O (Spouse) Visa, 1 Year, Multiple Entry, Singapore. Success

10/01/2012

Arrived with all paper work as per Thai Embassy SG website.

-My passport with valid 6 months.

-Photos (Singapore passport Size) (saw a guy came with some home printer photo and got rejected!)

-Copies of Marriage Cert, ID, Passport of spouse. (Cross sign by Wife.)

-Letter from wife saying I was visiting her parents. (Typed in English)

-Plane ticket

-Current bank statement (Used my local bank account)

Part 1(There is this Chinese lady who would check your papers at the door, or she will walk around. Showed her my papers and casually ask her how much does my bank accounts balance needs to be. She uttered some thing like $2000(SGD). Well, I had THB400,000 as per website. If you guys want to chance it, you may try.)

Part 2(This is tricky, was requested for "current" papers. Was Rejected with my online statements because it did not have a "current" date, date 2 weeks ago. Lady at counter wanted something within "+- few days". I went to ATM and got a receipt, but was rejected as it does not have my name on it! Then used my bank statement from Thailand and was "Allowed". Lady at the counter said, "without a valid "current" bank statement, they can Not approve Multiple Entry visa.")

Extra paper work I carried

-Thai bank statement, signed and stamped within a week.

Was given a small piece of paper with my queue number on it

-Do Not Loose This!!!

11/01/2012

Collection time 2-3pm Only!

Got there early and waited in line.

Was about 10 behind.

Went in, got to counter, picked up passport and checked it.

Left.

That's it. Another visa run completed.

Hope it helps.

Attached a picture as proof! smile.png

post-112997-0-05789000-1326288613_thumb.

Edited by gabong

Brilliant exactly what I was looking for!

I did Singpore once with a printout of my US bank account (from an internet cafe) and an ATM slip. Don't remember if the ATM slip had my name on it or not, but I had to try 3 different ATMS before I found one that would show my balance.

Anyway not going to take a chance, will go for the bank statement - what kind of statement is required, how long did it take to get it at the bank? Is a bank book OK? BKK bank is kind of funny about bank statements particularly when not at my "home" bank branch. And my home branch is in Pai so I'd have to ride there..

Just 1 day processing time? The embassy website says it takes 2...

Edited by nikster

Brilliant exactly what I was looking for!

I did Singpore once with a printout of my US bank account (from an internet cafe) and an ATM slip. Don't remember if the ATM slip had my name on it or not, but I had to try 3 different ATMS before I found one that would show my balance.

Anyway not going to take a chance, will go for the bank statement - what kind of statement is required, how long did it take to get it at the bank? Is a bank book OK? BKK bank is kind of funny about bank statements particularly when not at my "home" bank branch. And my home branch is in Pai so I'd have to ride there..

Just 1 day processing time? The embassy website says it takes 2...

I had mine printed at my bank branch.

It was just some copy machine print out.

It had bank details, my details, my balance details, also made sure it had a "today's" date printed somewhere.

Had a staff signed it.

It worked for me.

But if you have bank books, do make a copy for back up too!

No harm in being extra safe.

Thanks for all the info. I am still in Singapore: Went to the embassy today at 8:30, #3 in line, out of the building by 9:20.

The lady at the counter is very friendly and told me my application was "perfect". Most certainly a first for any embassy I've been to! I think she really liked the official Thai bank letter stating my balance. Good thing as it took me hours to get this... my balance was too new to print a normal statement so the bank clerk had to improvise... never ask a bank clerk to improvise... she came through but it took her literally an hour to produce the letter.

I gave her the list of transactions too and she took it - so I guess they like that too. Don't know. We'll see tomorrow. My only mistake was that my photo was taken on a blue background, but she let that slide. It's supposed to be on a white background. Why photo shops even bother with blue backgrounds is beyond me...

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Be sure the statement you get has a balance on it. TFB issued me a statement which was actually a transaction report stating there was nothing else they could give me. Staff at the Sgp embassy told me they would not accept it next time, even though this was the 3rd Cat O visa they issued me in my current passport... I have a ways to go on this visa and will need to explore getting a proper balance statement next time. Might be an issue of my local branch not knowing...

Be sure the statement you get has a balance on it. TFB issued me a statement which was actually a transaction report stating there was nothing else they could give me. Staff at the Sgp embassy told me they would not accept it next time, even though this was the 3rd Cat O visa they issued me in my current passport... I have a ways to go on this visa and will need to explore getting a proper balance statement next time. Might be an issue of my local branch not knowing...

Yes, most local branches may be clueless on this issue.

Go to your bank's head office or call the head office for help.

The embassy in SG is very picky on the bank statement issue.

Do not mess up, or you will not get your visa.... :(

I had my statements printed out at my city's biggest branch office.

I had figured that most tesco mall branch bank will be clueless...

Make sure there is your Name, Date, Account details, Balance, Bank name, etc...

All must be clearly printed.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Have done the same successfully a week ago. The funny thing was the chinese aunty who kicked everyone in front of me out of the queue for something missing in the papers. Only one visa agent in front left. Took 5 mins, besides the 45 mins for waiting. Opening time is 9:15, not 8:30. And the muslim lady at the counter even smiled at me, so different of what people posted elsewhere smile.png.

One question gabong, on your pic it says you paid 0 S$, I had to fork out 250 as PR. Are you SG citizen and is this for free?

Edited by mmaacc

If he is from Singapore doing it in his own country it should be easy! No different to a US Citizen doing one in the USA very easy indeed.

Thanks for posting the news and well done!

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

Foreigners residing in Singapore can also apply for the same visa as Gabong (based on marriage).

Just need to show their Sing. i.d. card (do not need to be PR).

Some serious buliding works going on at the embassy, huge bulidings going up.

