Air Pollution In Kamphaeng Phet

Brissance

Have made a few visits to Kamphaeng Phet over the past two months and each time there's been black crud falling from the sky. It's everywhere; on the sidewalk, in the trees, on your car when it's been parked. Every-one there must be breathing in this black dust all the time. It's the first time I've ever considered wearing a dust mask since I came to Thailand.

When we visited at the holiday, we arrived in my wife's car white car. After a few hours it was black. At the weekend we were there again but she insisted that I use mine. After one hour my car was black also.

Friends told us that it's normal for this time of year, due to the burning of sugar cane. It starts in December and ends in March. Four months!

I've never seen these conditions before. Does any-one else have this problem at this time of year?

We dont get it in Nakhon Sawan, but there are a lot of sugar cane fields on the to Banpot Phisai and a refining plant there, always lorries waiting to go in process the cane.

I had been led to believe that KPP had almost perfect air quality and blue flags for its beaches often referred to as Thailands answer to Walton-on-the-Naze, clearly this not the case and just local propaganda. KPP is still worth a visit to see the Grand Chang Waterfalls and view the magnificent Export Geyser also at Chang Brewery, the spout of Export Chang rises to over 3 metres and is bored from almost 10 metres although some have desputed this as pure Chang saying it is fact a rogue spur from the Archa well.

We dont get it in Nakhon Sawan, but there are a lot of sugar cane fields on the to Banpot Phisai and a refining plant there, always lorries waiting to go in process the cane.

I had been led to believe that KPP had almost perfect air quality and blue flags for its beaches often referred to as Thailands answer to Walton-on-the-Naze, clearly this not the case and just local propaganda. KPP is still worth a visit to see the Grand Chang Waterfalls and view the magnificent Export Geyser also at Chang Brewery, the spout of Export Chang rises to over 3 metres and is bored from almost 10 metres although some have desputed this as pure Chang saying it is fact a rogue spur from the Archa well.

without doubt its the bloody sugar cane. my wife's village is between KKP and klong klung, all sugar and rice. the suage fields are burned prior to cutting and you are left gasping for air. its lat this year for some reason and in many places over grown. probably blame the floods. but it is an annual event. I am sure it shortens lives living in a bonfire

without doubt its the bloody sugar cane. my wife's village is between KKP and klong klung, all sugar and rice. the suage fields are burned prior to cutting and you are left gasping for air. its lat this year for some reason and in many places over grown. probably blame the floods. but it is an annual event. I am sure it shortens lives living in a bonfire

Yes that's what you will get near Khlong Khlung It last with a vengeance for about 6 week's. They don't have to burn them they only do it to get rid of the Snake's, Scorpion's ect, seem's crazy to me kill off all the local worker's that by the way get paid on the amount of kl they cut on a good day they can earn 250bt If you see them after a day's work they are black. Now you will know why there's no Hotel's guest house's around Khlong Khlung all the Thai's (Not farmer's) never stop until they get to K.P.P. town it's self some 40+km north. N/B it's 100 time's worse in Chang M. that start's later. Tip steer well clear Jan:/Feb.

I've just never witnessed that level of air pollution in Thailand before, which is why I asked if it's a usual occurrance. So it seems what we saw in Kamphaeng Phet is normal at this time of year. If other areas are worse, then they must be very bad indeed. We stayed at a hotel in the city centre on each of our visits and it was bad.

Breathing in the fine black powder that the larger 'snowflakes' break down into for a period of four months a year just has to be bad for your health.

The reason(s) why the farmers burned their crops before harvest intrigued me so I did a little searching. It would appear that the burning of sugar cane is not just a Thai activity. Take a look at the attached file.burning sugar cane.pdf

Kamphaeng Phet itself seems to be an ok place, as are many large towns/cities in agricultural areas. Other than visiting friends we met elsewhere, who happen to live there, there's nothing of particular interest there for us. Allthough there's an ok restaraunt which specializes in mushroom dishes, that we like to to visit. Even if we're just passing through.

