US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the USA clown show in action. You want a NCIS or CIA party in bangkok you warn of an attack. The whole community gets orders there to find the problem and after they party for a week. They say they thwarted it and all is now well.

Yeah, good thing there were no clown shows in Bali in 2002, right?

Curiouser and curiouser. This article says the targets in BKK were Israelis. Where could they possibly hit Israleis besides the embassy--which is darned near inpenetrable? Airlines? Any thoughts?

http://www.ajc.com/n...or-1301317.html

Khao San Road. Has always been the bigget target in my opinion, much more so than any place in Suhkumvit like Nana

Curiouser and curiouser. This article says the targets in BKK were Israelis. Where could they possibly hit Israleis besides the embassy--which is darned near inpenetrable? Airlines? Any thoughts?

Khao San Road. Has always been the bigget target in my opinion, much more so than any place in Suhkumvit like Nana

But I am asking about a target of mainly Israelis. Khao San does not fit that.

Edited by bangkokhoosier

But I am askking about a target of mainly Israelis. Khao San does not fit that.

There are Israeli guesthouses there

It is worrying to hear that Bangkok is threatened in this way. What have the Americans done now? For sure they must have done something bad to people to want to hurt to them. But I wish they would not choose Bangkok - the Bangkokians have not done anything to these people for sure.

Try actually reading what the email said. It has nothing to do with America or Americans. It was a warning to US citizens in Thailand. It stated westerners. You know, farang...

I'd bet there are some Israeli tourists there. Americans as well. I think their philosophy is something like "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out".

One safe place if you are thinking of a night out would probably be Sukhumvit Soi 3.

The timing sounds to me like it might be related to the allegation that the US was involved in the assassination of an Iranian nuclear scientist. All I can say is thank God for America, because only HE knows what it would be like in this world without their sacrifices.

There are Israeli guesthouses there

Hmmm. I did not know that. Maybe But that would be small potatoes (for Hezbollah). My guess is El Al, but what do I know?

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

I said exactly the same thing when I was living in Bali October 2002... Western Tourists in a Hindu Exclave... 202 Dead.. One bomb.... a Big frigging bomb..

I'd bet there are some Israeli tourists there. Americans as well. I think their philosophy is something like "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out".

One safe place if you are thinking of a night out would probably be Sukhumvit Soi 3.

Not necessarily . Sunni and Shi'ite terrorists are as fond of blowing up each other as they are of blowing up Jews and infidels.

Am I reading too deeply into this or does it sound as if the Thai govt was willing to sit on this if the US embassy did not go public? Thoughts?

That's the way I read it...and said as much in my prior post...

The U.S. Embassy never would have gone public on this without having prior consulation/coordination with the Thai govt.... So clearly the Thais knew something was afoot.

And that was confirmed by the media reports above quoting the PM as saying they'd known about the threat for some time, presumably after having been alerted by the U.S. [correct that, now apparently Israel.]

A Thai senior intelligence officer who did not want to be named told AFP that the kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat.

The suspect was detained Thursday while the other man had already fled the country, he said.

Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung told AFP by telephone that the detained suspect was being questioned by the Thai authorities.

"We already have one suspect in custody for interrogation at a government building in Bangkok. He is a Hezbollah from Lebanon," he said.

But as the Thai Minister was quoted above as saying, they saw no need to issue their own alert, since it would hurt tourism, and Thais didn't need to know anyway....

First-class work there, Thai government...

And to all those kicking up B.S. about the U.S. Embassy's warning, maybe you instead ought to be asking yourselves.... Why did you hear nothing from your own embassies.... even when they knew about the threat and, as reported above, were considering whether to tell you about it?

And BTW, just to reiterate again, there was nothing in the U.S. Embassy warning indicating that the threat was specifically targeting Americans.... rather... just tourist areas in BKK. And Americans don't make up the largest share of that broad community.

If some terrorists were specifically out to target U.S. interests or Americans per se, it's pretty unlikely they'd go looking to strike in tourist areas of BKK. Lots of other places would be far more American-centric.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The timing sounds to me like it might be related to the allegation that the US was involved in the assassination of an Iranian nuclear scientist. All I can say is thank God for America, because only HE knows what it would be like in this world without their sacrifices.

"He"? Now what sort of delusional myths are YOU peddling?

From the BBC news

The US has warned its citizens in the Thai capital, Bangkok, to be on the alert over a possible terrorist threat.

Its embassy in the city said US citizens should "exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather".