Just out of curiosity...

To the OP.... if you had 400k THB in Thail bank account, why did you go to SIN to get a 1 yr multiple entry O visa?

Wouldn't it have just been cheaper and faster and easier to go get a 1 yr extension at immigration in Thailand?

• 2 months later...

Just out of curiosity...

To the OP.... if you had 400k THB in Thail bank account, why did you go to SIN to get a 1 yr multiple entry O visa?

Wouldn't it have just been cheaper and faster and easier to go get a 1 yr extension at immigration in Thailand?

My O visa was going to expire back then. And I have no idea how the extension works...lol... excuse my ignorance... Is the extension for "90 day" leave country/reporting the same as a 1 yr extension?

If he is from Singapore doing it in his own country it should be easy! No different to a US Citizen doing one in the USA very easy indeed.

Thanks for posting the news and well done!

I had my previous O visa done in LA. It was painless... Love it!

My O visa was going to expire back then. And I have no idea how the extension works...lol... excuse my ignorance... Is the extension for "90 day" leave country/reporting the same as a 1 yr extension?

No an extension would allow a one year stay without leaving and you can continue to obtain without leaving (same paperwork each year and 1,900 baht fee).

Have done the same successfully a week ago. The funny thing was the chinese aunty who kicked everyone in front of me out of the queue for something missing in the papers. Only one visa agent in front left. Took 5 mins, besides the 45 mins for waiting. Opening time is 9:15, not 8:30. And the muslim lady at the counter even smiled at me, so different of what people posted elsewhere smile.png.

One question gabong, on your pic it says you paid 0 S$, I had to fork out 250 as PR. Are you SG citizen and is this for free?

Yes. I carry a SG passport and is a citizen. And erm... regarding the amount paid...

The previous visa I paid USD$175 in LA.

This time round, I'm just glad it's printed as is! :P

No an extension would allow a one year stay without leaving and you can continue to obtain without leaving (same paperwork each year and 1,900 baht fee).

Thanks a lot!

That means, I will need a O visa. Go into thailand. Go to Immigration and get stamp for a 1 yr extension and report there every 90 days until my visa run out?

Not exactly. If for Thai wife both of you will have to appear with proof of 400k in bank account for previous 2 months and letter from bank of account balance and marriage proof and her ID card and home register and marriage ledger entry copy from District Office and photos together at home inside and outside and proof of address and map to home and normal copies of your passport/visa/permission to stay and departure card, TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo and fee of 1,900 baht. You may have to have someone confirm you living together at immigration or on a visit to home. They will have to interview both you and wife (mostly wife) to confirm marriage. Any travel will require a re-entry permit to return to Thailand and keep extension. If you do not travel every 90 days you must report address (can be done by someone else or by mail so not hard for most). There will be a 30 day or longer under review period but final approval but if accepted it will be approved (unless you know it is false).

Sound like a lot but actually only about an hour or less at office and to make the paperwork will not take that long (but sounds worse than it is when written down like this). You need to do this during the last 30 days of a non immigrant O visa 90 day entry.

Not exactly. If for Thai wife both of you will have to appear with proof of 400k in bank account for previous 2 months and letter from bank of account balance and marriage proof and her ID card and home register and marriage ledger entry copy from District Office and photos together at home inside and outside and proof of address and map to home and normal copies of your passport/visa/permission to stay and departure card, TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo and fee of 1,900 baht. You may have to have someone confirm you living together at immigration or on a visit to home. They will have to interview both you and wife (mostly wife) to confirm marriage. Any travel will require a re-entry permit to return to Thailand and keep extension. If you do not travel every 90 days you must report address (can be done by someone else or by mail so not hard for most). There will be a 30 day or longer under review period but final approval but if accepted it will be approved (unless you know it is false).

Sound like a lot but actually only about an hour or less at office and to make the paperwork will not take that long (but sounds worse than it is when written down like this). You need to do this during the last 30 days of a non immigrant O visa 90 day entry.

Thank you, lopburi3 !!!

Yes, it sounded really complicated at first.

I'm will drag myself to the local immigration to sort out the details... It's just bloody hot these days... Or I'm just lazy.. :P

So, I just got my 4th consecutive Cat 'O' in Singapore without showing any money in Thailand. Due to general disorganisation on my part, I rode my bike to Mae Sot for a re-entry stamp only to be told my visa had run out and I'd be given 14 days... Then being inside the 21 day minimum needed to renew locally, I had no choice but to head back to Singapore and managed to ignore the fact my Thai bank account is running on vapour.

Anyhow, I presented a consolidated statement for a bevy of Singapore accounts with more than 400K Baht on deposit and it was not challenged or questioned on submission (unlike a year ago when they called me on the transaction report I presented). On collection the next day I confessed to my concern that as the funds where not in Thailand, my application would be rejected ; not a problem was the response, just as long as you do have the funds, but they don't need to be in Thailand.

I am not sure if that follows stated policy, is Singapore-specific, or any other factors. It is however what happened to me :)

As for the grumpy Singaporean lady, I just speak Thai to her and smile - she does not like it, but does not pester me.

• 6 months later...

^ Starting post is 1 year ago, the last success reported July 2012 by DualSportBiker above... maybe Singapore is still an alternative to KL for Europeans who don't want to travel to Europe for a new 1 year Non-O marriage visa.

I was there myself last year, it was just fine, and the grumpy lady wasn't grumpy at all, she was very happy that I had brought my bank statement printed out by the Thai bank beforehand. It's very efficient too, in and out in 30 minutes for both submission and pick up the next day.

Singapore has the advantage that there's a direct flight from Chiang Mai. The other advantage is that it's not KL. tongue.png

Edited by nikster