Will look out for the Chang Geyser next time we're in the area. I'm not too sure that I would drink beer that is exposed to the atmosphere close to Khlong Khlung though.

I think lighting fires and dancing around bonfires seems to be a national passtime here, got some rubbish or something you just want to get rid of, well you can either fly tip it or burn it, heaven forbid it should be dealt with in a responsible way.

KPP gets a lucky reprieve and will soon get the ok for clean air in the vicinity, in the meantime medical practioners are recommending that bottles of local herb drinks are taken liberaly, tthats Chang, Archa, Leo and Singha, they should be taken at least 4 times a day from 1200hrs.

Cricket is off at 1300hrs.

I've just never witnessed that level of air pollution in Thailand before, which is why I asked if it's a usual occurrance. So it seems what we saw in Kamphaeng Phet is normal at this time of year. If other areas are worse, then they must be very bad indeed. We stayed at a hotel in the city centre on each of our visits and it was bad.

Breathing in the fine black powder that the larger 'snowflakes' break down into for a period of four months a year just has to be bad for your health.

The reason(s) why the farmers burned their crops before harvest intrigued me so I did a little searching. It would appear that the burning of sugar cane is not just a Thai activity. Take a look at the attached file.burning sugar cane.pdf

Kamphaeng Phet itself seems to be an ok place, as are many large towns/cities in agricultural areas. Other than visiting friends we met elsewhere, who happen to live there, there's nothing of particular interest there for us. Allthough there's an ok restaraunt which specializes in mushroom dishes, that we like to to visit. Even if we're just passing through.

Will look out for the Chang Geyser next time we're in the area. I'm not too sure that I would drink beer that is exposed to the atmosphere close to Khlong Khlung though.

You must have been very unlucky to have got black snow in K.P.P town. I live on the edge also have a white car and not had one bit of crap on it well maybe a little gin jock sh/t so far this year. If you think K/P/Phet is bad you should try N/S but don't eat the mushroom's or anything come to that there as they taste of exhaust fume's. Question where is the mushroom restaurant in K.P.P. as I don't know it.

Thank you for the Walton on the Naze bit. Us at T.T.A. K.K.P. have spent the morning trying to find a place in Essex that we could liken to N/S the only one that come's near is Jaywick sand's, if that's a little upmarket let us know and we'll try and sort another.

N/B the geyser at the Chang Brewery is nearer to N/S than it is to K.P.P. town only just but it is, so maybe you should add it to one of your sight seeing trip's. Bit to far for us OAP Landed Gentry.

Did you find a Hotel in Pattaya by the way as I know you were looking????

Just looked up the sugar cane burning bit 450,000 Acre's that they burn in the USA can you imagine what sh/t that put's into the air.

The Cricket is still on all welcome. But only route Beer.

Edited by fredob43

Jaywick certainly will not do! I think twinning with Clacton might be a goer though as there is Wetherspoons on the front and that just might be the clincher for twinning and it does have a direct hourly train to Liverpool Street, remind me now how big is the train station station at KPP and how many trains to BKK? Or did times and progress wizz by, leavinf all the geriatrics in a time warpmfr_closed1.gif

Time to go to another bonfire!

Jaywick certainly will not do! I think twinning with Clacton might be a goer though as there is Wetherspoons on the front and that just might be the clincher for twinning and it does have a direct hourly train to Liverpool Street, remind me now how big is the train station station at KPP and how many trains to BKK? Or did times and progress wizz by, leavinf all the geriatrics in a time warpmfr_closed1.gif

Stop you are inflaming. Whetherspoons, Specklehen, Shipwreck, Youngs Directors, and my favourite Fullers ESB commonly know as " extra special brain " damage. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I think lighting fires and dancing around bonfires seems to be a national passtime here, got some rubbish or something you just want to get rid of, well you can either fly tip it or burn it, heaven forbid it should be dealt with in a responsible way.

KPP gets a lucky reprieve and will soon get the ok for clean air in the vicinity, in the meantime medical practioners are recommending that bottles of local herb drinks are taken liberaly, tthats Chang, Archa, Leo and Singha, they should be taken at least 4 times a day from 1200hrs.

