Chalerm Denies Threat Of Terror: Thailand

webfact

PM Yingluck brushes aside worries over terror attack plan in Thailand

When asked if the suspects have really been apprehended and about their affiliation to foreign terrorist groups, the PM confirmed that the suspects have been under police custody. While declining to disclose further, the Premier promised to share important information with the public, once available.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-14 footer_n.gif

Today, we're back to "suspects" in custody. It would be nice if Chalerm and Yingluck would at least get their stories in sync with each other. I still doubt anyone is actually in custody. There are sketches available to the public, but I have yet to see a single arrest photo, a photo opp. with Chalerm pointing his finger at a suspect or anything to indicate they have actually done anything but deny a problem exists.

I think I agree with you and your doubts if anyone is in custody. Normally when they arrest anyone it is done with the media in tow and they are parade thier catch with 1/2 the police force standing behind him giggling and smiling. All they have at the moment is a hand drawn sketch on a piece of paper they bought thier pad thai in.

the problem with arresting and parading terror suspects is there may be nothing to parade them for....................suspected, if they had evidence like some activities or found them with bomb making equipment etc etc then they are no longer suspects, I think this arrest announcement is the government "knee JERK" response to the US statement in an attempt to play it down

something ain't right here

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. The PM has also instructed Deputy Prime Minister, Police Captain Chalerm Yubumrung, and National Police Chief, Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong, to follow up on the issue and report back within 24 hours.

tbh this whole thing sounds like intergovernemental warnings where being ignored and the US decided to step things up by making the public aware, the above statement looks to me like the PM's response

In my opinion there is a lot more going on here behind the scenes and I would not take any of this lightly

I agree. The Thai Foreign Ministry said they had known about this for some time. Chalerm said they were notified a couple of days ago. Yingluck doesn't know anythng as usual. These people ignore or play down anything that might affect tourism. In this case they probably were ignoring it until something happened or their hand was forced.

Edited by pimay11

I am sure of one thing only regarding this under no circumstance would I ever believe one word uttered by any elected member of this government or any previous government and any future government. If the USA embassy says there is a threat then thats the way it is.

Chalerm: "I want to assure people that there is nothing to worry about. The police will take care of the situation and everything will be under control."

The Terrorists: "NOOO! Not the B-I-B!!! They will shake me down for everything I've got! Anything else... please... I beg of you! Deport me. Send me back to whatever terrible place I may have come from that terrorism is my only saving grace. Put me in jail. Make me eat infected worms. Just not the shakewdown I'll face at the hands of the police here!"

The PM has also instructed Deputy Prime Minister, Police Captain Chalerm Yubumrung, and National Police Chief, Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong, to follow up on the issue and report back within 24 hours.

Seriously? 24 hours?! You've got your top guys on "the issue", and they'll take 24 hours to "report back"... wow! Now that is Amazing Thailand!

Let's see now...

Do we have enough som tam at Chatuchak? Check!

Are there enough fake Fendi bags on Sukhumvit. We need a lot so the vendors can rip off enough tourists to then be able to both make a living and feed the BIB? Check!

Are the dancing girls able to get through Bangkok traffic on the reckless moto-cys to their jobs in Patpong on time? Check!

have we located a baby elephant to parade through town, blocking traffic, dropping massive dung piles, and collecting handouts from amazed tourists? Check!

"OK, Madame Prime Minister... the plan is in place! Bangkok is prepared!!!"

• Like 1

So the gist of it is Chalerm saying "we deny there's a threat of a terrorist plot and what's more we have arrested the terrorist that was planning the plot"

Hmmm... OK blink.png

I'll bet of the truth was known Kristie Kenney and the people at the embassy are basically saying the same thing about these clowns.

Edited by pimay11

'Nothing to worry about'

Chalerm told AFP by telephone that the detained suspect was being questioned by Thai authorities.

"We already have one suspect in custody for interrogation at a government building in Bangkok. He is a Hezbollah from Lebanon," he said.

