Chalerm Denies Threat Of Terror: Thailand

webfact

Police chief says detained Lebanese man admits planning attack in Bangkok but aborted, no fertiliser for bombmaking found; will be deported without charge /MCOT

So planning to carry out major crimes isn't a fellony here?

Amazing.

Could had been worse, they could had offered him a cabinet position... crazy.gif

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason the US, UK, etc authorities issue these so called warnings, is to cover their ars*s, the Thais don't need to do that, 'cause they don't have suing culture here. That's why I love it, if you trip on the pavement (sidewalk) here you weren't watching where you were going.

What planet are you on?! A 73 year old man is in prison for 15 days because he repeated what his long-dead son said 20 years ago about the end of days. OK... so he was off a bit... but he got sued... and sent to jail... and he's 73! Because some morons believed him!

This isn't a suing culture?! Holy crap... every day one politician is suing another because he doesn't like his tie. And then the other guy didn't like the fact that the first guy didn't like his tie, so he sues him back. And then...

Seriously?! Any half-sensible judge would say get the f--- out of my courtroom and settle this with a slapfight like 2 little schoolgirls. But since this is the land of smiles, they'd have a tickle fight... and eat sugary food at the same time.

I think you are living in the wrong country mate, you are so full of hatred for this place, or maybe you are just full of hatred..Politicians are a corrupt lot everywhere, who knows what they do?

I don't know who you are referring to but my guess he was "fined" and sent to jail, for doing something he shouldn't.

"Half sensible judge"? what country are you from? We have some pretty stupid ones in my country, who let paedophiles out after 10 minutes in a hotel, instead of putting them in the ground, where they belong. I am sure you have them too, stupidity a prerequisite for any judge

Being 73 he should have had more sense, trouble is foreigners think they can do as they please, but this is Thailand and it belongs to Thais, their laws their rules.

• Like 1

...In your dreams will I trust the Thai government's comments on anything after their "expert" advice on the floods.

Hezbollah is only for few countries, Israel, USA, Canada a terrorist organisation.

They are part of the elected government in Lebanon. Thailand has no problem with them and they are no threat to Thailand.

Police chief says detained Lebanese man admits planning attack in Bangkok but aborted, no fertiliser for bombmaking found; will be deported without charge /MCOT

I will belive that for sure! He ADMITS but cant find the things necesary for making a bomb and they let him go? ....guess something they have to press out of him before letting him out.... mai pen rai ... NEXT ... hope all our USA citizens here will now relax again and enjoy the sun, the beaches and the hooke......oh sorry, no such thing in LoS

AMAZING End from an amazing country

...In your dreams will I trust the Thai government's comments on anything after their "expert" advice on the floods.

Hezbollah is only for few countries, Israel, USA, Canada a terrorist organisation.

They are part of the elected government in Lebanon. Thailand has no problem with them and they are no threat to Thailand.

Also Holland, the UK, and Australia. Also, Hezbollah is closely linked with Iran and depends on their massive support and that is a fact.

Someone commented that maybe these guys had gone Pataya for the same reason as the rest of us.

What if they did?

Abdul..."Bye Niana (sorry, I dont know any Arab women's names) I just off to Pattaya to do some terrorism"

Niana...That's okay Abdul, as long as you are not going for a beer and a shag"

Abdul...See you later darling, love you!!"

"Right lads you drive"

What an excuse!!

PM Yingluck brushes aside worries over terror attack plan in Thailand

When asked if the suspects have really been apprehended and about their affiliation to foreign terrorist groups, the PM confirmed that the suspects have been under police custody. While declining to disclose further, the Premier promised to share important information with the public, once available.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-14 footer_n.gif

Today, we're back to "suspects" in custody. It would be nice if Chalerm and Yingluck would at least get their stories in sync with each other. I still doubt anyone is actually in custody. There are sketches available to the public, but I have yet to see a single arrest photo, a photo opp. with Chalerm pointing his finger at a suspect or anything to indicate they have actually done anything but deny a problem exists.

Such a terror suspect in cutody would likely be handled by military and high level security/intelligence personell both Thai and non Thai thus the "photo op" likely is not an option. If the detainee is hezbollah he is a extremely important.

Actually a few more countries - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah#Designation_as_a_terrorist_organization_or_resistance_movement

As to "not posing a threat", you may want to read up on the bombings in Argentina (1992, 1994) - Israeli and Jewish targets, quite a few non-both died as well. Terrorists aren't that good with aiming.

Actually a few more countries - http://en.wikipedia....stance_movement

As to "not posing a threat", you may want to read up on the bombings in Argentina (1992, 1994) - Israeli and Jewish targets, quite a few non-both died as well. Terrorists aren't that good with aiming.

Yes, collateral damage isn't a big concern for them.