Cricket is off at 1300hrs.

I'm a supporter of herbal remedies. However, I now know the C in Chang is for carbon, whilst the hang is the after effects of indulgance. I prefer San Miguel myself which is second only to my preference to Beer Lao (when I can get it).

I remember cricket. A great game when you're at the match, drinking herbal remedies in the sunshine (rain more often than not). On TV it's like watching paint dry.

You must have been very unlucky to have got black snow in K.P.P town. I live on the edge also have a white car and not had one bit of crap on it well maybe a little gin jock sh/t so far this year. If you think K/P/Phet is bad you should try N/S but don't eat the mushroom's or anything come to that there as they taste of exhaust fume's. Question where is the mushroom restaurant in K.P.P. as I don't know it.

I'm not convinced that we were unlucky. Standing on the balcony, at the hotel, large plumes of smoke were visible over to the West every afternoon/evening. After nightfall the view was impressive. This was followed by black snow which settled everywhere, some flakes were 8" long. The balcony was covered with these deposits every morning and the maid complained when my wife insisted that she clean up every morning and sometimes again in the afternoon . Needless to say, the car which was directly below was covered in crud.

Probably the scenario is that you are luckier than most in Kamphaeng Phet, due to the topography of your location and the general wind direction.

I've got a new theory about Songkran though: The water festival originated in Kamphaeng Phet. The reason for this was to wash all the crud away after the burning season.

Re: the restaraunt, it's on highway one, just before the Ford dealership, when travelling North from Kamphaeng Phet. Which is, the best way to travel when in Kamphaeng Phet.

Sorry, I can't remember the name. The dishes are all Thai and mushroom based, with a few dishes combining mushrooms with meat or fish. We go for the mushroom dishes as it's a welcome change to routine; meat/fish combinations.

I'm not convinced that we were unlucky. Standing on the balcony, at the hotel, large plumes of smoke were visible over to the West every afternoon/evening. After nightfall the view was impressive. This was followed by black snow which settled everywhere, some flakes were 8" long. The balcony was covered with these deposits every morning and the maid complained when my wife insisted that she clean up every morning and sometimes again in the afternoon . Needless to say, the car which was directly below was covered in crud.

Probably the scenario is that you are luckier than most in Kamphaeng Phet, due to the topography of your location and the general wind direction.

I've got a new theory about Songkran though: The water festival originated in Kamphaeng Phet. The reason for this was to wash all the crud away after the burning season.

Re: the restaraunt, it's on highway one, just before the Ford dealership, when travelling North from Kamphaeng Phet. Which is, the best way to travel when in Kamphaeng Phet.

Sorry, I can't remember the name. The dishes are all Thai and mushroom based, with a few dishes combining mushrooms with meat or fish. We go for the mushroom dishes as it's a welcome change to routine; meat/fish combinations.

Thank's for that. Yes I know it big one on the left just before the T/L never been in it though as most time's it's empty. The G/L tell's me they do several Ant egg dish's !!!! If you fancy a bit of English/German "No Thai" go over the bridge just after the T/L going north on 1 take the first left 1.2 km on left is the Oasis restaurant run by a German man Mike nice place food N/B his English is better than his German so he tell's me. I still think you were a bit unlucky two or three day's before or after and you wouldn't have seen any Black snow. Can you imagine what it's like in Khong Klung they get it 24/7.

Clacton Clacton. Me think's your getting a bit above your station. There was a program on our cable TV the other week all about Jaywick and very nice it seemed to. Well other than the local pub with it's few broken window's, dead flower's in their window box's full of riff raff. But I'm sure a Wetherspoon's could open in the near future, don't know how long it would last though.

A Train station in K.P.P. do you think we would put up with one of those??? we have made them put the bus station outside the main town, cant be putting up with crapy exhaust fume's all over the place. Let alone the Smoke and the smell of hot Oil from one of those coal burning thing's "Train's" Now ESB there's a thought.

