US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

<snip> American government continuously commits terrorist actions, then gives a warning to its citizens in bangkok.

1) Are you saying that the American government has continuously been giving warnings to its citizens in bangkok?

2) One can't help but note that you STILL haven't divulged your nationality. I guess you don't have very much respect for the intelligence of TV members.

If you register with the US embassy in Bangkok, you can, if desired, get email alerts. These alerts cover all sorts of activities, including the 4th of July party! And warning of the upcoming Songkran festival.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is worrying to hear that Bangkok is threatened in this way. What have the Americans done now? For sure they must have done something bad to people to want to hurt to them. But I wish they would not choose Bangkok - the Bangkokians have not done anything to these people for sure.

"vigilent"

well having been born and raised in a country that has seen it's unfair share of terrorist attacks for over 30 years against it's population, I do understand what that word means......................I'd be pretty sure when you are boarding an aircraft or indeed on that aircraft you would be more "vigilent" these days than say 15 years ago

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

I agree totally. dont forget about the warning about weapons of mass destruction. that turned out to be true also. wont be long now before the uk embassy jumps on board. jerk.gif

Edited by thequietman

If you read the Australian Govt travel website you would never go anywhere. It is the politics of fear. We are your govt and we will protect you. Idealogy doesn,t work any more so they sell us protection. If they have heard even a whisper and don,t warn us then in our litigatious society they would be liable for huge compensation payouts. My opinion!

US Embassy in Bangkok warns of possible terrorist attack

The US Embassy in Bangkok on Friday issued an urgent alert for its citizens in Thailand of possible terrorist attack.

Red Shirts?

I was going to say that but I was afraid my post would be deleted.

Huh? You don't get your post deleted just because it is silly. That's silly.

You and SRJ should know better anyway.

Lighten up NL. It was only a jest.

you guys amaze me that you can create so many posts of speculation and basically crap

The warning is what it is - nothing more nothing less, you can type here till you're fingers wear out guessing details that are not in the news reel- it remains the same, they have obviously picked up on some terrorist activity that warrants a warning to western people in Thailand, holiday locations have been easy targets for these cowards for years so be vigilant.

There's that word vigilent again. Please assist us all and explain what that means in the current context.

"I am reading all these posts while trying to remain vigilent".

Only 5 Changs at Soi Cowboy instead of the usual 20?

Cowboys not open yet mate ;) but seriously, am I supposed to worry more when people quote catchy words once spouted from dubbya's pr machine.

Be vigilent, keep a low profile in public, jason lives... Ok we get it, serious enough to get the boys to issue, recall, retract, re-issue the warning but save big words for people who know how to keep an audience_charlie sheen, wolfy blitzgreig, that pommie who replaced larry king.

you guys amaze me that you can create so many posts of speculation and basically crap

The warning is what it is - nothing more nothing less, you can type here till you're fingers wear out guessing details that are not in the news reel- it remains the same, they have obviously picked up on some terrorist activity that warrants a warning to western people in Thailand, holiday locations have been easy targets for these cowards for years so be vigilant.

There's that word vigilent again. Please assist us all and explain what that means in the current context.

"I am reading all these posts while trying to remain vigilent".

The warnings must/should actually apply to all nations then. Why Thailand only? Easy to manipulate? - it's NOT.

Being vigilant at all times and everywhere is a must. Sometimes it's good to go astray and see what the non-MSM has found.

But I'm glad to see more folks are realizing that the federal banks (12 of them) are as federal as the federal express. - One thing a MSM would have never dared to bring to light.

Again please, check the laws that have been changed recently and then ask yourself why.

I'm all with the good Americans and not a basher. Just putting things a bit more into perspective, because I AM ALERT at all times and do not fall for fear mongering.

Embassies don't put out these warnings without good reason. I think we should take note and act accordingly.

I agree totally. dont forget about the warning about weapons of mass destruction. that turned out to be true also, wont be long now before the uk embassy jumps on board. jerk.gif

And yet: Js@js100radio says Chalerm is about to make a statement on arrest of 2 Lebanese Hizbollah members.

Care to issue a a retraction? post-4641-1156694606.gif

Personally, one thing I've thought about for a long time is the "insurgents" down south haven't taken their show on the road and headed north to BKK. More targets, bigger selection, and have more of a social impact than what they are doing now. With the continuous and ongoing lack of progress against them by the Thai security forces, I doubt they would have very many problems doing that.

And can anyone logically explain why these people are called "insurgents" and not "terrorists"?

• Like 1

US warns of terrorist threat in Bangkok

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The United States warned Friday of a terrorist threat against foreign tourists in Thailand, which said it was tracking two suspects who had entered the kingdom.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," the US embassy in Bangkok said in an emergency message posted on its website.

"US citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok."

US Ambassador Kristie Kenney wrote on the Twitter social media website that the threat was "credible" and specific to Bangkok.

The Thai government said that it had been informed by the United States that a pair of suspected Muslim "terrorists" had arrived in the kingdom.

"The US contacted us last night about two terrorists who entered Thailand and plan terrorist activities," Thai Defence Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapha told AFP.

"Our intelligence officials are working closely with the US and following the terrorists' movements closely. I believe we will arrest them tonight.

"For Thai citizens, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

Thailand's tourist-friendly image was badly dented last year by devastating flooding across much of the country, as well as rounds of rival political protests in recent years.