AP's report thus far today:

BANGKOK (AP) — Police in Thailand say an alleged terrorist plot aimed at Bangkok has been thwarted, though one of the men who prompted urgent terror warnings from the United States and Israel remains at large.

Police Chief Gen. Priewpan Damapong said Saturday that the alleged bombing plot had been called off by the alleged plotters — both Lebanese men said to be linked to pro-Iranian Hezbollah militants.

One man has been in custody for questioning, and the other remains at large. The U.S. Embassy had circulated a warning Friday that there was a "real and credible" terrorist threat against Americans in Bangkok, and Israel issued a similar warning. Thai authorities say they are pursuing the missing suspect.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Also Holland, the UK, and Australia. Also, Hezbollah is closely linked with Iran and depends on their massive support and that is a fact.

It still doesn't change the fact that Hezbollah is of little interest to Thailand. Being "linked to Iran" is not a crime in Thailand.

Reuters report below (in full version) mentions that TNN reporting that security has been heightened in Chiang Mai and Phuket...

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai authorities have beefed up security in parts of the capital and other areas popular with tourists after the United States and Israel warned of a possible terrorist attack.

The army was helping the police in providing security, army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters on Saturday. "People must be on alert and report anything suspicious," he said.

National Security Council secretary-general General Vichien Potphosri said special measures had been put in place in risk areas including Khao San Road, an area popular with backpackers, and parts of the main Sukhumvit road.

MORE:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/1/14/reutersworld/20120114182527&sec=reutersworld

A post containing quoted content from Bangkok Post has been removed as per forum rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

The one suspect in custody admits to being involved in a bombing plot, according to the media reports posted above, and the Thais are going to deport him without any charge??? Really???

yes, I thought that also.

Strange picture.

Reuters report below (in full version) mentions that TNN reporting that security has been heightened in Chiang Mai and Phuket...

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai authorities have beefed up security in parts of the capital and other areas popular with tourists after the United States and Israel warned of a possible terrorist attack.

The army was helping the police in providing security, army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters on Saturday. "People must be on alert and report anything suspicious," he said.

National Security Council secretary-general General Vichien Potphosri said special measures had been put in place in risk areas including Khao San Road, an area popular with backpackers, and parts of the main Sukhumvit road.

MORE:

http://thestar.com.m...ec=reutersworld

Not surprised. There are Jewish targets in both Chiang Mai and Phuket.

A post containing quoted content from Bangkok Post has been removed as per forum rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

OK thanks for the info...I'll be more careful next time.

It still doesn't change the fact that Hezbollah is of little interest to Thailand. Being "linked to Iran" is not a crime in Thailand.

I am sorry if you don't get it. This isn't about Thailand.

Am I the only one who is concerned that these two guys were not alone in this plot?

Two foreigners simply could not put together a bomb without the assistance of some locals. Where are these other people? Could they be actively involved in a further plan?

Doesn't letting this guy go send a message to others that such plots aren't taken very seriously?

• Like 1

Am I the only one who is concerned that these two guys were not alone in this plot?

Two foreigners simply could not put together a bomb without the assistance of some locals. Where are these other people? Could they be actively involved in a further plan?

Doesn't letting this guy go send a message to others that such plots aren't taken very seriously?

Yes, but locals doesn't mean Thai nationals. Plenty of foreigner locals as well.

In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Could you be more specific about these "special cases"? Newpapers are not secret information and their articles are for everyone to be read. Wonder why Thaivisa bas been withheld from quoting BKK Post news articles? Did Thaivisa "global moderators" went on a collision course with them?

It sends the message that Thailand is perfectly content to turn a blind eye to would-be terrorists for R&R and whatever else they want to do here... along with all manner of other regular criminals, folks on the run, etc etc...

For as the Foreign Minister was quoted in the news today as saying:

He asked potential terrorists not to pose any threat to the country, for the world needs peace and Thailand is a Buddhist country that maintains peace as well.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Could you be more specific about these "special cases"? Newpapers are not secret information and their articles are for everyone to be read. Wonder why Thaivisa bas been withheld from quoting BKK Post news articles? Did Thaivisa "global moderators" went on a collision course with them?

On special news cases, webfact may post a news article from Bangkok Post that is not covered in other news outlets.

Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them.

MORE:

http://thestar.com.m...ec=reutersworld

Not surprised. There are Jewish targets in both Chiang Mai and Phuket.

so WHAT are the Jewish TARGETS in Phuket?

The only jewish thing I know here is a place called family restaurant with a very kind jewish owner....the whole story is a made

up by the US and Israel government like so many others since 2001...

I personally hope the israelis stay away here anyway....met only not so nice people from there, to say it in a nice way.jap.gif

+++++++++++++++++

I belive in the elves and dwarfs happy land