Thai Official Faces Action Over Suvarnabhumi Airport Assault

webfact

CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT

Official faces action over airport assault

THE NATION

30173590-01_big.jpg

Contraband-unit employee captured on video attacking security personnel

Police yesterday issued a summons for a C7 customs official after video clip showing him assaulting an airport security officer and refusing to be patted down started doing the rounds in cyber space.

Suvarnabhumi Airport superintendent Colonel Nattanan Nanasombat said Sombat Chatchaiwaiyawit, 55, had seven days to respond to the summons.

"If he does not report to police, we will issue an arrest warrant for him," Nattanan said.

Meanwhile, after viewing the clip, Customs Department's director-general Somchai Poonsawat has ordered that Sombat be transferred out of Suvarnabhumi Airport. Sombat led a customs unit responsible for crackdowns on contraband and narcotics.

Somchai also ordered an investigation into the incident and expects results in 30 days.

"If found guilty, he will face action in line with the Office of Civil Service Commission's rules," he said.

The clip showed Sombat walking through a security checkpoint on January 8, but refusing to be patted down after a security alarm beeped. Sombat was then seen whacking security officer Sirichai Maichum, 33, in the ear with both his hands. The senior official then pointed to his badge and the junior officer was seen bowing apologetically.

The video was posted on YouTube on Monday and by Tuesday it had attracted thousands of angry comments.

"His action has caused serious damage to the reputation of the Customs Department," Somchai said yesterday.

Meanwhile, Sirichai went to see a doctor after the assault and found that his eardrum was injured. He then lodged a police complaint against Sombat.

Sirichai works for Asia Security Management, which provides security services at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"He [sirichai] has always carried out his duties well and from the clip we have seen that he did nothing wrong," the security firm's human-resources manager Passakorn Aksornsuwan. He added that the company had covered Sirichai's medical expenses and given him days off until he recovers.

"He will be assigned the same job once he recovers fully," Passakorn said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

Related topic:

High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security

http://www.thaivisa....urity-thailand/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If found guilty, he will face action in line with the Office of Civil Service Commission's rules," he said.

What are the Commissions rules? Will he recieve a promotion, a new house, new mercedes or will he get detention and pick up rubish in the carpark during his lunch break?

• Like 2

This is a good video to use as an airport security training video for two reasons 1. What to do in this situation and how to handle the official. and 2. This official will lose face every time the video is played.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.
  • Like 2

He probably wont lose his job, if he is head of Narcotics and Contraband at the airport, there have been a fair few arrests lately (how many times in the last 6mths have you read 'XX Kg's of Ice/Meth/Whatever seized' headlines?)

He will get moved (to an 'inactive' position?) and maybe get a day in court and have to pay lots of tea-money to get himself out of it, but he wont do time...

• Like 1

In watching the youtube video several times, the two handed swap to the ears was a slow one...looked almost like a squeeze/pressing action more than a slap. But regardless, it was very unprofessional and definitely didn't set no example for the troops....and for sure there was a big loss of face. But I'm sure some compenstation will restore the face.

He will probably be transferred to an 'innactive post' such as the airport taxi rank collecting 50 baht fees from generous fat whitey tourists .

You are probably right about being transferred to an inactive post, but unfortunately it will probably be a post with a nice office with a view, air con, no responsibilities, and no pay cut. And maybe they will put a life size doll in the office so the guy can continue to box ears.

• Like 1

I just watched the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0an4lZ9bk - you can clearly see that another 'official" came through first and had no intention of stopping for security and retrieved his bag and cell phone first. Then the mentioned "official" came through and was hostile about being checked, "bullied" the courteous security employee , and then berated him and another woman about "just who is was" waving his badge and ranting, strutting his arms. Disgraceful breach of security at Suvarnibhumi, the Thailand international airport.

I just watched the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0an4lZ9bk

- you can clearly see that another 'official" came through first and had no intention of stopping for security and retrieved his bag and cell phone first. Then the mentioned "official" came through and was hostile about being checked, "bullied" the courteous security employee , and then berated him and another woman about "just who is was" waving his badge and ranting, strutting his arms. Disgraceful breach of security at Suvarnibhumi, the Thailand international airport.

the first man clearly didnt set off the detector, therefore he is free to collect his hand luggage and move on without further checks.

have you ever been in an airport ? huh.png

• Like 2

He will probably be transferred to an 'innactive post' such as the airport taxi rank collecting 50 baht fees from generous fat whitey tourists .

