Good Place For Eyeglasses And Real Eye Exam

junglechef

Saw a post here a while back on this but can't find it and and search option works like your asking it "where's Waldo?". Rather not have my old out of date glasses checked nor "look at a house" test. And then get fitted with a pair of glasses of quality for a fair price, not looking for a cheap deal nor expensive designer frames. Anybody have any good experiences?

I have used Tokyo optic for the past decade or more. I get new spectacles every two years or so. They're not cheap, but I've always found them to be excellent quality and the staff appear to know what they are talking about. There's a branch downstairs in Big C Hang dong Rd that I used last time, after the branch opposite the Duangtawan hotel closed down. I'm sure there are other branches too.

I would go to RAM or Sripat Hospital and get the exam done there then, armed with the prescription. go compare prices at say three of the main optical retailers that seem to sit on every street corner, Tokyo could be one, Top Charoen another and who knows for the third.

The point with the high street shops is that they are all just about the same, the push will be on from the moment you walk in to but expensive frames and lenses. I wear progressive lens and I have a good pair (Essilor 360) for home use and then a cheap pair tinted black for outside and for driving, trying to get the cheap pair replaced is a nightmare because everyone wants to sell my the expnsive stuff and regularly quotes 15k and up for the lenses - with some research I've found I can buy the lense for 5k but the trouble is, they don't want to to sell them to you or even to let you know about them. Another trick is to buy the frames and the lenses separately, depending on what deals you find where.

• Like 1

Just to add to their plaudits, Vision Center is probably the most professional and honest organization I have yet dealt with in Thailand.

Got some new glasses from 10 days ago, done in the day and they apologised (!) that I would have to wait until 5pm to pick them up (it was 11.30am when I was told this). I asked about contact lenses and Mr Vision Center came out and said that with my astigmatism I would be better off getting them in the UK/USA/Australia. Anyone who turns down business for all the right reasons is a person I do business with in the future and recommend to all my friends.

On a minor note they even have their own covered parking behind, accessed down the right hand side of the shop (as can be seen in dave 2's photo above).

All in all the perfect antidote for anyone feeling jaundiced about LOS.

Edited by NxaiPan

I did go to Vision Center due to previous posts. I have expensive Lindberg frames, wanted new lenses.

Mr VC said he can't do it because the frame is made of titanium and send me off. I was puzzled. Found a dealer who carries Lindberg near Warrarot market. Lenses were expensive, don't understand the differences in make anyhow but will not try to save on my eye sight.

For the eye check I went to Ram, the young lady doc was very professional. Did a catracts test, which I would not let do by an optition.

http://goo.gl/0G8Mk

The usual answer, with which I agree whole-heartedly, is Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd. It's near to the UN Irish Pub, same side but a little closer to Moon Muang.

/ Priceless

+1

+2 (Thanks Priceless for last year's post!)

Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd

I took my wife there she wanted bifocals. He checked her and said she would do better witth two pair and it saved me 1,000 baht.

As for a real eye exam he recommended a doctor inside the moat on the north side towards Ram.

I had one done at sirapat and was told my eyes were OK. Nonsense I might have gone to a witch doctor.

I went here with my prescription from RAM and he dismissed it saying he would give me a free test as he didn't trust their results. After his comprehensive and highly technical procedures he gave me the resulting lenses for my approval and they were fine. He then gave me another pair of lenses to try and I said "no thanks, the first pair was much better". He then told me the second pair was the RAM prescription.

• Like 1

I took my wife there she wanted bifocals. He checked her and said she would do better witth two pair and it saved me 1,000 baht.

As for a real eye exam he recommended a doctor inside the moat on the north side towards Ram.

I had one done at sirapat and was told my eyes were OK. Nonsense I might have gone to a witch doctor.

Saving money wouldn't come into it. I wouldn't have two pair of glasses, that would be a real pain in the tushky.

Get good quality progressive lens, get used to them and you'll never go back to two pair of glasses.

So Vision Center good for lenses and frames.

hellodolly, could you expound on that info re: the eye exam at the doctor inside the moat, north side (Sripum) closer to Ram that Mr. VC recommended? As in, name and address and maybe phone?