In 2008 a nine-day blockade by "Yellow Shirt" protesters stranded tens of thousands of travellers, and the industry was badly hit again in 2010 during "Red Shirt" street demonstrations.

Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during an army crackdown on the rallies, and more than 90 people were left dead.

An eight-year-old shadowy insurgency continues to plague the country's Muslim-majority deep south, but the rebels have never been known to attack outside of the region.

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but rather are rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic Malay Muslims by governments in the Buddhist-majority country.

In the most prominent terrorist attack in Southeast Asia in recent history, 202 people -- most of them foreign tourists -- were killed in 2002 by bombings on the Indonesian island of Bali.

In August 2003, alleged mastermind Riduan Isamuddin, an Indonesian known as Hambali, was arrested in Thailand.

He was suspected of being Al-Qaeda's representative in Southeast Asia and operational chief of Southeast Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiyah.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-13

Strange, they're able to track them but are unable to know or say where they are now? It just doesn't add to logic. Maybe a drone wants to be tested in Thailand?

Skytrain is an obvious target, more so than MRT. Not because the subway has its laughable half-a-glance-inside-one-pocket of your bag-checking system, but because a big fat explosion at Siam Square or anywhere else will shower down on to the roads below and affect the commercial district around it (imagine all that Paragon glass shattering...). More "bang for your baht", as a former poster on TV used to say.

Last week I had my bag checked going into MBK. I pointed out that if I'd entered through the coffee shop next door, or the bank, Macdonald's or half a dozen other shops that all have doors on the outside and exits into the mall, I could avoid the security check entirely. Only a fool would walk through the main door. So what, actually, is the point of the security check and the big metal-detector thing?

Response? Krap Pom! a nod and a nice smile. :)

Does this capture mean the warning is off?

I guess it's wait and see.

My guess is yes, the warning is off, because if there were more of these vermin abroad the authorities would have kept this arrest quiet. Although it is Thai intelligence acting in concert with the CIA so any bungling cannot be ruled out. clap2.gif I'm a Yank by the way and I am kidding, so don't crucify me.

Personally, one thing I've thought about for a long time is the "insurgents" down south haven't taken their show on the road and headed north to BKK. More targets, bigger selection, and have more of a social impact than what they are doing now. With the continuous and ongoing lack of progress against them by the Thai security forces, I doubt they would have very many problems doing that.

Yup, being saying and thinking the same thing since 2004.

Edited by badmedicine

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

Good embassy service?

"Good embassy service"? No. Simply a miserable indifference to all others, including so-called allies, that is those who the US drag into conflicts born out of US policies. The Aussie embassy would on the hotline to all others were they to receive a credible warning.

Edited by TechnikaIII

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok?

You're joking, right?

Soft Targets. Bali. Mumbai. Google is your friend ...

If the target was that soft (and valuable) surely we would've been hit multiple times here already -- is my thinking. Why now?

These muslim radicals don't make sense at any time. Friday the 13th wouldn't be in their thinking. Targeting western children on Children's Day could be. London, Bali, Spain, even New York were all soft targets, innocent law abiding citizens are the terrorists bread & butter. Best everyone be extra careful & vigilant.

There are 6000 US sailors in Pattaya. They'll flush the terrorists out of their holes if they can organize their work permits in time.

This is just the sort of action that makes so many people hate Americans. Thais do not wish to get involved in your ugly wars and please do not ask us to get involved.

And can anyone logically explain why these people are called "insurgents" and not "terrorists"?

No way the Thai government is going to call them "terrorists". Just think what it would do to tourism, the first priority.

It is worrying to hear that Bangkok is threatened in this way. What have the Americans done now? For sure they must have done something bad to people to want to hurt to them. But I wish they would not choose Bangkok - the Bangkokians have not done anything to these people for sure.

Hadn't you heard? They are rude, arrogant, uneducated, and only 30% of them have passports. They simply are not at good as Europeans, and this State department warning is yet more proof of that.

Actually, that would only be 18%

Americans don't really need passports.

Cuba -- Miami

Outer Space -- Salt Lake City

Vietnam -- San Jose

Mexico -- East LA

Israel -- Brooklyn

Sweden -- Minnesota

Poland -- Chicago

Generic Europe -- San Francisco

China -- also San Francisco

Gay Utopia -- also San Francisco

Burrito Utopia -- also San Francisco

French Canada -- Lousiana

Ethiopia -- Washington D.C.

etc., etc. ...

Edited by Jingthing

This copied from the MSN News Website explains a little more:

The Thai government said that it had been informed by the United States that a pair of suspected Muslim "terrorists" had entered the kingdom.

"The US contacted us last night about two terrorists who entered Thailand and plan terrorist activities," Thai Defence Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapha told AFP.

"Our intelligence officials are working closely with the US and following the terrorists' movements closely. I believe we will arrest them tonight," he added.

"For Thai citizen, there is no need to announce any warning because it will cause panic and will affect our tourism."

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

Good embassy service?

"Good embassy service"? No. Simply a miserable indifference to all others, including so-called allies, that is those who the US drag into conflicts born out of US policies. The Aussie embassy would on the hotline to all others were they to receive a credible warning.

So is the way that you have it figured out that when the Americans issue a warning like this they do not tell other embassies about it? Why assume that?

• Like 1