Chiang Rai- Luang Prbang Via Huay Xai

dindong

Starting tomorrow there is a new bus service starting, Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang,

Price is 950 baht and it will take about 15 to 16 hours leaving from the new bus station every day at 1.oo p.m

I have been told that a foreigner can do the visa on the bus but you would need to confirm this.

The information is in Thai.

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=f3a927a43af3333dfd40ee31e9985826&topic=175485.0

วันที่ 19 มกราคม 2555 บริษัท บขส.เชียงราย เปิดบริการเดินรถบัสปรับอากาศ

เส้นทาง เชียงราย - หลวงพระบาง ในช่องจำหน่ายตั๋วที่ 15 สถานีขนส่งเชียงราย (ตะเคียนคู่) ในราคาท่านละ 950 บาท รถออกเวลา 13.00 น. ทุกวัน (ผู้โดยสาร

สามารถซื้อตั๋วโดยนำพาสปอร์ตที่มีอายุเหลือไม่ต่ำกว่า 6 เดือนไปด้วย เพื่อประกอบ

การทำวีซ่าข้ามแดน) ขอให้ทุกท่านมีความสุขกับการเดินทาง......

ติดต่อสอบถามได้ที่ </span> </span> </span>053-774369</span></span> </span></span> </span> และ </span> </span> </span>053-711369</span></span> </span></span> </span>

and a rough translation

Transport routes to Chiang Rai - Luang Prabang. «. on. on January 14, 2012, 12:29:29 ».

On January 19, 2555 the County Transport Service bus service.

The Rai - Luang Prabang in the 15 Bus Ticket Home (Showcase pairs) at 950 baht per person off at 13.00 pm every day (. passenger

can purchase tickets by bringing the sport of at least 6 months of age with a purpose.

The transit visa), I will be happy to go ...... contact us at 053-774369.</span></span> and 053. -711,369.</font></span></span></span></span></font>

053-774369053-711369 </span></span>

Just saw on TV Twitter that webfact has also posted about this today in the Chiang Mai forum.

Bus originating in Chiang Mai;

2nd class bus - 1200 baht - enroute 18 hours.

When Chiang Khong bridge is finished;

1st class bus - 1500 baht

18 hours in a 2nd class bus, mostly in the night mountains of Laos?

Looking at today's newspaper that shall not be named I see the first bus only had 15 passengers but organisers hope to get things up to 60% capacity on a regular basis.

I predict this will happen when the next edition of Lonely Planet comes out. cool.png

It would be a shame to go through that part of country at night, if the scenery is anything like that between Loung Phrabang and Vientiane I'd be sorry to miss it.

The scenery is much better than the LP - Vientienne route, despite the fact that some areas have been spoilt with rubber plantations. Well worth the trip by road with an overnight in Luang Namtha where the hotels are clean and cheap.

The scenery is much better than the LP - Vientienne route, despite the fact that some areas have been spoilt with rubber plantations. Well worth the trip by road with an overnight in Luang Namtha where the hotels are clean and cheap.

What is the road like?

The road is good enough. I drove our 4x4 Vigo but never had to use the 4wd during the trip.

The first section, Huay Xai to Luang Namtha is a great drive. There is a section about 60km out from Hyay Xai which was not yet surfaced but the grading was good enough to drive at normal speeds.

From Luang Namtha to Udomxai the road was recently resurfaced but had some work being done on the verges. The next part, Udomxai to PakBeng is very bad. It's only 80km but took three hours to drive. The last section into LP is very good.

Diesel, by the way is within a Baht of Thai prices and the Thai Baht is accepted everywhere. Just take small denomination notes.

From which bus station in Chiang Rai does the bus leave? I assume busstation 2, 7 km outside town, right?

Where can you buy the tickets? We are in Chiang Mai, and want to spend 1 day and night in Chiang Rai before going to LP. I assume that you can only buy the Chiang rai to LP ticket in Chiang rai at the bus station? If so, since the bus leaves at 1 pm, how much in advance do we need to be at the station, to be sure to have seats?

Thanks in advance!

We have further checked about this bus.

As reported, it leaves from Chiang Mai and is routed through Chiang Rai.

The bus terminates here in Chiang Khong, at the Thai Immigration crossing to Laos.

Passengers go through the normal Thai Imigration processing, and take the small ferries across the Mekong to the Laos Immigration in Huay Xai.

Upon exiting Laos Immigration, the passengers are taken by tuk-tuk about seven kilometers out to where the regular Laos VIP Bus leaves at 5:00 PM everyday, and overnights to Luang Prahbang. This VIP Bus has been running from Huay Xai to Luang Prahbang for over a year now.

And, tickets on the Lao VIP Bus can be arranged locally.