I've had good luck with Tokyo Optic at KSK for eye exam, and a good price at Optic Square in KSK for lenses and frames.

Coincidentaly, I had a spring-loaded earpiece on a very nice frame break on me the other day (old frame Geoffry Beene brought from US, 10+ yrs old).

Went to Optic Square- repair out of the question. Managed to find some rather pricey frames that the lenses could be cut to fit into.

They still have the 2990 for progressives price advertised on their front window. That is lenses only I refer to.

I suspect it does not come with all the bells and whistles that my original pair from them came with. Meaning included anti-reflective and anti-scratch, wide track progressive, super thin (all the vendor, technical and marketing terms elude me, my apologies).

My original couple pair of lenses from them worked very well for me- I'm still using them 3 years later!

They largly sell Essilor, which is considered inferior to Hoya.

I've had eyeglasses made from both, couldn't tell the difference.

Will try Vision Center for frames and lenses, but hope to hear back from hellodolly regarding the eye exam Dr. that Mr. VC recommends.

I went here with my prescription from RAM and he dismissed it saying he would give me a free test as he didn't trust their results. After his comprehensive and highly technical procedures he gave me the resulting lenses for my approval and they were fine. He then gave me another pair of lenses to try and I said "no thanks, the first pair was much better". He then told me the second pair was the RAM prescription.

Brilliant piece of marketing!

This guy has now ascended to legend status. This is Thailand at its best.

• Like 1

Brilliant! I'm sold. I need new glasses anyway.

Saving money wouldn't come into it. I wouldn't have two pair of glasses, that would be a real pain in the tushky.

Get good quality progressive lens, get used to them and you'll never go back to two pair of glasses.

I went from having one pair of glasses (from the U.S.) to two pair after I kept falling because of holes, cracks, etc in the sidewalk. I couldn't see my feet or the pavement clearly thru the bottom portion of my glasses because they were intended to use in reading, not walking.

Now I have a pair of "walking glasses" and a pair of reading glasses -- both from Vision Center.

They did an eye exam for Hubby when he thought he needed new glasses and they said "no. Current prescription OK and frames in very good condition" The legend grows!

I went from having one pair of glasses (from the U.S.) to two pair after I kept falling because of holes, cracks, etc in the sidewalk. I couldn't see my feet or the pavement clearly thru the bottom portion of my glasses because they were intended to use in reading, not walking.

Now I have a pair of "walking glasses" and a pair of reading glasses -- both from Vision Center.

They did an eye exam for Hubby when he thought he needed new glasses and they said "no. Current prescription OK and frames in very good condition" The legend grows!

Exactly here in Thailand you have to watch where you are walking. I suppose if you were in a modern western city you would do OK with progressive glasses but defiantly not here in Thailand if you do any walking. Even inside a building go into any bathroom and there is a step getting in and not always as high as the last one..

So Vision Center good for lenses and frames.

hellodolly, could you expound on that info re: the eye exam at the doctor inside the moat, north side (Sripum) closer to Ram that Mr. VC recommended? As in, name and address and maybe phone?

I've had good luck with Tokyo Optic at KSK for eye exam, and a good price at Optic Square in KSK for lenses and frames.

Coincidentaly, I had a spring-loaded earpiece on a very nice frame break on me the other day (old frame Geoffry Beene brought from US, 10+ yrs old).

Went to Optic Square- repair out of the question. Managed to find some rather pricey frames that the lenses could be cut to fit into.

They still have the 2990 for progressives price advertised on their front window. That is lenses only I refer to.

I suspect it does not come with all the bells and whistles that my original pair from them came with. Meaning included anti-reflective and anti-scratch, wide track progressive, super thin (all the vendor, technical and marketing terms elude me, my apologies).

My original couple pair of lenses from them worked very well for me- I'm still using them 3 years later!

They largly sell Essilor, which is considered inferior to Hoya.

I've had eyeglasses made from both, couldn't tell the difference.

Will try Vision Center for frames and lenses, but hope to hear back from hellodolly regarding the eye exam Dr. that Mr. VC recommends.

Extremely sorry. I have no information I gave the card to Dr Morgan.

