US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the BBC website, this is what the Thai defence minister said:

"I believe we will arrest them tonight. For Thai citizens, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

Just typical bone-headedness. In any case, how will announcing it for Thai citizens affect tourism?

• Like 1

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

Remember Bali? The thing is besides a nightclub I can't think of anywhere that would not have the locals out-numbering tourists 10-1.

I can but for obvious reasons won't list them.

Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy obviously spring to mind. At least 50% falangs there and 50% "expendable" Thais.

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

The Americans looking after themselves as usual! What's that saying again......"When the going gets tough, screw you"..

Somehow it is the USA fault because YOUR embassy doesn't attempt to warn you? Bangkok/Thailand must be an exceedingly soft target if this is where you go to kill Americans; like how may come to Thailand anyway ? Very few, Try the eifel tower or Rome or Big Ben if you want alot of Americans. There isn't many gatherings of Americans in Thailand.

All the people in the U.S believe the government's propaganda

that anyone outside the U.S. is a dangerous terrorist!

It's a generality, of course, but I've found that statements laden with such words as "all", "always", "never", "anyone" and such are not to be taken seriously. In this case I can state as a fact that the quoted statement is total manure. (But you knew that already, didn't you?)

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

OK, I'm a Dutch citizen and I'm sick of the US N**zi government. There it is ...

You mean the country that liberated (along with the Brits) your country from ACTUAL Nazis?

Strange how some forget eh.

• Like 1

you guys amaze me that you can create so many posts of speculation and basically crap

The warning is what it is - nothing more nothing less, you can type here till you're fingers wear out guessing details that are not in the news reel- it remains the same, they have obviously picked up on some terrorist activity that warrants a warning to western people in Thailand, holiday locations have been easy targets for these cowards for years so be vigilant.

Someones Embassy actually does its job and you clowns slag it off. If you donot believe it donot heed it.

A friends brother walked into a bar on Bali, the front was too crowded. him and his mate head for the back. Wham the bomb goes off they kick down the door and over a wall. Lucky for them they went to the back not so lucky for the Aussies in front.

According to the BBC website, this is what the Thai defence minister said:

"I believe we will arrest them tonight. For Thai citizens, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

Just typical bone-headedness. In any case, how will announcing it for Thai citizens affect tourism?

When Thai authorities announced possible bombing threats at public places 4 of the last 5 New Year's holidays, did it cause a public panic? Seems like the public parties carried on as normal. They're just trying to cover their own loss of face for not warning their citizens before a foreign embassy put out the alert.

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

For political reasons, statements are often intentionally vague. Have you thought that it could be that trouble from the south is about to spill into BKK and that it could violate Thai sovereignty, or at least goodwill, to forecast internal unrest without focusing the warning on American citizens? Could it be that Thailand has asked the USA to deliver this warning as though American citizens might be targets in order to do the least damage possible to high season tourism arrivals while putting everybody on alert? Think about it. Terrorists don't know nationalities in public areas. The fact that tourist areas are on alert means the targets are indiscriminate. The warning will be heeded by all, unifies American citizens against an outside threat, saves Thailand the onus of responsibility for an agression perceived to be against Americans, and minimizes tourism cancellations due to a manufactured perception.

you guys amaze me that you can create so many posts of speculation and basically crap

The warning is what it is - nothing more nothing less, you can type here till you're fingers wear out guessing details that are not in the news reel- it remains the same, they have obviously picked up on some terrorist activity that warrants a warning to western people in Thailand, holiday locations have been easy targets for these cowards for years so be vigilant.

There's that word vigilent again. Please assist us all and explain what that means in the current context.

"I am reading all these posts while trying to remain vigilent".

US warns of terrorist threat in Bangkok

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The United States warned Friday of a terrorist threat against foreign tourists in Thailand, which said it was tracking two suspects who had entered the kingdom.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," the US embassy in Bangkok said in an emergency message posted on its website.

"US citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok."

US Ambassador Kristie Kenney wrote on the Twitter social media website that the threat was "credible" and specific to Bangkok.

The Thai government said that it had been informed by the United States that a pair of suspected Muslim "terrorists" had arrived in the kingdom.

"The US contacted us last night about two terrorists who entered Thailand and plan terrorist activities," Thai Defence Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapha told AFP.

"Our intelligence officials are working closely with the US and following the terrorists' movements closely. I believe we will arrest them tonight.

"For Thai citizens, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

Thailand's tourist-friendly image was badly dented last year by devastating flooding across much of the country, as well as rounds of rival political protests in recent years.

In 2008 a nine-day blockade by "Yellow Shirt" protesters stranded tens of thousands of travellers, and the industry was badly hit again in 2010 during "Red Shirt" street demonstrations.

Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during an army crackdown on the rallies, and more than 90 people were left dead.

An eight-year-old shadowy insurgency continues to plague the country's Muslim-majority deep south, but the rebels have never been known to attack outside of the region.

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but rather are rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic Malay Muslims by governments in the Buddhist-majority country.

In the most prominent terrorist attack in Southeast Asia in recent history, 202 people -- most of them foreign tourists -- were killed in 2002 by bombings on the Indonesian island of Bali.

In August 2003, alleged mastermind Riduan Isamuddin, an Indonesian known as Hambali, was arrested in Thailand.

He was suspected of being Al-Qaeda's representative in Southeast Asia and operational chief of Southeast Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiyah.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-13

• Like 1

Some people and their posts really do make me laugh. Mental masturbation, one warning from an embassy and ludicrous conspiracy theories have already sprung up like wild fire. It is now easy to see how such theories start.

