US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

The Americans looking after themselves as usual! What's that saying again......"When the going gets tough, screw you"..

I would say that the countries whose embassies are not issuing a warning are the one's saying screw you. You think the American embassy is supposed to send an email to every foreigner in Thailand? They have made a public announcement. I take it you are not an American but you are aware of the warning , so what is your problem?

Before a terrorist strikes he does not ask you if you are American or whatever, he just carries out his attack. If the US Embassy is so sure, then other Embassies should be doing the same, however, the Americans seem to get information from reliable and very unreliable sources at times.

The embassy isn't guaranteeing the accuracy of their warning or claiming to be perfect. While I don't worship my government, I trust them enough to have rational processes to determine when warnings like this are reasonable to give.

You might be over trusting JT. I wouldn't trust any government to have rational processes. Political processes, yes.

That's your opinion but I find the suggestion that the American government issued this warning without any evidence as a political tactic to be completely ridiculous.

I'm not sure whose suggestion that was..not mine.

I do however though stand by my opinion that governments often do not make rational decisions. In fact many are politically driven.

Are you also suggesting that the american government, or any western government, always issues advice and warnings with irrefutable evidence? Or even evidence in the balance of favour of a certain event?

probably a precaution to the incident here http://westminsterjo...-sparks-outrage

I think when they say imminent then they should give more details, otherwise it's fear mongering, or they have become paranoid now. a false flag could also be brewing ...

"They" did not say "imminent". Whoever started this thread did.

They did not use that word, but did say terrorists are CURRENTLY looking to conduct terrorist activities. I.E. Imminent...or soon.

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

Good embassy service?

Not really, it's the Americans who are the world's bad guys.

Exactly. America tends to upset more people. Also sex tourists and sex workers could upset certain people. I was in Bali 3 weeks before the bombing. I visited Paddy's Sari, and Bounty and had a premonition about it. BKK's 3 main naughty areas could be a target.

Not really, it's the Americans who are the world's bad guys.

Haha, they are the world's police, sometimes they must be tough on criminals and crazies. They can be seen to be bullying, but without the police the world would be back to the Dark Ages,

enjoy your free speech , many US and British empire men have died for it

Edited by parmo1
  • Like 2

Last time I ignored a warning from an embassy regarding that sort of matter, I ended up in a city which was bombed 30 minutes later. A week later, the very hotel I was staying at got bombed.

Guess I'm gonna to stay home for a while.

or go to a Thai club/pub away from Sukumvit/Silom/RCA? That's what I will be doing

• Like 1

Off topic posts deleted - Keep it on topic or posts will be deleted with no warning

For those who wonder why only Americans received the warning, State Department emails are only sent to those people who register with the Embassy.

• Like 1

I was @ the American Consulate yesterday--They said nothing about the 'warning' to me-so I don't take this so strong a warning. You anti-American 'Dudes' just sit/stay in your chairs/drink Singha/Chang-whatever. Or just "BREAK'.

They dont 'mention in passing' future warnings with random american citizens who come to the US embassay- they make a decision to release a warning, then inform everyone through mass comms means, no early wanring is given to you if you happen to be sitting in the consulate waiting for a new passport!

You have to admit at least the American Embassy does try to at least assist its citizens, which is more than can be said for the worthless cretins from the British Embassy, who are at best PATHETIC.

Imagine having to send your passport renewal to China (Hong Kong) when there is a British Embassy in Bangkok. Why are they even here? Couldn't the British taxpayer save a few quid by simply sending them all home - and leave us all with an e mail address for contact? That is what it ammounts to anyway as far as assistance from those fools in Bangkok goes.

• Like 1

According to the defence minister it's apparently two terrorists that have entered Thailand and they know who they are and they are likely to be arrested soon..

Edit: Was defence minister, not the polic or police.. :/

Edited by remiss

I always thought Nana Plaza would be a prime target for jihadists on a mission from God. Full of sinful girls, booze, infidels (oh yeah, and Arabs). Several pounds of C4 exploded in the middle would create a compression wave that would be devastating, and then there is only one way out. Scary thought.

Three-sided Nana's always been the place that gives me the willies too (and I'm not talking about the ladyboy bars...:-)

Ha! I was in Nana the night of the 1st Bali bombings and thought about how easy it would be to hurt so many. That horsehoe shape and all of the open doors. Just horrible to even think about.

not just nana- soi cowboy, patpong, khao san road- such easy targets

I have been waiting for this to happen to be honest (not in the sense I want it to of course), but it has been on the cards for a while IMO. The muslim brotherhood, the extremist sect of it anyway has been very upfront about their ideologies and motives. It only takes a bit of research and to watch some articles on BBC world news to know that. They have had their eyes on SE Asia as targets now for a while and it is only a matter of time.

