable to support airport security in the job the Government and Airport Authority have given them to do then why should anyone else have the checks. Personally I do not agree with all the checks, but if they are mandated, which they are, then everyone should have them.

He will sent to his room without dinner and told to be a good boy. It would have been nice if someone had stepped up and beat HIS ass for this.