T.T.A.K.P.Phet

All this talk of Wetherspoons has given me a depression, there is no chance of KPP getting one, all wine drinkers there or on a "painting holiday" snobs!!Nakhon Sawan much likely to get one, I will email Tim Martin pronto. Just Imagine a beer festival, what would the locals make of that and peeps from KPP after they had removed their gasmasks, yes you do have to take them off before eating and drinking thats how you tell peeps from KKP spilt food food all over their fronts. Same with toilets, dont forget to pull your pants down before going causes a terrible mess not mention the smell, can smell peeps from KPP coming for miles, they are useless without their servants!!

Yes Wetherspoons, where was I, are yes, well we can start with Chang draught for the locals, beer Lao for the more adventurous one then hit them full barrel with ESB, Bombardier, Directors, Old Peculiar, Cornish Coaster,

Woodefordes Nelson Blood, Oyster Stout and Summer Ligthening ( thats for the ladies who want to become less dark). Now Fish and Chips anyone? Comes with a slice of bread and butter and a mug of tea!

Edited by exeter

All this talk of Wetherspoons has given me a depression, there is no chance of KPP getting one, all wine drinkers there or on a "painting holiday" snobs!!Nakhon Sawan much likely to get one, I will email Tim Martin pronto. Just Imagine a beer festival, what would the locals make of that and peeps from KPP after they had removed their gasmasks, yes you do have to take them off before eating and drinking thats how you tell peeps from KKP spilt food food all over their fronts. Same with toilets, dont forget to pull your pants down before going causes a terrible mess not mention the smell, can smell peeps from KPP coming for miles, they are useless without their servants!!

Yes Wetherspoons, where was I, are yes, well we can start with Chang draught for the locals, beer Lao for the more adventurous one then hit them full barrel with ESB, Bombardier, Directors, Old Peculiar, Cornish Coaster,

Woodefordes Nelson Blood, Oyster Stout and Summer Ligthening ( thats for the ladies who want to become less dark). Now Fish and Chips anyone? Comes with a slice of bread and butter and a mug of tea!

No problem with servant's We have load's. Must agree with your choice of beer's. Don't have any worries with gas mask's have had a large straw made and I always bring a liquidiser.

Right the restaurant that sell's mushroom's went past it tonight empty as usual pointed it out to the G/L told her that they do lot's of Mushroom's dish's. Reply sure they do it's called restaurant Mushroom what you think they sell, asked if she wanted to give it a try, reply NO. Look's like I won't be going but thank's for the info.

No problem with servant's We have load's. Must agree with your choice of beer's. Don't have any worries with gas mask's have had a large straw made and I always bring a liquidiser.

Right the restaurant that sell's mushroom's went past it tonight empty as usual pointed it out to the G/L told her that they do lot's of Mushroom's dish's. Reply sure they do it's called restaurant Mushroom what you think they sell, asked if she wanted to give it a try, reply NO. Look's like I won't be going but thank's for the info.

I will see if Tim Martin will put HED SOUP on the menu with bread roll for you! I expect peeps from KPP only drink 1/2 pints of ale as it is seen as more sedate, with handles of course so you dont spill anythinggiggle.gif

I will see if Tim Martin will put HED SOUP on the menu with bread roll for you! I expect peeps from KPP only drink 1/2 pints of ale as it is seen as more sedate, with handles of course so you dont spill anythinggiggle.gif

What a nice peep's you are Hed soup not to thick and a soft bap roll please teeth don't you know. We only drink from Champagne flute's here, glass's with handle's "Jug's" there for the common peep's.

Is true, I heard it on the border between Nakhon Sawan and KPP, that peeps from KPP are known as "Boys from the Back Stuff"?

Actually around here they are known as city boys and out in the sticks where I live we are the back(woods) boys.

I was going to say that out here there is no pollution or smog but this morning for some odd reason the hills are alive with animals runiing for their lives as it the annual hill burning time.

Is true, I heard it on the border between Nakhon Sawan and KPP, that peeps from KPP are known as "Boys from the Back Stuff"?

Actually around here they are known as city boys and out in the sticks where I live we are the back(woods) boys.