Thai Defence Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapha said the US had warned Thai authorities that two suspected Muslim "terrorists" had entered the country.

But he told the AFP news agency a general public warning was not needed.

"Our intelligence officials are working closely with the US and following the terrorists' movements closely," he said.

"I believe we will arrest them tonight. For Thai citizens, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

The US embassy said Americans in Bangkok should "keep a low profile in public areas, particularly areas frequented by foreign tourists", without giving further details/

Bangkok has been hit by several small scale bombs in recent years in what are thought to have been politically motivated attacks, and Thai Islamist insurgents regularly carry out attacks in the southern provinces.

But attacks on or by foreigners are rare

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

I said exactly the same thing when I was living in Bali October 2002... Western Tourists in a Hindu Exclave... 202 Dead.. One bomb.... a Big frigging bomb..

Not to mention the American managed (but Indonesian owned) hotel bombings in Jakarta.

Edited by bangkokhoosier

The article posted on page 13 is where I read it.

A Thai senior intelligence officer who did not want to be named told AFP that the kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat.

The suspect was detained Thursday while the other man had already fled the country, he said.

Edited by Tatsujin

There seems to be some facts in question here...

The AFP report is saying one guy's been arrested and the other has already left the country...

But this other report above quotes Thai officials as saying two guys supposedly had been arrested...

Initial reports indicate that he and Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung both went on to confirm that the two suspects have been arrested. There has not been any confirmation that the two arrested suspects are the reason behind the emergency warning.

Anything better on this subject?

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

The Americans looking after themselves again! What's that saying again?......"When the going gets tough, screw you"..

Oh come on now. The mailing list for the US embassy is to Americans. Would the Russian embassy be sending messages to Brazilian citizens?

You know now, so stop whining. It's not a confidential message.

Yea, for Americans who register with the U.S. State Dept they get warning messages via email. I also saw this info on CNN TV News a few hours ago. I sure countries/embassies share information/intelligence such as this, but whether and when another country's embassy decides to take similar action is up to them.

Anything better on this subject?

The Thais, fearful of losing so much as 1 tourist dollar, are obfuscating as usual, blindsided by the Americans who decided unilaterally to do the right thing and release their warning, giving tourists the choice as to stay home or hit the streets.

2 arrested, 1 escaped, 1 held, 1 invited for questioning, nobody knows, dont worry, but whatever you do, dont tell the tourists.

US warns of possible terrorist threat in Bangkok

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The US embassy in Bangkok warned Friday of a possible terrorist threat against tourists in the Thai capital, urging its citizens to exercise caution in areas popular with foreigners.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," it said in an emergency message posted on its website, without saying what prompted the warning.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-13

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The US embassy in Bangkok warned Friday of a possible terrorist threat against tourists in the Thai capital, urging its citizens to exercise caution in areas popular with foreigners.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," it said in an emergency message posted on its website, without saying what prompted the warning.

afplogo.jpg

Think part of these sort of warnings is f***** up mind-games WITH the terrorists!!.. as in 'Let's see if we can manipulate any jihadists perhaps already making their plans, into heading elsewhere other than US soil to the 'soft' targets (which we've just 'Oooh no, I hope nothing happens there!' reminded them of!!!) You think they give a toss about you or me, over here? Think again!!!!!!!

afplogo.jpg

afplogo.jpg

Think part of these sort of warnings is f***** up mind-games WITH the terrorists!!.. as in 'Let's see if we can manipulate any jihadists perhaps already making their plans, into heading elsewhere other than US soil to the 'soft' targets (which we've just 'Oooh no, I hope nothing happens there!' reminded them of!!!) You think they give a toss about you or me, over here? Think again!!!!!!!

They have already been arrested in BKK, Einstein. Any further reflections?

It is hardly surprising the yanks are targets (if it isn't just another BS alarm), pi^sing on dead Muslims ain't going to endear you to folks. It is about time the rest of the world put some distance between them and us, as they have a stockpile of bombs now ready to drop on someone. Who will be next? SE Asia hasn't been blessed for while.

I have bad news for you. Americans aren't the only targets of such operations. ALL Westerners are.

Not if we dump the Yanks as an ally, Spain did it years back and no one is threatening them now, well not Muslims anyway. Blair conned us into these wars, so start by "throwing him to the dogs" just as a show of good faith. His head on a pole would wipe that smirk off his face.

It is simple logic, drop bombs on people, kill their family members and you create more terrorists. Don't drop bombs on people and you won't. Conclusion, people don't like being bombed for no reason,

• Like 1