From which bus station in Chiang Rai does the bus leave? I assume busstation 2, 7 km outside town, right?

Where can you buy the tickets? We are in Chiang Mai, and want to spend 1 day and night in Chiang Rai before going to LP. I assume that you can only buy the Chiang rai to LP ticket in Chiang rai at the bus station? If so, since the bus leaves at 1 pm, how much in advance do we need to be at the station, to be sure to have seats?

Thanks in advance!

It leaces from the new bus station.If you come to Chiang Rai by bus you can buy the ticket at the bus station,

get the 10 baht bus into town and come back the next day and onward to Luang Prabang.

If you do, do this please let us know what the trip was like.

Happy journey.

Edited by dindong

Total distance by road Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang 610km. Eighty percent of the road is very good but narrow single carriageway but Huay xai to Boten (China border) is quite wide and being upgraded now.

I surveyed the trip with a view to making it a cycling route. It's just too hard though unless you have cloven feet. Cars, pick-ups and motorcycles would make the trip easily.

Anyone interested can pm me for my travelogue which gives more details. Sorry, I don't want to publish it generally at this time.

Further information, as of today;

The "999" bus office here in Chiang Khong is now selling Chiang Khong to Luang Prahbang tickets for 735 baht. (This is the office of the newly advertised bus service that originates in Chiang Mai and routes through Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong onto Luang Prahbang.)

Passengers at the Chiang Khong Office with tickets by 3:00PM will be taken by tuk-tuk to Thai Immigration, ferried across the Mekong, and tuk-tuk to the Laos 5:00PM VIP bus departure, about seven kilometers out. We're told the ferry and tuk-tuk both sides are included in the 735 baht.

The Chiang Khong "999" bus office advertises to be open from 6:00AM to 5:00PM.

Enroute on the Laos VIP Bus is reported as 12 -15 hours.

We have further checked about this bus.

Upon exiting Laos Immigration, the passengers are taken by tuk-tuk about seven kilometers out to where the regular Laos VIP Bus leaves at 5:00 PM everyday, and overnights to Luang Prahbang. This VIP Bus has been running from Huay Xai to Luang Prahbang for over a year now.

And, tickets on the Lao VIP Bus can be arranged locally.

Do you mean that we can only buy the ticket for the Laos VIP bus in Laos. I understood that you would buy the whole package from Chiang Rai to LP at the Rai bus station?

Will there be seats available on the VIP bus if we can't pre-book it?

The "999" bus office here in Chiang Khong is now selling Chiang Khong to Luang Prahbang tickets for 735 baht. (This is the office of the newly advertised bus service that originates in Chiang Mai and routes through Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong onto Luang Prahbang.)

Passengers at the Chiang Khong Office with tickets by 3:00PM will be taken by tuk-tuk to Thai Immigration, ferried across the Mekong, and tuk-tuk to the Laos 5:00PM VIP bus departure, about seven kilometers out. We're told the ferry and tuk-tuk both sides are included in the 735 baht.

Anybody who knows if a similar ticket is offered in Chiang Rai, including the Chiang Rai - Chiang khong?

Anybody who knows if a similar ticket is offered in Chiang Rai, including the Chiang Rai - Chiang khong?

Go to the original post at the top of the page.

Benl,

We understand tickets Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Luang Prahbang can be purchased from any "999" office en route.

The new Thai-side bus is basically routing and ticketing onto the existing Laos VIP Bus service. And, shuttling back to Chiang Mai.

Passengers have reported the Laos VIP Bus leaving from Huay Xai as having seating for about thirty persons.

We hear a straight through International Bus will operate when the Chiang Khong Bridge across the Mekong is completed. And, the right side/left side driver certifications are worked out. About 1-1/2 years.

Can I secure a Lao tourist visa (30-day) during a short stay in Chiang Rai?

My trip to Laos (via Nong Khai - Vientiane) is scheduled in February, and I would like to have visa in my passport before I arrive at Friendship Bridge.

I asked around the usual suspects a couple of years back and they all said the same thing... get it at the border.

It's no big deal, download your forms and have them filled in if you like, sometimes they accept them and make sure you have your photos ready.

Can I secure a Lao tourist visa (30-day) during a short stay in Chiang Rai?

My trip to Laos (via Nong Khai - Vientiane) is scheduled in February, and I would like to have visa in my passport before I arrive at Friendship Bridge.

I asked around the usual travel people a couple of years back and they all said the same thing... get it at the border.

It's no big deal, download your forms and have them filled in if you like, sometimes they accept them and make sure you have your photos ready.

Edit: I doubt it could be done quickly anyway, I suspect your passport would have to go the the Lao embassy in Bangkok.