US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

*Deleted quote edited out*

Your avatar says it all comrade.

So, nothing to say about the contents of the link he gave? Just an aside about his avatar, and a totally unsubtle effort to paint him as a commie? Go on, do your best, refute the message on the serendipity website.

Hey, the CIA are swine. Have been since the 50's . I know that. But to say that most terrorist attacks these days come from them is pure idiocy.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in the Middle East and when the US Embassy gives out a "warning" they have a "heads up" on something; however, the warning is so general and nonspecific that it seems like no warning at all. Just try your best to stay away from restaurants, bars, even hotels that are basically geared for Westerners. Personally, I no longer stay in the international 4-5 star chains anymore because they have been targets in various countries... Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Egypt, Turkey... the list continues.

Before a terrorist strikes he does not ask you if you are American or whatever, he just carries out his attack. If the US Embassy is so sure, then other Embassies should be doing the same, however, the Americans seem to get information from reliable and very unreliable sources at times.

The embassy isn't guaranteeing the accuracy of their warning or claiming to be perfect. While I don't worship my government, I trust them enough to have rational processes to determine when warnings like this are reasonable to give.
  • Like 1

Interesting - is there any way of getting more info on this?

If it's Muslim extremists, would it be safe to think they'll go after the red light areas? Nana in particular is almost the perfect target for an attack. Full of infidels, no fire escapes, one way in one way out.

Or is it perhaps going to be aimed at Childrens day? Targeting kids foreign & Thai.

More info would be nice.

Targeting kids would be on par with their bravery, I think.

Most terrorist attacks are made/sponsored by the U.S. or Israel, whether domestic or international. All one would have to do is keep on eye on Mossad/CIA/FBI agents and their whereabouts. The bomb would lead back to one of those criminal agencies...

tidbit of history:

http://www.serendipity.li/cia.html

Your avatar says it all comrade.

So, nothing to say about the contents of the link he gave? Just an aside about his avatar, and a totally unsubtle effort to paint him as a commie? Go on, do your best, refute the message on the serendipity website.

Quick someone get another website that refutes serendipity so we don't have to think and state our own positions in our own words.

Try growing a brain. You don't know history so quit acting like you do. And while you're at it, are you saying you know of a better government, country, culture?

You'd better be from New Zealand or Tuva if you plan on convincing me.

How does one keep a low profile in public places, especially those frequented by foreign tourists - keep low, hide behind pillars? Wouldn't it be better just to avoid them all together?

The American State Department finds it useful, to keep us on edge, and issue these warnings. The last thing in the world they would want would be for us to forget about the terrorist threat. How would they justify the $660,000,000,000US Defense budget. Nor the 820,000 Americans employed in security and intelligence, most of whom are spying on Americans. Why avoid places like Central World, Siam Paragon, Soi Cowboy, and the other delightful spots in Bangkok, where many tourists go. Just how do we maintain a low profile? By staying home? That does not sound like much fun.

I looked for it but missed the standard "remain vigilent.." whatever that means.

Some prankster in Pakistan probably made a call to his cousin in London and said WE BOMB MANY YANK, BANGKOK SOON! Then Echelon picked it up and now 100 surveillance officers in UK/US are really excited about the call. Oh <snip>, this thread is read by THEM! Now they have TWO hits!

Just to be clear here... the U.S. Embassy warning is legitimate...and WAS NOT recalled or made in error...

Apparently, a follow-up recall email was sent to some people by mistake... But it was the recall message that was sent in error... The original warning was valid.

Note: Due to a technical error, some recipients received this message - followed by a recall message - a few minutes later. Please disregard the recall message.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/011312emergencymessage.html

The big state terrorists are obsessed with terrorism. It's their war, why do they have to impinge on other countries so much? They go to other countries, bomb the shit out of them, and then tell their citizens terrorists are out to get them. What a joke.

Regular warnings keeps the fear level going. That's all it is. If terrorists are out to get american citizens, easier to con the american citizens that their government need to fight all these 'wars'. And if the american government don't want citizen terrorists to attack american citizens, then they should stop attacking other countries. Then there'd be no reason to attack americans. Easy enough no?

