Muriatic Acid

corkman

Muriatic acid is just hydrocholoric acid so any homepro or like should have it.

Just premix with water before you add to pool and remember add acid to water when premixing not water to acid ( dissolution is highly exothermic and if you add water to the acid it can explode back out all over you.

Gloves and eyewaer and you are in control cheers

Just premix with water before you add to pool and remember add acid to water when premixing not water to acid ( dissolution is highly exothermic and if you add water to the acid it can explode back out all over you.

Thanks Monty.

Any idea approxiamtely how much this stuff costs?

I'm a little bit ignorant, but I've read Muriatic Acid is about 35% the strength of hydrocholoric acid - so I should use about 1/3rd of the mix?

Cheers.

Thanks Monty.

Any idea approxiamtely how much this stuff costs?

I'm a little bit ignorant, but I've read Muriatic Acid is about 35% the strength of hydrocholoric acid - so I should use about 1/3rd of the mix?

Cheers.

I do not have info over the price .

Muriatic acid and hydrochloric acid are the same . It is just a different name . 35% is near the highest reachable as it is a gas in water solution . Smoking HCL is 37% if i remember correct , and you will see fumes of white smoke going out of the bottle . 35% is just below that , so it is very concentrated stuff .

• 9 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Global House used to have it in 20kg carboys in the two branches within driving distance of me (Ubon Ratchathani and Kantharalak) at about 280 baht, but they both seem not to have restocked in recent months. Haven't yet asked if that is intentional or just a short term supply issue.

Prior to Global House, when the largest of the watsadus (DIY sheds) in Ubon had stopped stocking it 8 years ago I could not find carboys elsewhere in the other national chain watsadus or builders merchants locally 'for love nor money'* - despite those pool guys in Bangkok and Pattaya on pool threads annoyingly saying it's available at all builders merchants! My guess is that many retailers find handling such a dangerous chemical a pain in the proverbial!

I found myself back then 6-8 years ago having to collect it in bulk (ie 5 or more carboys at a time) from a builders merchant in Roi Et (a friend living there had alerted me to it) or Buriram (well-known watsadu just north of the ring road). Then Global opened locally. Now I'm back to square one and will have to troll round the local watsadus again when I get nearer to running out.

*Some had smaller bottles but not at a very economic price. I'm recalling3 litres for 100baht kind of price)

Just now, SantiSuk said:

Global House used to have it in 20kg carboys in the two branches within driving distance of me (Ubon Ratchathani and Kantharalak) at about 280 baht, but they both seem not to have restocked in recent months. Haven't yet asked if that is intentional or just a short term supply issue.

Prior to Global House, when the largest of the watsadus (DIY sheds) in Ubon had stopped stocking it 8 years ago, I could not find carboys elsewhere in the other national chain watsadus or builders merchants locally 'for love nor money'* - despite those pool guys in Bangkok and Pattaya on pool threads annoyingly saying it's available at all builders merchants! My guess is that many retailers find handling such a potentially dangerous chemical (you have to be carefull of spillage from insecure caps when transporting yourself) a pain in the proverbial!

I found myself back then 6-8 years ago having to collect it in bulk (ie 5 or more carboys at a time) from a builders merchant in Roi Et - a friend living there had alerted me to it - or Buriram (well-known watsadu just north of the ring road). Then Global opened locally. Now I'm back to square one and will have to troll round the local watsadus again when I get nearer to running out.

*Some had smaller bottles but not at a very economic price. I'm recalling 3 litres for 80 baht kind of price)

• 3 weeks later...

To dispel some of the conjecture:

Muriatic (American English) and Hydrochloric Acid are exactly  the same product.

It  is used in pools for reducing  the pH but  it  is a very common chemical -  it's what  your stomach produces to  digest  your food. Due to  the bed rock type in most  of Thailand (usually  sedimentary  rock - limestone), most  pools regularly need pHminus or hydrochloric acid to  keep  the pH down to  7.2 to  7.6.

Ask for กรดไฮโดรคลอริก (pronounced as in  English ' hydrochloric acid'), or its more common name here กรดเกลือ, pronounced 'grot gloowa', literally  'salt acid' -  Salzsaüre as it  is known in  German.

Hydrochloric Acid   is widely  available at many Mom & Pop hardware stores and in all Home Supplies Centres such  as Do Home, Home Hub, Thai Watsadu, and Global House.

It  is sold in 20 Litre PVC canisters and costs around ฿270.

In  pools, because it  gives off dangerous fumes and is difficult to  store, Hydrochloric Acid  is only  generally  used together with  automatic pH monitoring  and dosing  systems.

Much safer and easier to  use (and goes a lot  further for the price) in other pools is pHminus (sodium bisulphate), sometimes marketed as 'pH Down', a 'dry' acid available from all pool stores and online but  at  wildly  different  prices -  some plainly  extortionate. Shop around.

• 1 month later...

Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid = HCl, that's the best to ask for in any chemical shop: "Acid HCL" or Salt Acid.  (It's used in classic station batteries Ni-Cd - not the lead batteries for cars.) 

Why not to google for Chemical shop in Bangkok or wherever?

It's used for lowering pH, in the same way as pH Minus, just much cheaper.  Precaution: always pour into the water bucket, not opposite. 

It's also good when cleaning the dirty rand around the water line once in few weeks/months, it goes very easily: dissolved ca. 1 part into 3- 4 of water in a bucket, or test it first, it depends on the concentration. Then with scotch foam on a handle to clean around the pool. Precaution: good glasses. I do it being inside the pool tiptoe, the bucket floating on water next to me, carefully proceeding around. 

If cleaning a pool of plastic foil, better first to test it whether the plastic material will not be affected. 

Similar function of lowering pH can be made by sulphuric acid, H2SO4, same as it's used in car lead batteries.       

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid = HCl, that's the best to ask for in any chemical shop: "Acid HCL" or Salt Acid.  (It's used in classic station batteries Ni-Cd - not the lead batteries for cars.) 

Why not to google for Chemical shop in Bangkok or wherever?

It's used for lowering pH, in the same way as pH Minus, just much cheaper.  Precaution: always pour into the water bucket, not opposite. 

It's also good when cleaning the dirty rand around the water line once in few weeks/months, it goes very easily: dissolved ca. 1 part into 3- 4 of water in a bucket, or test it first, it depends on the concentration. Then with scotch foam on a handle to clean around the pool. Precaution: good glasses. I do it being inside the pool tiptoe, the bucket floating on water next to me, carefully proceeding around. 

If cleaning a pool of plastic foil, better first to test it whether the plastic material will not be affected. 

Similar function of lowering pH can be made by sulphuric acid, H2SO4, same as it's used in car lead batteries.       

Sulphuric acid is far more dangerous than hydrochloric acid and is not recommended for swimming pools! 

Cleaning the pools scum lines with a quality pool detergent is far easier than using acid. Most scum lines are oil based and acid doesn't work on oils!

Edited by Bagwain

On 5/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, Bagwain said:

Sulphuric acid is far more dangerous than hydrochloric acid and is not recommended for swimming pools! 

Cleaning the pools scum lines with a quality pool detergent is far easier than using acid. Most scum lines are oil based and acid doesn't work on oils!

Both kinds of the acid are dangerous once they are not used properly. 

I do not know how much more easier another detergent could be than the HCL solution I am using when it immediately goes away with the first touch. However, I do not have an oily water, that's perhaps a problem of hotel pools where the guests are overcreamed.

Nevertheless, even such dirty line will not be a pure oil substance, the mixture with other sludge from the water will enable to be removed by the acid.