Furniture

eire

Hi,

My husband and I have just built a new house in Ireland and will be spending 1 month in thailand in Jan.

We are interested in buying furniture and sending it home.

Can anyone recommend where to go to buy furniture? and also any information about shipping?

Thanks in advance

Thailand is a country of 60 million so some idea of where you will be might be helpful. Also the type of furniture would also be a factor.

In general most shopping malls have furniture shops at the higher levels but I suspect few would be prepared to ship overseas from these.

Overseas shipment is likely to be quite expensive (especially if you compare with shipment to Thailand) as this is very much an export country.

One thing to remember if you plan to buy wood is that most will crack when subject to dry heat found in northern homes.

As Lop has told you already, it all depends on what type of furniture you want.In Chiang mai there are 100's of shops/factorys that cater to the Tourist.It all depends on what you are looking for.

EG:If you are after water Hyacinth Furniture, you can probably buy it in CM for about the third of the price than at home.

If you are buying a house load, then it dramaticly reduces costs etc as you can really haggle on price...

Check out with a local shipping company/freight forwarder in Ireland about duties etc.Remember you will also have to pay VAT (If it is the same as the UK)

When my parents were visiting we checked out a few of the furniture places in Chiang Mai and all were willing to ship overseas, taking care of all details.

Seemed to me that CM was the place to go for these things as I haven't seen much of that elsewhere in Thailand.

When my parents were visiting we checked out a few of the furniture places in Chiang Mai and all were willing to ship overseas, taking care of all details.

Seemed to me that CM was the place to go for these things as I haven't seen much of that elsewhere in Thailand.

Thank you all for your reply.

I will be in both Bangkok and CM.

The type of furniture we were thinking of buying was things like dining table and chairs, beds, patio furniture sofa bbq. so I guess alot of that would be timber.

The main reason we want to buy in thailand is we have been told it works out alot cheaper than home (incl shipping)

Does anyone know what types of timber would withstand the dry heat best?

Thank you all for your reply.

I will be in both Bangkok and CM.

The type of furniture we were thinking of buying was things like dining table and chairs, beds, patio furniture sofa bbq. so I guess alot of that would be timber.

The main reason we want to buy in thailand is we have been told it works out alot cheaper than home (incl shipping)

Does anyone know what types of timber would withstand the dry heat best?

Teak!! :o Plus there are plenty of others.CM can get vely hot,but the heat is normally vely dry.

Hi Eire...

i would recommend  http://www.oriental-look.com/

whe nwe go to buy some furniture we always use them....also hang out for a discount...it is possible....but arrange your own shipping as thats were they buck the prices up....

happy hunting....

ps..where in eire are u?

Thanks for that belfast boy.

We are from kilkenny. Think we will look them up when we are in Thailand.

do you have any idea on shipping rates.

Thanks

Hi Eire...

i would recommend  http://www.oriental-look.com/

whe nwe go to buy some furniture we always use them....also hang out for a discount...it is possible....but arrange your own shipping as thats were they buck the prices up....

happy hunting....

ps..where in eire are u?

oriental look have a great web site, but you should be looking at a min of a 30% discount off prices.

Personally, I shop around and tell people that I am buying for my own shop.Don't let a tour guide take you around, as often they will have thier hand out for a kickback commission as well.The best way to shop tho, is to get a native CM person to do the negotiations.....I knew I got married for a reason. :o

When searching for shipping prices,get them from both ends and ask them EXACTLY what the add ons are.To give you an example of what you can achieve, I was given a freight rate US$30 per cubic metre BETTER from a company at home, than what the Thai companies would give me here...yet I could negotiate better FOB (Local) charges from the Thais...so we used a combination of both.