US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future..."

So no actual information, just making sure everyone stays usefully frightened. The only thing that amazes me more than the fact that the US play this game exactly the same way every time is that people fall for it and start begging their governments to take away all their civil liberties.

Don't believe the hype.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

How does one keep a low profile in public places, especially those frequented by foreign tourists - keep low, hide behind pillars? Wouldn't it be better just to avoid them all together?

As an American I have stop listening to my government about terrorism. Most of their intents and claims are political and for creating a bogyman for sole purpose of scaring their citizen, so they can continue deceiving the public and at the same time spend billions of $$ to help their weapon manufactures.

• Like 1

Summary of this afternoon's events...

3:00PM: US Embassy issues email warning of possible (no imminent, no possible, no imminent) terrorist attack in Bangkok targeting Westerners.

3:05PM: US recalls warning emails.

3:10PM: US sends emails to ignore recalls, this is a real warning.

5:00PM: Thai Foreign Minister says they know about the suspects, are tracking them and will probably arrest them tonight.

5:15PM: Thai government announces that they arrested 2 Lebanese nationals linked to Hezbollah (no correct that, one arrest... the other one already fled the country).

5:20PM: Thai government says Israel warned them a couple of weeks ago about these 2 people but not sure why since the arrested man says he's not a terrorist.

Conclusion: Nothing to see here. Thank you, Chalerm!

I am sure this has already been discussed here but I am enrolled in the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). I haven't received any notification of the warning. I wonder if I have done something incorrectly on the site. I would be interested if others did not recieve anything to please comment to my post. Thanks and I am a newbie here on the board but have enjoyed reading the posts. I have lived in Lumpini (Bangkok) now retired here for three months. Thanks in advance,

bobth

Edited by BobTH

How does one keep a low profile in public places, especially those frequented by foreign tourists - keep low, hide behind pillars? Wouldn't it be better just to avoid them all together?

As an American I have stop listening to my government about terrorism. Most of their intents and claims are political and for creating a bogyman for sole purpose of scaring their citizen, so they can continue deceiving the public and at the same time spend billions of $$ to help their weapon manufactures.

This. It also concerns me that this tactic works so well that there's a temptation to resort to false flag operations if the 'Islamic extremists' stay unhelpfully quiet. if, indeed, this hasn't already happened.

War is peace, kids. Go to sleep. Your government is in control.

3:00PM: US Embassy issues email warning of possible (no imminent, no possible, no imminent) terrorist attack in Bangkok targeting Westerners.

5:00PM: Thai Foreign Minister says they know about the suspects, are tracking them and will probably arrest them tonight.

5:15PM: Thai government announces that they arrested 2 Lebanese nationals linked to Hezbollah (no correct that, one arrest... the other one already fled the country).

5:20PM: Thai government says Israel warned them a couple of weeks ago about these 2 people but not sure why since the arrested man says he's not a terrorist.

The US Embassy never said "imminent". That came from here. Also, are you saying that because the suspect denied being a terrorist that he is indeed not a terrorist?

The rest I can agree with. It's strange.

Edited by bangkokhoosier

I will end by saying this, if you Americans feel hated it is because no one likes a bully and that is what you are. I am ashamed to say that my country is helping you and truly wish they would stop.

I know that there are many Americans who opposed these recent "invasions" and I feel for those people, but like my country, your government has another agenda. .

• Like 2

"...foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future..."

So no actual information, just making sure everyone stays usefully frightened. The only thing that amazes me more than the fact that the US play this game exactly the same way every time is that people fall for it and start begging their governments to take away all their civil liberties.

Don't believe the hype.

hey I don;t trust the government either but does that mean you automatically dismiss everything? Even when they have arrested Hezbolllah suspects now?

I would take this serious.From what I heard there would be 2 suspects of a terror organisation from Libanese origin who are in Thailand and the US together with secret service of Israel and Thailand would work together to get these guys .That there is no warning from Thai government not so surprisingly because they do not want to harm tourism..

I will end by saying this, if you Americans feel hated it is because no one likes a bully and that is what you are. I am ashamed to say that my country is helping you and truly wish they would stop.

I know that there are many Americans who opposed these recent "invasions" and I feel for those people, but like my country, your government has another agenda. .

I don't disagree with you, but the history of the human race has shown that all powers and empires that have the power to behave badly do behave badly. Most much worse than the US has. And only the US has actually allowed its primary defeated enemies self determination. But yes, we should have done better and it's sad.

Edited by bangkokhoosier
  • Like 1

The world would be a far safer place without religion. "Imagine" a world without god! How nice.

This world is already a world without god, as god does not exist.

I have been an atheist since I was a teenager. It is a wonderful world without that funny fiction.