Thailand is one of, if not the biggest location in south east Asia for western tourists and it would be far easier to attack here in SE Asia than it would in the west due to security etc. They have hit many capital cities and places around the world, so to think you are safe in a place such as Bangkok is pretty ignorant. For those who suggest that it is a bit suspicious that only the US government releasing this info I am not surprised as there are always people who like to attach to conspiracy theories and what not.

Lets hope that things do not go too sour and we have a blood bath on our hands like Mumbai.

• Like 2

All this talk about which areas of BKK would be good targets. Smart. Help the crazies focus on the "best" places. Yeah, keep adding to their "intelligence" or confirming it for them. clap2.gif

"They" can use Google too. wink.png

• Like 1

probably a precaution to the incident here http://westminsterjo...-sparks-outrage

I think when they say imminent then they should give more details, otherwise it's fear mongering, or they have become paranoid now. a false flag could also be brewing ...

"They" did not say "imminent". Whoever started this thread did.

They did not use that word, but did say terrorists are CURRENTLY looking to conduct terrorist activities. I.E. Imminent...or soon.

They said "MAY BE currently looking". Not "are". I don't know maybe it's just me, but imminent sounds worse.

when people are urged to be alert and to watch out doesn't mean to do this tomorrow. It's imminent ...

Anyway, paranoia over the incidence in Afghanistan seem to be the cause of the alert.

Iran too have their people probably get into gear.

And again, when you follow up closely American internal politics a false flag attack attempt can't be excluded and must be considered if anything happens.

All this talk about which areas of BKK would be good targets. Smart. Help the crazies focus on the "best" places. Yeah, keep adding to their "intelligence" or confirming it for them. clap2.gif

"They" can use Google too. wink.png

Do you seriously believe that potential inernational terrorists would not know where to hit westerners in BKK without this board? Are you joking?

• Like 2

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

Back before Terriorists were used to scare people into submission only 70 people per year died through "terriorist" vilolence. Even these days the only people dying through Terrorism are those invading and occupying their countries.

Terriorists treats are used to manipulate your thinking in so many ways. And it's working. The number of rights and freedoms you have given up over the last 10 years is amazing. The trillions of dollars lost to your ecomony through this false threat. And you are still listening to your government about terriorist threats. It's just designed to hold you in fear. Do you walk around in fear of Mosquitos? Statistics say you should be 1000x more scared of mosquitos than "terrorists". If you want to avoid all treats just dig a hole and bury yourself.

• Like 2

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok?

You're joking, right?

Soft Targets. Bali. Mumbai. Google is your friend ...

If the target was that soft (and valuable) surely we would've been hit multiple times here already -- is my thinking. Why now?

These attacks aren't about high value targets. It's terrorism. A psychological tactic.

Why now? Ask the terrorists.

Hopefully if they have this intelligence there is a chance they can be stopped. In any case, I think a good idea to avoid crowded areas with lots of westerners when you can.

Good answer Jingthing! The terrorist's biggest weapon is fear. 2 ounces of semtex detonated in a shopping arcade would have the same psychological impact as an IED of 200 lbs set off in the same place. Only difference would be the body count; the fear factor would be the same.

Second weapon is the media, used to spread the fear.

• Like 1

The big state terrorists are obsessed with terrorism. It's their war, why do they have to impinge on other countries so much? They go to other countries, bomb the shit out of them, and then tell their citizens terrorists are out to get them. What a joke.

Regular warnings keeps the fear level going. That's all it is. If terrorists are out to get american citizens, easier to con the american citizens that their government need to fight all these 'wars'. And if the american government don't want citizen terrorists to attack american citizens, then they should stop attacking other countries. Then there'd be no reason to attack americans. Easy enough no?

Blowback anyone?

Right on the money dude! Thanx.

• Like 1

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

Back before Terriorists were used to scare people into submission only 70 people per year died through "terriorist" vilolence. Even these days the only people dying through Terrorism are those invading and occupying their countries.

Terriorists treats are used to manipulate your thinking in so many ways. And it's working. The number of rights and freedoms you have given up over the last 10 years is amazing. The trillions of dollars lost to your ecomony through this false threat. And you are still listening to your government about terriorist threats. It's just designed to hold you in fear. Do you walk around in fear of Mosquitos? Statistics say you should be 1000x more scared of mosquitos than "terrorists". If you want to avoid all treats just dig a hole and bury yourself.

Agreed but up to a point. The chances of getting killed by a terrorist are much closer to zero than they are to 1%. However, when you have specific info about a place where we all live---and then even more specific about where many on this board may party this weekend it becomes a little more serious.