It was on the north side of the old city inside the moat If memory serves me right it was close t the west side of the old city.

I have heard good reports on ST. Peters it is just eye work.

It sounds as though there's a consensus for Vision Centre so that's good, am just wondering why this place was not recommended for inclusion on the pinned CM Docttors list, presumably there's a medically qualified person behind this place? I think on the basis of what's written here it's worth including on the list.

• Like 1

Exactly here in Thailand you have to watch where you are walking. I suppose if you were in a modern western city you would do OK with progressive glasses but defiantly not here in Thailand if you do any walking. Even inside a building go into any bathroom and there is a step getting in and not always as high as the last one..

OK I give in.

Been wearing varifocals for 25 years, never had a problem yet.

Varifocals are not bi-focals.

Edited by uptheos

I have a fairly aggressive set of progressive bifocal lenses and when I first had to use them 8 years or so, I had about a day's learning curve where going down stairs was a scary experience. After that first day, the brain completely handles it. Stairs, mountain biking on rocky trails, are no problem after just a few days of using them.

I have this great optician in Penang who introduced me to multifocals. One lense is lightly stepped back for reading. Does not work for everybody. Less expensive and no learning curve. I also buy contacts from him via mail. 6 months supply for 2600B

I have a fairly aggressive set of progressive bifocal lenses and when I first had to use them 8 years or so, I had about a day's learning curve where going down stairs was a scary experience. After that first day, the brain completely handles it. Stairs, mountain biking on rocky trails, are no problem after just a few days of using them.

"progressive bifocal lenses"

I understand bifocal lenses and progressive lenses but not progressive bifocal, please help me out. I tried google and could not find anything. Thanks.

"progressive bifocal lenses"

I understand bifocal lenses and progressive lenses but not progressive bifocal, please help me out. I tried google and could not find anything. Thanks.

Sorry.. My fault for combining the terms. Meant the progressive lenses that give you two zones with no hard demarcation line.

• 2 months later...

RE "Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd

I went here with my prescription from RAM and he dismissed it saying he would give me a free test as he didn't trust their results. After his comprehensive and highly technical procedures he gave me the resulting lenses for my approval and they were fine. He then gave me another pair of lenses to try and I said "no thanks, the first pair was much better". He then told me the second pair was the RAM prescription."

Based on recommendations here I went there last week immediately following and with my prescription from St Peters'. He said the new prescription was useless. My 5-year old lenses were fine Hmmm.

The usual answer, with which I agree whole-heartedly, is Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd. It's near to the UN Irish Pub, same side but a little closer to Moon Muang.

/ Priceless

+1

+2

I went in there to get a pair for normal around town driving and what ever. Not reading .He tested me and said they would not make that munch of a difference.

I asked about sun glasses that would change with the amount of sun and he said another waste of money so I got regular sun glasses and am very happy with them.

I had bought reading glasses from him previously and he asked me if I had the old pair so he could see if a new pair would be worth while. I had not brought then as they had a slight scratch and I wanted two pair any have one for traveling and one to lay by the bed where I do most of my reading. I wholly recommend them.

Not sure if this place qualifies for a REAL EYE Exam, however I've been wearing glasses for about the past 42 years and it works for me. Location... At the Holiday Inn Light after you cross the river turn RIGHT going toward the Super Highway on 106. When you get the the Market on your LEFT just accross from the Holiday Inn the Eye Glass store is on your LEFT. A small shop that I have been using for the past 5 years. I go to Big C or somewhere like that and pick out frames from a pair of sunglasses or reading glasses I like. Take them to this place. You sit down and she does an Eye test using the automated Machine. Same ones the doctors used in the USA when I had my Lasik Surgery done 10 years ago. About 30 seconds later you have a great prescription. She tests the prescription to make sure you like it and can see. Then she MAKES the lenses for your glasses in 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cost = 400 baht for a new pair of glasses.

any shops to recommend for deep myopia lenses? unfortunately mine is at -11 and -9.5, plenty of shops gave ridiculous quotes and only accept if i order the ultra thin one. will be using only when i remove contact, so being made out of glass o plastic, or the thickness doesnt matter