• Like 1

The world would be a far safer place without religion. "Imagine" a world without god! How nice.

not all religions have a god or gods, and it is not religion which as at fault, it is a small proportion of people who taint religion. The vast majority of religions all point the same direction but use different modes of transport to get there, anyone who does not see this is ignorant to the fact. Before you start bashing religions, get your facts straight. I know many religious people who lead a far virtuous life than that of non religious people, and you obviously also have people in religions who take things to extremes.

This thread has really gone off topic on so many levels

Missus just mentioned that on Thai Channel 3 news just now that Thailand was warned by Lebanon of this on Dec 22, but declined to mention it as "it might scare tourists". This came from a defence minister. Worrying if true, but can't see how Thailand would know before the US, although I don't know how diplomatic information is spread. Chalerm also said this but could not elaborate as it was "classified'. Geez - who are we to believe?

This is the last thing the country and its tourist industry needs. I sometimes think the terrorists best weapon is to leak information, whether true or false, in the full knowledge that the USA will take note and issue the appropriate warnings.

How inconvenient for your narrative that Hezbollah suspects have already been busted in BKK.

Edited by bangkokhoosier

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

They obviously have picked something up, but what does "act accordingly" mean? When you act accordingly, what will you do different?

Stay at home with the GF instead of hanging out where the other western people hang out. giggle.giflicklips.gif

Come on, brother. It's a nice, cool Friday evening in Bangkok. The beautiful women are in their thin, silky evening attire, the motorcycles are roaring up and down my soi, the soi dogs have been fed, I'm kicking back to watch a quick movie with some Thai whiskey. Who hates Americans? Anyone who hates (without individual human specificity) Americans, probably hates a whole lot of other people as well and that's OK. Who cares who hates us? We are surviving just like everyone else.

Have a great evening.

• Like 2

Seriously. I tried to respond to him (I'm a fellow American) with this, but it would not post for some reason:

You may want to give credit for that liberation also to the thousands of Brits,Russians

MILLIONS.

This world is already a world without god, as god does not exist.

I have been an atheist since I was a teenager. It is a wonderful world without that funny fiction.

I am glad that worked out for you, but not everyone is the same. The reason why people conform to a certain religion or none at all is down to mental disposition. You should be allowed to grow up and then decide for yourself. I was an atheist for a long time and before even knowing anything of thailand or living here, became a buddhist (for those who are ignorant to this, buddha is not and was never a god).

not all religions have a god or gods, and it is not religion which as at fault, it is a small proportion of people who taint religion. The vast majority of religions all point the same direction but use different modes of transport to get there, anyone who does not see this is ignorant to the fact. Before you start bashing religions, get your facts straight. I know many religious people who lead a far virtuous life than that of non religious people, and you obviously also have people in religions who take things to extremes.

This thread has really gone off topic on so many levels

Google "No true Scotsman" and educate yourself. For the record, Buddhism is exempt from my disdain for religion. It is the three Abrahamic religions --the desert dogmas--that have caused most of the pain throughout history.

Irrespective of whether this threat materialises or not, the government is handling it with all the disingenuousness,non-transparency and incompetence it displayed during the recent floods. In that case, over 600 lives were lost - many of which need not have been.

The lesson here is you cannot believe the authorities who are corrupt and dishonest clowns. A real threat would be another FROC-up!!

Unfortunately, that leaves us with only sources such as foreign embassies. Who would have thought we would be saying better the CIA than the national government for information!

When was the last time I bully you troll.

Even muslim terrorist nut jobs take exercise loin jollies, dont mean they have an imminent target!! Nevertheless takecare all who are out and about in Bangkok!

There must be names on flight schedules that flagged up or similiar!! maybe from multiple locations.

An Atheist! Who has no need for a crutch!! And thats not meant to be a pun!

Edited by metisdead
Font.

Anything better on this subject?

The Thais, fearful of losing so much as 1 tourist dollar, are obfuscating as usual, blindsided by the Americans who decided unilaterally to do the right thing and release their warning, giving tourists the choice as to stay home or hit the streets.

2 arrested, 1 escaped, 1 held, 1 invited for questioning, nobody knows, dont worry, but whatever you do, dont tell the tourists.

MUSTYJACK - I agree. Looks like the US embassy has done the right thing. And Chalerm's subsequent mutterings look very much like a damage limitation exercise. Afterall tourism is the Thai's cash cow.

Technically no, to be a practicing buddhist officially you need to take refuge in the 3 jewels which has nothing to do with atheism. You can do a lil 'pick n mix' of buddhism to help with your life if you so wish, but that does not make you a practicing buddhist.

I do not believe in a creator God, but a statement was proposed saying that 'correct there is no God'. How can that be proven? There is no evidence to disprove that either.