Bad Thai Monks

bankei

I have stumbled across some videos of bad monks in Thailand - a different side of Buddhism.

In this first video the police enter into a monk's kuti to find marijuana, yaabaa and various drug taking implements such as bongs. The police drag him before the abbot and he is instantly disrobed

This is another video with a disrobing. I cannot understand what it is about but the people seem angry with the exmonk.

Bankei

In the first video they get him topoint at the yaabaa tablets...a common thing here where they get the accused to re-enact the crime. They said he also had women come and sleep with him in his guti.

The second is a well known and respected ChiangMai monk who attracted to a girl from another monk and shot someone dead.

The drunk monk tested at 391mg alcohol after claiming that he only drank two cans of Chang beer. he also spoke about selling dogs to Vietnam for slaughter.

There are bad people in all religion.

Catholic priest sexually abuse young boys, Islam teacher caught drinking, Thai monk being gay, etc etc, the list go on.

We all should help to report bad behaviors to make religion a better institution, so that all our faith can depend on.

Hi

Thanks Phra Fabian for the commentary.

Thanks Camerata - I had this post pulled from another so called Buddhism forum because it supposedly was disrespectful to the sangha. It is interesting how western Buddhists want to cover this sort of thing up but not the Thais.

Bankei

There will be always be so called "bad " people in Thai Wats as often the Wats become halfway houses for people who have been or are going into prison or have HIV or drug problems or any other of a multitude of social or medical problems in an attempt to right the situation. I think that we, as westerners, tend to think that the Wats are only for holy people who are following a path to enlightenment rather than the Wats being a insitution that gives aid to those of the population that require some type of help .

Edited by xen

It's hardly surprising that in a country without any social welfare system stories such as these are so prevalent.

If someone has no job, no prospects and no food, what are their options ?

Policeman, Soldier, Monk… the first two require no criminal record…..

Thus the Wat is a last resort for many..... most of the many are simply regular folk with a shaved head and gold robes... some of the many are unreformable criminals...

Edited by richard_smith237

There are bad people in all religion.

Catholic priest sexually abuse young boys, Islam teacher caught drinking, Thai monk being gay, etc etc, the list go on.

We all should help to report bad behaviors to make religion a better institution, so that all our faith can depend on.

You may want to read your own post again.

It's hardly surprising that in a country without any social welfare system stories such as these are so prevalent.

Thus the Wat is a last resort for many..... most of the many are simply regular folk with a shaved head and gold robes... some of the many are unreformable criminals...

Bullshit. Whenever I come across a Western news item regarding the disgraceful behaviour of some 'Buddhist' monks, I know immediately that these 'monks' are Thai.

Compare the relative wealth of those from poverty stricken Burma, Cambodia, Laos, et al.

IT'S A THAI THING. Even the Thais know that.

Bullshit. Whenever I come across a Western news item regarding the disgraceful behaviour of some 'Buddhist' monks, I know immediately that these 'monks' are Thai.

Compare the relative wealth of those from poverty stricken Burma, Cambodia, Laos, et al.

???? wacko.png

There have in fact been a number of sex scandals concerning Western and foreign monks (in the Tibetan and Zen traditions) in the US and their students. Japanese "Zen masters" supported the imperial war effort in the 1940s. Monks are only human, wherever they are.

Is it BS ? We hear about this because we are in Thailand and gravitate towards Thai based news and media.

Example: How often do we read of corruption in Costa Rica? however its possible, even likely that it exists to a greater extent than Thailand. There is no need to discuss this rhetorical point, however the point regarding Monks in Thailand is: because we are not in these other countries and we hear less stories in the media does not mean the 'grass is a cleaner shade of green' so to speak.

If we were to live in Tibet, China, Vietnam - I suspect we may making the converse assumption of Thai monks.

No this is not 'gravitating towards Thai based news and media'. This is world wide news and media. Gun toting monks? Thailand. Visiting karaoke bars? Thailand. Trafficking? Thailand. One monk shooting another over gambling? Thailand. And on.

After 15 years here, I do still extend my interest in current affairs beyond this country you know. In fact, A cursory glance over Bangkok Post tells me all I need to know about not bothering with getting all steamed up/concerning myself with the complete BS that is Thai 'politics' here in Disneyland.

There are plenty of scandals involving Buddhist monks in the West too - many of them visiting monks though.

In Sydney a western monk ordained Theravada monk was arrested on charges relating to drugs. He turned up in court in his robes.

Also later on it had been found that he had lied about qualifications - such as being a medical doctor (from memory).

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=49,6616,0,0,1,0

There was a Sri lankan born monk arrested in Perth Australia a while back involving sexual penetration of a female devotee. There is an article about this in one of the online journals.

In USA there are heaps of scandals. Monks sleeping with disciples - Tibetan and Zen traditions mainly. One had aids and infected many. Recently at least 2 eldlery Japanese priests were exposed as well. Also a number of Theravada Thai monks in USA have been accused of raping young girls - with a few even getting pregnant. On, and there is one old Sri lankan in Australia who allegedly fathered a child but refused to disrobe in the 1970s. He is still a monk as far as I know - see the book by Croucher History of Buddhism in Australia.

Bankei

• 2 weeks later...

There are naughty Cambodian monks too

Cambodian monks roaming the Pattaya streets lined with beer bars with their alms bowls asking foreigners for money at three in morning. Pattaya police arrested 14 Khmer monks at 03:30 asking foreigners for money. The monks were detained, inspected and found out to be real monks.

more at

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/02/03/khmer-monks-asking-for-alms-in-pattaya-again/

In defence of the fashion towards escaping to the Wat, this social safety net might be considered a contemporary one.

Of this generation, such activities are common place, where they weren't before.

I stand firmly in my beliefs that outside cultural influences have dealt this new generation a bad hand.