I was going to say that out here there is no pollution or smog but this morning for some odd reason the hills are alive with animals runiing for their lives as it the annual hill burning time.

Are there any banjos involved in any of this?

I'm bemused by al this talk of black ash.No sign of it here in Phrankratai and when I've ventured into KPP,it's been as clean as the preferable whistle!

I made the aquaintance of old Thai scholar recently and he told in Thai (so it was translated to me) about the history of the place known as Kampeang Phet has a very chequered past and that this recent black dust falling from the sky is just the most recent bit of bad luck for the place.

It seems it was once the home for Thai version of the Black Death when the place was over run by huge black rats, apparently it caused a great fire causing even more black flakes to be dumped on the settlement, the fire started in Paddyng Lane.

The scholar went on to state that most people in the settlement are blind and can see no further than town boundary those that do venture further often return with horrific tales of fire walls, spasms, food shortages, airless communities, talking boxes and the like were treated with disdain and usually burnt and brewed at the Chang Wells as Expat Chang ( now also available in draught form).

He concluded by saying that the whole province should be given independence as it serves Thailand no useful purpose apart from from using the toilet whilst waiting for the next bus, which often try and race through without stopping.

Speaking yesterday to someone who had escaped the city who could not believe how wonderful Nakhon Sawan was and all their life had been told that "to go south to that evil place on the Ping and Nan" would be their death, possibly was just propaganda put out by the Brain washing dept of KPP.

He foresaw a time when the population would leave KPP on masse and apply for political asylum in Nakhon Sawan, heavens above, they will have to live by the side of the by pass, the city would be too much for them, but I sure the sugar cane burning can continue so they feel at home.

I made the aquaintance of old Thai scholar recently and he told in Thai (so it was translated to me) about the history of the place known as Kampeang Phet has a very chequered past and that this recent black dust falling from the sky is just the most recent bit of bad luck for the place.

It seems it was once the home for Thai version of the Black Death when the place was over run by huge black rats, apparently it caused a great fire causing even more black flakes to be dumped on the settlement, the fire started in Paddyng Lane.

The scholar went on to state that most people in the settlement are blind and can see no further than town boundary those that do venture further often return with horrific tales of fire walls, spasms, food shortages, airless communities, talking boxes and the like were treated with disdain and usually burnt and brewed at the Chang Wells as Expat Chang ( now also available in draught form).

He concluded by saying that the whole province should be given independence as it serves Thailand no useful purpose apart from from using the toilet whilst waiting for the next bus, which often try and race through without stopping.

Speaking yesterday to someone who had escaped the city who could not believe how wonderful Nakhon Sawan was and all their life had been told that "to go south to that evil place on the Ping and Nan" would be their death, possibly was just propaganda put out by the Brain washing dept of KPP.

He foresaw a time when the population would leave KPP on masse and apply for political asylum in Nakhon Sawan, heavens above, they will have to live by the side of the by pass, the city would be too much for them, but I sure the sugar cane burning can continue so they feel at home.

Me think's Exeter that you are losing the plot a bit like Dave. Old scholar indeed and it was "translated"

Let me try and put you right. Us Upper Crust's Elite peep's are in K.P.P for one reason it used to be the Capital of Thailand. When King what's his name was on the throne, he allegedly picked the place for it Clean air, and when they wanted to build several road's near by he poo pooed the idea as he had the foresight what it would be like a few hundred year's later. The upshot was he made them the road's all join up 100+km south and over time he named it N/S that by the way was not called Nakhon Sawan then it stood for NO SHIT in K.P.P but over the year's like most thing's it has been shortened and the local's they were not to bright even then decided to keep the N/S bit, so now you know, Interesting local FACT'S A.

I/We of course would not know anything about using bus station's, but we do go past them on occasions in our Limo's just to see how the poor lesser peep's live, and to use the toilet's at same EEEEEK Buddha forbid one would have to stoop that low.