Like some people have already suggested, take it for what it is, an embassy has given a warning that is pretty serious if you ask me and a warning that claims an attack is imminent. Thailand is far from invincible, like I stated in my original post I am surprised it has not been targeted before. Maybe it has but the plot had been foiled before it had gotten too serious to issue a warning. Terrorism is very real and the warnings should be taken as something real as well.

Likewise, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. The bag inspections at MRT and Paragon have turned into a joke. They'll check one pocket out of five on a backpack or carry bag, not even the largest cavity. The airport fiasco of a couple days ago, shows how someone parading as a big-wig could totally confound the security apparatus. Things have been lax here, and I'm afraid it's because, north of the three troubled provinces, we've just been lucky.

US Embassy in Bangkok warns of possible terrorist attack

The US Embassy in Bangkok on Friday issued an urgent alert for its citizens in Thailand of possible terrorist attack.

Red Shirts?

I was going to say that but I was afraid my post would be deleted.

Huh? You don't get your post deleted just because it is silly. That's silly.

You and SRJ should know better anyway.

Some people have mentioned Nana Plaza and patpong, soi cowboy, etc as being possible targets........probably even Khao San road.

Obvious places perhaps, but I live on an island down south which attracts upwards of 10K westerners every month for a big party; although a fraction are only yanks such as myself, some type of action here would create the desired effect for any terrorist group wanting to hit a 'soft' western target and making big news.

I also first thought of the soldiers urinating on the Taliban deceased when I first saw this notice, that will surely only make us even more hated in the world uggghhhhh.

BTW: Not any sort of a 'troll'; even though this is only my 2nd post I have lived in Thailand for the past 10 high seasons and I read the Thai Visa updates daily. More of a lurker I suppose.

There's that word vigilent again. Please assist us all and explain what that means in the current context.

"I am reading all these posts while trying to remain vigilent".

Only 5 Changs at Soi Cowboy instead of the usual 20?

Not really, it's the Americans who are the world's bad guys.

Haha, they are the world's police, sometimes they must be tough on criminals and crazies. They can be seen to be bullying, but without the police the world would be back to the Dark Ages,

enjoy your free speech , many US and British empire men have died for it

The whole world must not forget what these men died for.

Thanks for the post

ASTV: PM acknowledges that terrorist threat has been known for quite sometime already, intelligence agencies and police are pursuing matter

Indeed, the latest CNN news squirt mentioned that security at Suvarnabhumi airport, particularly on US-bound carriers, has been more rigorous this past week. This tightening was initiated by the Thai authorities themselves. Maybe the US is catching up on the local intel.

Edited by NanLaew

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

<snip> American government continuously commits terrorist actions, then gives a warning to its citizens in bangkok.

1) Are you saying that the American government has continuously been giving warnings to its citizens in bangkok?

2) One can't help but note that you STILL haven't divulged your nationality. I guess you don't have very much respect for the intelligence of TV members.

U.S. warns citizens of terrorist threat in Bangkok

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- The United States on Friday warned its citizens in Thailand of the possibility of imminent terrorist attacks in busy tourist areas of Bangkok.

"U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok," a statement on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok said.

Source: http://us.cnn.com/2012/01/13/world/asia/thailand-terrorist-threat/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

-- us.cnn.com 2012-01-13

footer_n.gif

Just saw this in the Bloomberg story on the warning.

Thai government spokesman Thitima Chaisang had no immediate comment when reached by phone. Police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri and Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd didn’t answer calls to their mobile phones. [Editorial note: yes, but it's Friday afternoon!]

The threat is “generic” and likely related to U.S. moves to sanction Iran over its nuclear weapons program, according to Anthony Davis, a Bangkok-based analyst at IHS Jane’s.

The U.S. is “looking at pro-Iranian groups that might possibly react to what may very well go down in the Straits of Hormuz and possibly beyond,” Davis said. “It seems unlikely that terrorist attacks would be launched before the situation in the Middle East has escalated significantly.”

http://www.bloomberg...rist-areas.html

Hmmm.... Intersting. I guess pro-Iranian terrorist group is different from Iran itself. But Iran has good relations with Thailand. I doubt they would be happy with a terrorist attack here.

On a side note, some people mentioned Mumbai and Bali but those were domestic terrorists, not foreign, and they had a domestic agenda. That's not the same as this.

On an additional sidenote, both my Fireforx and IE froze as soon as I opened the US Embassy link. Coincidence or no?

The Bali bombings were carried out by Mainland Moslem Indonesians on a Hindu island. The Mumbai terrorists were Moslem Pakistanis attacking a predominantly Hindu country.

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

Good embassy service?

Not really, it's the Americans who are the world's bad guys.

Glad they were the bad guys in 1941. Cos l am here. jap.gif

+1

U.S. warns citizens of terrorist threat in Bangkok

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- The United States on Friday warned its citizens in Thailand of the possibility of imminent terrorist attacks in busy tourist areas of Bangkok.

"U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok," a statement on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok said.

Source: http://us.cnn.com/20....html?hpt=hp_t3

-- us.cnn.com 2012-01-13

footer_n.gif

"possibility of imminent attacks"

gotta love CNN.. always clear and to the point.

there is a possibility that I will definitely heed this warning

Edited by Jayman

All the people in the U.S believe the government's propaganda

that anyone outside the U.S. is a dangerous terrorist!

It's a generality, of course, but I've found that statements laden with such words as "all", "always", "never", "anyone" and such are not to be taken seriously. In this case I can state as a fact that the quoted statement is total manure. (But you knew that already, didn't you?)

Statements that have been laden as such are now inoperative.