Dupont Lighter In Check-In Luggage

hands22

I just bought a Dupont lighter in Singapore. It's a birthday gift for a good friend in Thailand. Has anyone any experience in bringing in a lighter, all nicely packed in the original box, to Bangkok? Or would there a problem (confiscation or worse fine) with the custom?

Personally I would put the empty box into the suitcase and keep the lighter in the hand luggage.

Eh? Why's that? That's likely to get him nabbed and the lighter confiscated for sure..

Ironically I just read in another thread about another poster who had his lighter confiscated while entering the states and it was in his checked bags but honestly I think that was a one off and not likely to get confiscated in checked baggage, but who can say for certain.

I unintentionally had a small Swiss army knife of my late wife's on a key chain that was attached to my carry on bag back in 2003 and flew from the states to Europe and back, then here to Thailand and back to the states and back here again some months later through several security check points, Thailand, Japan, France, the US repeatedly and it wasn't until I went through security in Guangzhou China that it was confiscated as I hadn't realized it was there as it was tucked in a side pocket and attached to a key chain attached to the zipper tab.

I was not happy to loose it as it was one of few mementos I had of hers.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Personally I would put the empty box into the suitcase and keep the lighter in the hand luggage.

Eh? Why's that? That's likely to get him nabbed and the lighter confiscated for sure..

Ironically I just read in another thread about another poster who had his lighter confiscated while entering the states and it was in his checked bags but honestly I think that was a one off and not likely to get confiscated in checked baggage.

You can also put the lighter in your jacket or trouser pocket but I would never pack an expensive piece like that in the suit case and on the odd chance that Thai customs actually check your luggage they will only see an empty box which also will not show on any x-ray.

Ironically I just read in another thread about another poster who had his lighter confiscated while entering the states and it was in his checked bags but honestly I think that was a one off and not likely to get confiscated in checked baggage.

You can also put the lighter in your jacket or trouser pocket but I would never pack an expensive piece like that in the suit case and on the odd chance that Thai customs actually check your luggage they will only see an empty box which also will not show on any x-ray.

What are you talking about? They won't let you carry a lighter on your person on the plane, no purpose since you can't smoke anyways... When was the last time you flew anywhere? You're worried about it being lifted? That's the least of his worries.. More over carrying it on will pretty much guarantee it gets confiscated..

Edited by WarpSpeed

What are you talking about? They won't let you carry a lighter on your person on the plane, no purpose since you can't smoke anyways... When was the last time you flew anywhere? You're worried about it being lifted? That's the least of his worries.. More over carrying it on will pretty much guarantee it gets confiscated..

You must be an American, I fly all over the world apart from the USA and 95% of the time have a lighter on me, strangely the only place I was ever stopped was in Bangladesh.

To the OP I would go with the empty box in the suitcase and lighter in your possession. I have noted however at some airports they will not allow more than one lighter per person.

I would worry about having it in carry on, whilst theoretically lighters are permitted many airports are not allowing.

Changi Airport say a lighter is ok http://www.changiairport.com/passenger-guide/safety-and-security/restricted-baggage-items

Singapore Air say it's not http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/baggage-restrictions/

Of course you can carry a lighter and cigarettes on board a plane. SMOKING is forbidden, not the material for smoking. You need it for using the smokers lounges :-)

So why has it been mentioned many times they aren't allowed since that British twit almost burnt off his little boy trying to light his panties to explode them?..

Edited by WarpSpeed

This is ridiculous.

I travel extensively throughout the region as well as to Europe and the only time I had to give up my lighter was in Medan. In Perth I had 2 disposable lighters in my briefcase and they asked me to give up one.

Never ever anywhere else and that includes Singapore.

I have travelled from Sydney with a lighter and cigaretts in cary on backpack. (never been stopped in 20+ trips)

Have a smoke outside the airport (SYD now doesn't have airside smoking room) (rented out the space).

Have another on exit at BKK.

At BKK once saw bag inspection take 2 of 3 lighters of someone.

Always bring a few extra home to last till next trip but in checked bag, spaced apart.

aussiep

You can carry a butane lighter on the plane with you, but you cannot put it into checked baggage.

Here's my experience: I bought a small butane lighter in the USA as a gift for a friend here in Thailand, and I had a connection in Narita. I packed the lighter in my checked baggage, and then when I got to the gate in Narita, there was a sign on the counter with my name on it, asking me to enquire at the counter. I did and they asked me if I had a lighter in my checked bag, to which I replied I did. They then took me behind the wall at the gate counter and there was my bag, and they asked me if this was mine. I was beginning to think "uh oh". There was a security guy with a printed photo of an x-ray scan, which he used to locate the lighter after he opened my check bag. Of course I said "sorry, I didn't know I couldn't do that". They said no problem, that they would have to take it out of my checked bag and I could hand carry it on the plane. The agent explained that international regulations prohibited carriage of butane lighters in checked baggage because they would leak in a confined space and that would obviously be dangerous if they ignited. She further told me that the same regulations permitted carriage of one butane lighter in your carry on bag.

Interestingly, I found a card that said that the American TSA had opened my bag at the departure airport in the USA, but I guess they didn't see the lighter. I didn't even know they re-scanned checked bags from connecting flights at Narita, but they did and they are apparently very good at it. They found the lighter without opening my bag and TSA didn't.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

It is amazing the people that post incorrect information on forums.

Generally speaking, you cannot put a lighter in your checked luggage, but can carry (usually one) on board with you.

I have had excess lighters taken from me, but China (3 years ago) has been the only place that did not allow any at all, in my extensive travels.

Of course you can carry a lighter and cigarettes on board a plane. SMOKING is forbidden, not the material for smoking. You need it for using the smokers lounges :-)

correct! i always fly with cigarettes and lighter (but not when flying out of India!)

correct! i always fly with cigarettes and lighter (but not when flying out of India!)

you had a by pass operation and still smoke?

i cut down my smoking considerably. instead of 48 i nowadays smoke only 47 Marlboro a day. and of course i stop smoking in the evenings from 22.30 till 03.30hrs when i'm sleeping.

• Like 1

i cut down my smoking considerably. instead of 48 i nowadays smoke only 47 Marlboro a day. and of course i stop smoking in the evenings from 22.30 till 03.30hrs when i'm sleeping.

extremly sensible decision as always.

It is amazing the people that post incorrect information on forums.

Generally speaking, you cannot put a lighter in your checked luggage, but can carry (usually one) on board with you.

I have had excess lighters taken from me, but China (3 years ago) has been the only place that did not allow any at all, in my extensive travels.

It's not incorrect it's just what you have yet to experience. Too much regulations are still subject to the agents desecration..If it's not allowed in the checked luggage I'd let them tell me that instead as you can always remove it then before checking it but if your luggage is already checked and they stop you at the gate your screeeewed with no options but give them a new lighter....

Edited by WarpSpeed

I once had a lighter confiscated in Hong Kong. It was in my pocket. Security also removed and kept the batteries from a small travel alarm clock in my carry-on bag. I think it's up to the person doing the checking. Whatever you do, don't argue with them. They'll pull you off the flight in an instant.