If you look in Chinese new year forum you will see exactly what happen's to the peep's that venture to N/S or venture further as you put it, the one posted by O/G seem's he had the misfortune to go there N/S on the 23rd it was because Dave and his elk had told everyone how great it all was. Well his day turned out to be a real bummer and to crown the hole thing orrrf has now ended up suffering from a spate of Boil's and other general skin infection's. Don't panic I've heard that he won't be suing anyone there I think it's because no lawyer worth there sort's would go to the God forsaken place.

I must agree with you on your point that the so called city would be much to much for us just to go within 20 mile would be to much for anyone.

Polo member. For and behalf of

T.T.A.K.P.Phet

• 3 weeks later...

That's perhaps why we call it the mushroom retaurant. At the time of posting I thought it may have a more imaginative name. Obviously not. I must admit that I have never been there, in the evening. So, I wouldn't know if it gets busy or not, at that time. We go around lunchtime, when we visit and I've never seen it less than 25%, nor more than 75% full and it has a large dining area. We were there on Thursday and got a very strange look when we asked for ant eggs.

We visited the place you mentioned last year, having seen the signs advertising 'pizza'. The guy seemed pleasant enough and his english was pretty good. We had deep pan schnitzel, with fries and ketchup.

By the way, Kamphaeng Phet was again covered by black crud. It's too much of a coincidence to be a random occurrence.

That's perhaps why we call it the mushroom retaurant. At the time of posting I thought it may have a more imaginative name. Obviously not. I must admit that I have never been there, in the evening. So, I wouldn't know if it gets busy or not, at that time. We go around lunchtime, when we visit and I've never seen it less than 25%, nor more than 75% full and it has a large dining area. We were there on Thursday and got a very strange look when we asked for ant eggs.

We visited the place you mentioned last year, having seen the signs advertising 'pizza'. The guy seemed pleasant enough and his english was pretty good. We had deep pan schnitzel, with fries and ketchup.

By the way, Kamphaeng Phet was again covered by black crud. It's too much of a coincidence to be a random occurrence.

KPP covered in soot again, I dont believe it, what sort of Heritage is that! Thats why its all gone quiet up there eh!

KPP covered in soot again, I dont believe it, what sort of Heritage is that! Thats why its all gone quiet up there eh!

Don't know how you find all this black snow I live just off the 115 no more than 1km as the crow fly's from the mushroom restaurant not to far from the Uni and we haven't had any so far this year, was at Mike's tonight Sat: and asked him and he said he got one day of it but that was week's ago, and that was because he live's right in the middle of the farm's. Next time your this way and you see all this crud give me a call Mike's got my no: and tell me where it is as I've not seen any of it, and I travel every day into K.P.P center on the M/C anytime between 10am & 3pm. And I most certainly wouldn't use the M/C I would go in the car. Limo to the N/S peep's.

As far as ant's egg's go I was told by the G/L she tell's me it's advertised "In Thai" out side on their hording. So you tell me why they don't know about it. TIT

Have been passed the mushroom million's of time's and only a few time's have I seen peep's in there. The local's tell me that no one in K.P.P use's it, it's all passing trade. All the info I get come's via the G/L she speak's to other Thai lady's in the market's/shop's maybe she's got it wrong but I doubt it. Tried to get her to go there 10 day's or so ago reply if you want to go then go, but she won't.

Mike has now changed his menu still Farang but with some bit's gone + some new bit's.

H/M K.P.P.

Edited by fredob43

Just a thought if you would like to try another Restaurant not to far from the Mushroom, a Thai family run place all the customers are local's. Go over the T/Light's towards Tak just before the bridge take the left slip road just as it turn's right to go under the bridge take the small Soi in front of you go's left, go to the end about 20mt: and there it is just as the Soi turn's left main part of the restaurant go's to the right. Food very good, cheap, and large portion's, menu in Thai but has some pictures Open all day 10am to 10pm. Large Leo 50bt give's you some idea of price's. Tip don't go after 6.30pm unless you are prepared to wait for a table. N/B the place seat's over 100 show's how popular it is. Will the G/L go there you bet.

H/M K.P.P.

Edited by fredob43