US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

being pedantic I know, but the title of this topic says Imminent which in my book means any moment now, while the warning says possible.

Perhaps trumping you in the pedant department, imminent primarily refers to time parameters, while possible refers to the relative probability of any attack happening, imminent or not. So couldn't an attack be possibly imminent? Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being pedantic I know, but the title of this topic says Imminent which in my book means any moment now, while the warning says possible.

The headline wasn't written by the US Embassy. The email I received was entitled: "Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat."

The headline wasn't written by the US Embassy. The email I received was entitled: "Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat."

Thats my point isnt it? ;) CNN is writing the headlines for TV now lol

US Embassy warns of possible terrorist attack in Bangkok

The Nation

30173676-01_big.jpg

The US Embassy in Bangkok on Friday issued an urgent alert for its citizens in Bangkok of possible terrorist attack.

The alert said foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

US citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a heightened awareness when out in public; be alert for unattended packages/bags in public/crowded places and report any suspicious behavior to the nearest law enforcement personnel.

"We also encourage you to keep a low profile in public areas, particularly areas frequented by foreign tourists."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-13

And one more stroke against Thailand being the fun place we love to go.

Just the "normal" fear mongering the US like in order to justify their crazy martial law jurisdiction at home. Enjoy Thailand. I avoid gatherings of farang as a matter of course anyway ...

• Like 1

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

*Deleted quote edited out*.

Oh come on now. The mailing list for the US embassy is to Americans. Would the Russian embassy be sending messages to Brazilian citizens?

You know now, so stop whining. It's not a confidential message.

I didnt have the impression of whining .. LOL that warning wont change anything .... clubs will be full , bars will be full etc ....

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

They obviously have picked something up, but what does "act accordingly" mean? When you act accordingly, what will you do different?

Perhaps "avoid areas popular with tourists". I think Embassies are unlikely to issue warnings willy-nilly, as people are likely to ignore them unless there is a genuine threat.

Today is Friday 13th, perhaps terrorists want to make a day we won't forget. We ought to take these warnings seriously.

Bangkok isn't the only place with high profile western tourist soft targets in Thailand. I am skeptical that they only mentioned Bangkok.

Perhaps they have intercepted information that mentioned Bangkok? We don't know for sure, but since a warning has been given that mentions Bangkok specifically it may be prudent to be cautious.

Sorry, I am not trying to be argumentative, but when you are cautious what will you do differently? The bottom line is we will all go about our daily lives as before as there is nothing we can do about this. Will the US embassy announce when this threat is over? No, of course not.

Reporting a terrorist risk on westerners in asia is like reporting that it often rains in a monsoon. The embassy may just have seen darker clouds than usual. It neither suggests it will rain on your laundry nor that you shouldn't pack a poncho.

You are so wrong. There is no way they would have sent this warning if they hadn't picked up major chatter about it. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't a bluff or that it will definitely happen.

Pretty sure we have some Spooky TV members around - perhaps they can shed some light on the situation?

If they did have light to shed on the situation I'm pretty sure they wouldnt put it out in the public domain, where the subjects of interest could find it and adjust their tactics

And one more stroke against Thailand being the fun place we love to go.

Just the "normal" fear mongering the US like in order to justify their crazy martial law jurisdiction at home. Enjoy Thailand. I avoid gatherings of farang as a matter of course anyway ...

You sound like a superior individual. No crowds of f-rang for you. Well done!

Folks, it was sent in error. False alarm. Shortly after it was sent, this notice was quickly recalled. A little while later, the recall was then recalled with this message: “Due to a technical error, some recipients received this message – followed by a recall message – a few minutes later. Please disregard the recall message.”

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2012/01/us-embassy-recalls-warning-of-imminent-terrorist-attack-in-bangkok/

Reporting a terrorist risk on westerners in asia is like reporting that it often rains in a monsoon. The embassy may just have seen darker clouds than usual. It neither suggests it will rain on your laundry nor that you shouldn't pack a poncho.

Maybe you are right, but this is the first time that the warnings are specific to BKK and tourist areas (excluding the warnings that were the result of Thai domestic strife). In the past they issued blanket warning to many countries such as after 9/11, the Bali and JKT hotel bombings, etc. I sense they have something.

• Like 1

Folks, it was sent in error. False alarm. Shortly after it was sent, this notice was quickly recalled. A little while later, the recall was then recalled with this message: “Due to a technical error, some recipients received this message – followed by a recall message – a few minutes later. Please disregard the recall message.”

http://www.thaitrave...ack-in-bangkok/

eh meaning the message still stands?

• Like 1

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

The Americans looking after themselves as usual! What's that saying again......"When the going gets tough, screw you"..

It's an email from the American Embassy to registered American citizens. The embassy sends out warnings and travel information regularly. The information has been made available to everyone who reads ThaiVisa because someone chose to copy it here.

What do you expect the Embassy to do? If they started making public announcements, you would probably start whining about intrusive, meddling Americans.

If your embassy isn't providing the information to you, why not whine to them?

• Like 1

You are so wrong. There is no way they would have sent this warning if they hadn't picked up major chatter about it. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't a bluff or that it will definitely happen.

Fair call. Still, I won't change my behaviour - in that I'm already cautious. Everywhere, and Bangkok feels a whole lot safer than, say, LA, Paris or Sydney.

Maybe you are right, but this is the first time that the warnings are specific to BKK and tourist areas (excluding the warnings that were the result of Thai domestic strife). In the past they issued blanket warning to many countries such as after 9/11, the Bali and JKT hotel bombings, etc. I sense they have something.

See, quite a few newbies joining up to add some intel (shhhhhh) ph34r.png

I was @ the American Consulate yesterday--They said nothing about the 'warning' to me-so I don't take this so strong a warning. You anti-American 'Dudes' just sit/stay in your chairs/drink Singha/Chang-whatever. Or just "BREAK'.

• Like 1