You are probably right about being transferred to an inactive post, but unfortunately it will probably be a post with a nice office with a view, air con, no responsibilities, and no pay cut. And maybe they will put a life size doll in the office so the guy can continue to box ears.

Just read in a Bangkok Post article the official has been transferred to the Bureau of Central Administration for the duration of the inquiry. I expect they will buy him a life size doll today to keep him occupied.

• Like 1

I just watched the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0an4lZ9bk

- you can clearly see that another 'official" came through first and had no intention of stopping for security and retrieved his bag and cell phone first. Then the mentioned "official" came through and was hostile about being checked, "bullied" the courteous security employee , and then berated him and another woman about "just who is was" waving his badge and ranting, strutting his arms. Disgraceful breach of security at Suvarnibhumi, the Thailand international airport.

the first man clearly didnt set off the detector, therefore he is free to collect his hand luggage and move on without further checks.

have you ever been in an airport ? huh.png

Defiantly inappropriate action and a misguided sense of self importance.

Be that as it may the offended party did not act as though there was some thing wrong with him.

This pathetic man should have been cuffed and hauled off to the cells immediately along with all the tourists who are scammed by Kingpower. It is sad to the see the security man having to bow and scrape to the evil little jerk who just assaulted him just for doing his job properly. Obviously every one will be paid off and nothing will happen to him, while the security man's career will probably nose dive.

• Like 1

A similar situation happened to me some years ago when I was a Customs Officer in Zambia.

A Zambian came waltzing through the Customs Hall from the public area without any introduction.

I jumped over the Customs bench, grabbed him by the arm and took him back outside.

When I returned to the Customs Hall I was advised by one of my Zambian staff that it had been the District Governor.

Two minutes later the man returned to the Customs Hall and came straight up to me.

Instead of berating me he congratulated me on my firm action and promised the situation would never happen again.

I had serious respect for that man

I've watched the video several times. Slapping both ears in this manner is a nasty assualt. You don't need to use much power to damage eardrums and disorientate the recipient. The security man clearly feels this from his body language and the jerking of his left hand to the ear. He does well to try and ignore it.

The assailant's movements are interesting. Maybe testing his alcohol level would have been a good idea.

Behave like this in any other major airport and you'd have armed police jumping all over you.

Great!!! thumbsup.gif

Justice at least for now and i hope the Higher authority will prove to the world they mean business !!!

I appuad his superior for taking action as law applies to everyone and not just the ordinary folks or foreigner. clap2.gif

Let wait and see what action is taken from here

Serve him right, at 55yr old still doesn't know how to behave and lead by example !!! post-4641-1156693976.gif

Inapropriate behaviour but assault? I don't see anybody throwing punches there.

And anyway, according to my first-hand knowledge on this issue, anybody can assault anybody they don't like in Thailand without any legal consequence. At most 1,000 THB fine is charged at the police station where assault is called "boxing' and considered fundamental human right.

Accused slapper yet to appear

SAMUT PRAKAN - The senior customs official, who slapped a Suvarnabhumi Airport security officer in the ear for having asked him to undergo a security check - an incident widely shown on YouTube - has not yet responded to a police summons.

Suvarnabhumi Airport police station superintendent Pol Col Natthanan Nanasombat said Thursday the senior official Sombat Chatchaiwaiwit had been given a week, before January 18, to contact police or an arrest warrant would be issued. The police investigator also requested the victim's physical examination results from hospital to use in the case investigation and has interviewed witnesses. Police are also investigating who released the video clip of the incident on to the Internet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

Accused slapper yet to appear

SAMUT PRAKAN - The senior customs official, who slapped a Suvarnabhumi Airport security officer in the ear for having asked him to undergo a security check - an incident widely shown on YouTube - has not yet responded to a police summons.

Suvarnabhumi Airport police station superintendent Pol Col Natthanan Nanasombat said Thursday the senior official Sombat Chatchaiwaiwit had been given a week, before January 18, to contact police or an arrest warrant would be issued. The police investigator also requested the victim's physical examination results from hospital to use in the case investigation and has interviewed witnesses. Police are also investigating who released the video clip of the incident on to the Internet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

I think this got cut short should have finished -' and caused us to actually do work that we are paid for'.

His position does not have immunity so he probably headed to the temple to contimplate his actions and may even don the robes for a period of time. He probably has engaged in this type of behavior before, thus he knows the system and how to work it.