Ubon Dogs

Hi All

Just to kick off another subject for Ubon. Anybody know of pet shops or breeding kennels for guard dogs such as Rottweillers and/or Doberman Pinschers.

The reason is my home has a number of soi dog mungrel type things hanging around which my in-laws like to a certain degree but are pretty pointless in terms of home security. I returned home in the early hours only to have my ankles licked in the dark by these things when opening my front door. Now I'm convinced we need something with a bark to warn off anyone walking around at night.

In the UK when I was growing up my parents always kept Dobermans and they were good with kids but could always scare off anyone who nosed around outside. If they licked you it usually meant they were basting you for later and planned to eat you.

On instructing my father-in-law to go and get a "big black guard dog with sharp teeth and loud bark" a few weeks ago he came back with a dalmation puppy. What the hel_l we were supposed to do with that I don't know. I had a vision of spraying it black & tan, pricking its ears up and cutting off its tale just to get it looking half viscious. However, it turned out today i've been told that this dalmation puppy died with a bad stoumach of some kind as it tried to eat all the scraps the soi dogs were eating. So far i've thrown 3000 baht it this project and still don't have a dog that measures up to my expectations.

My wife called the pet shop in Ubon who sold her father this dalamation and he feels for some reason that the Dobermans blood line is not any good now in Thailand and generally Thais think of Dobermans as a stupid dog as a result. Far from my memories as a child with my own pet Dobermans growing up which appeared to be quite a smart animal overall.

If anbody can point me in the right direct with a few local contact that I can follow up with it would be most appreciated. For the time being i'm not letting my father-in-law buy any more dogs. His dog buying days are over... I'm taking on the responsibility of purchasing the next one myself to ensure we get what we want.

Jay

We have 4 dogs and the biggest and most ferocious is a dalmation cross! Nobody gets into the grounds without a chorus from our dogs and a show of teeth from the dalmation. we have never been burgled and have never had problems with unwanted guests because we have always had dogs around the house, sadly a lot of them are now buried around the garden and will soon be joined by our eldest dog who is 20 now.

There are a couple of places around that will sell you dogs but it's mainly puppies that you will see, the market opposite BigC has a couple of pet shops with dogs but I would say your best bet would be a visit to Chatu chack market in Bangkok before you travel to Ubon. The last time we went there the pets area had a good selection but again they are all puppies.

Thaibites

I was interested to hear you mention that your dalmation is the most protective of your dogs. My wife and I were told this also by the pet shop owner who said that they were one of the better dogs to own if looking for a guard dog. I doubted what I was been told from experiences of seeing dalamations in the UK. However,after hearing this from you also there may be some reason why Thais regard them as a better dog. Could it be the bloodline locally that is different you think. Are dalmations generally a cross anyway with something else in Thailand or are most pure dalamation pedigree. If you have a picture you can send of your dalmation it would be appreciated. The only other alternatives seem to be rottweilers (think one of these may be too big for my mother-in-law to look after) or RTD's which appear expensive (see the link www.thaidog.org/for_sale.htm) and are a choice of the stars. Did not plan on spending several thousand dollars for that matter. Only a few thousand baht at the most.

Jay

Jay-uk

Not sure what %age of dalmation is in her as it was just another teacher at the school asking my wife if she wanted a puppy. Although ferocious looking and sounding when somebody comes to the gates, Dee Dee is a pussy cat with people she knows and is the smatest dog we have.

post-16800-1133605261_thumb.jpg