"I want to assure people that there is nothing to worry about. The police will take care of the situation and everything will be under control."

I am very relaxed now, since the extremely credible Mr. Chalerm told us we should not worry. When someone utters the statement "The police will take care of the situation and everything will be under control", here in Thailand, there is good reason not to be less worried. The police are some of the least competent on planet Earth. Why should we be less worried. Chalerm is an absolute goombah. He knows nothing about anything. He is super incompetent. He never should have been appointed to the any post, much less the post of vice PM. In any other country except perhaps Surinam, he would never have gotten any further than managing a 7/11.

now is the time to worry, when so called expert are telling you evrything is under control. take cover and good luck!

I wasn't worried until I read this.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra also said the situation was under control, and that the alert was nothing unusual."

• Like 1

National Police Chief: Police step up security at high-risk locations: embassies, Khao San road, Sukhumvit soi 22 /MCOT

What a waste of time, manpower and tax money. Our man Chalerm has already assured the world "there is nothing to worry about".

Sounds hokey to me, no evidence of any threat, just militant ties. People I knew back in the states terrified me a lot more than the prospect of terrorist threats in Thailand, and they are probably still killing the occasional bloke or woman or kid who turns them down. I don't want to run into any bombs, though, so keep up the good work, US of A, but I'll continue to place my trust in Jesus, thank you.

i dare say...

boy am i glad to be a civilian.(in Thailand)and not a detective as he "supervises" the country.

Before any investigation is concluded its blown out of proportions or blown up(or both)

"A senior Thai intelligence officer, who did not want to be named, told news agency AFP that the Kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat. The suspect was detained on Thursday while the other man had already fled the country, he said.

'Nothing to worry about' "

For some reason that comment DOES make me worried.

OMG this man knows ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Surely he should be running the government

Personally, I think Thai Security Forces (ok, I know that's an oxymoron, but...) should be more worried about the "insurgents" down south taking their show on the road and heading north. The Security Forces in the south are totally powerless and ineffective against them, so they'd have even better luck and success in BKK with their bombs and killings, thereby bringing even greated attention to themselves.

And can anyone give me a RATIONAL explaination as to why others who kill and bomb authorities and innocents are called Terrorists, but here in Thailand they're only called "insurgents"? A rose by any other name is STILL a rose.

Personally, I think Thai Security Forces (ok, I know that's an oxymoron, but...) should be more worried about the "insurgents" down south taking their show on the road and heading north. The Security Forces in the south are totally powerless and ineffective against them, so they'd have even better luck and success in BKK with their bombs and killings, thereby bringing even greated attention to themselves.

And can anyone give me a RATIONAL explaination as to why others who kill and bomb authorities and innocents are called Terrorists, but here in Thailand they're only called "insurgents"? A rose by any other name is STILL a rose.

The RATIONAL explaination is that it they were called terrorist as they truely are this would negativly affect tourism. It will never happen.

If Mossad thinks there is cause for alarm I'll listen intently but after the US pronouncements on Saddam Hussein possessing WMD proved groundless a degree of scepticism arises about the US Embassy input.

If the guy who apparently left the country evaded arrest it was probably because he had the good sense to steer clear of King Power.

"A senior Thai intelligence officer, who did not want to be named, told news agency AFP that the Kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat. The suspect was detained on Thursday while the other man had already fled the country, he said.

Yes nothing to worry about, go about your business, we have taken all steps to prevent flooding, sorry I mean terrorism in Thailand. No bad people in Thailand move along.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra also said the situation was under control, and that the alert was nothing unusual".

If it's nothing unusual then that infers that it happens often - what planet is this woman on!!!!! She seems to brush everything aside with casual alacrity.

If someone said to her that "a nuclear armed missile was on it's way to Thailand" I suppose she would say something along the lines of "don't worry it might miss us or not go off!!!! Heavens forbid if Thailand were to have a major earthquake in Bangkok!!!!!huh.png.