Blowback anyone?

Of course you have inside information that this could not possibly have anything to do with the southern provinces. Please share.

I don't have any inside info. I"m just stating a fact that america the nation are the biggest terrorists on the block, and correctly referred to them as state terrorists, and furthermore correctly identified why citizens from other nations might want to commit civilian terrorist attacks, because they themselves are the targets of the american nation.

But you're not engaging in any debate at all. Wonder why?

But there is nothing in the warning that states the threats are aimed at Americans. It says Western. What does engaging in a debate mean to you? Throwing anti-US rhetoric about on a thread about a terror warning?

Before a terrorist strikes he does not ask you if you are American or whatever, he just carries out his attack. If the US Embassy is so sure, then other Embassies should be doing the same, however, the Americans seem to get information from reliable and very unreliable sources at times.

The embassy isn't guaranteeing the accuracy of their warning or claiming to be perfect. While I don't worship my government, I trust them enough to have rational processes to determine when warnings like this are reasonable to give.

You might be over trusting JT. I wouldn't trust any government to have rational processes. Political processes, yes.

Sorry, guys. My bad. :(

I had way too much fun on my last visit, and now all my fellow citizens are jealous, apparently. They said I can't go back unless I bring back enough fun for everyone.

I guess I'm the guy who ruined it for the whole class...sorry, guys.

You might be over trusting JT. I wouldn't trust any government to have rational processes. Political processes, yes.

That's your opinion but I find the suggestion that the American government issued this warning without any evidence as a political tactic to be completely ridiculous.

I always thought Nana Plaza would be a prime target for jihadists on a mission from God. Full of sinful girls, booze, infidels (oh yeah, and Arabs). Several pounds of C4 exploded in the middle would create a compression wave that would be devastating, and then there is only one way out. Scary thought.

Three-sided Nana's always been the place that gives me the willies too (and I'm not talking about the ladyboy bars...:-)

• Like 1

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

ok you start smile.png

Sure, American originally from Los Angeles, CA now living in TH.

I always thought Nana Plaza would be a prime target for jihadists on a mission from God. Full of sinful girls, booze, infidels (oh yeah, and Arabs). Several pounds of C4 exploded in the middle would create a compression wave that would be devastating, and then there is only one way out. Scary thought.

Three-sided Nana's always been the place that gives me the willies too (and I'm not talking about the ladyboy bars...:-)

Ha! I was in Nana the night of the 1st Bali bombings and thought about how easy it would be to hurt so many. That horsehoe shape and all of the open doors. Just horrible to even think about.

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

What does my nationality have to do with the state-sponsored terrorism perpetrated by the american government?

I'm not anti-american, you've got a persecution-complex. I"m anti terrorism. Aren't you? I don't care what nationality terrorism is, i just call it when i see it. American government continuously commits terrorist actions, then gives a warning to its citizens in bangkok.

Hmm, you're not anti-american and I've got a persecution complex. Would you be prepared to back up your claims with some facts about the American governments continuous terrorist actions?

It is hardly surprising the yanks are targets (if it isn't just another BS alarm), pi^sing on dead Muslims ain't going to endear you to folks. It is about time the rest of the world put some distance between them and us, as they have a stockpile of bombs now ready to drop on someone. Who will be next? SE Asia hasn't been blessed for while.

It referred to foreign tourists, not Americans. Just because a few rogue Marines step out of line doesn't make 300 million people wrong. Last time I checked, "War Is Hell". You think you can do better? Or do you really think you have some kind of deeper understanding of foreign policy and world history?

Besides, you have no choice in the matter, you are from a Western country. The fate of all Westerners is tied together regardless of how much you think you can put distance between your cultural, financial and religious allies.

Also, are you saying human nature is not fundamentally flawed? That only we are bad and you are good, righteous and right?

Try adding something constructive to Thaivisa instead of polluting it with racist garbage and sub-par logic.

• Like 1