‘Hungry Ghost Retreat - Healing The Heart And Mind In Recovery’

Vin-C

For Friends in recovery in Thailand,

My name is Vince Cullen. I live in the UK but I have been associated with Wat Thamkrabok in Thailand since 1998. I shall be paying my annual visit to Thamkrabok and it's Drug Treatment Center in March this year. Afterwards, I am travelling up to a new International Recovery Community in Chiang Rai to facilitate a 3-day residential retreat exploring ‘Buddhist’ practices for people in recovery from addictions.

Dates: Thursday 22nd March - Sunday 25th March 2012

Venue: New Life Foundation - Chiang Rai, Thailand.

This Mindful recovery retreat is offered as an opportunity to experience a wholly Buddhist approach to recovery from all forms of addiction. This retreat is open to those new to recovery as well as those who have been in recovery for a longer time. All are welcome to sit together to discover an alternative and complementary approach to recovery and to support on-going abstinence.

Throughout the retreat, the meditation practices of Loving-kindness and Forgiveness – both essential for healing our hearts and minds – will be central to, and woven into, our daily schedule.

For the period of the retreat, retreatants are required to commit to Sila (Precepts):

• To refrain from harming any living being
  • To refrain from taking what is not offered
  • To refrain from sexual and sensual misconduct
  • To refrain from false speech (including idle gossip, harsh and divisive speech)
  • To refrain from taking substances which disturb the balance of the mind (and may lead me into committing any of the above).

It is important to note that you do not have to be a Buddhist to adopt or to adapt any of the principles discussed, and meditation practices explored. Recovering people of all faiths and none are welcome on this retreat.

The retreat’s primary facilitator will be Vince Cullen. Vince is an ex-alcoholic who has been associated with the Wat Thamkrabok monastery in Thailand and Buddhist-oriented drug and alcohol recovery since 1998. In 2009 Vince became a charter member of the Buddhist Recovery Network and established the Fifth Precept meditation for recovery group in Berkshire, UK. Vince offers recovery retreats in the UK and Ireland.

Fee to cover Food and Accomodation: 2,000 THB per person.

Donation (Pali : Dana) : The retreat teachings are offered in accordance with the Buddhist tradition of Dana (the practice and virtue of generosity). Vince follows the ancient Buddhist tradition of not charging for the teachings he shares. The organisations that host his retreats and workshops generally only cover his travel expenses. However, in return for his teaching and instruction, Vince gratefully accepts donations, which enable him to continue his work. If you would like to support Vince, you can do so at the end of the retreat.

NLF_NOVEMBER_2010.jpg

New Life Foundation

No. 49 Moo 1,

Tambol Don Sila,

Ampher Wiang Chai,

Changwat Chiang Rai,

Thailand.

Contact in Thailand: [email protected]

Contact in Europe: [email protected]

New Life Foundation is a recovery community located amongst the lakes and hills of Chiang Rai, Northern Thailand. New Life Foundation offer a peaceful natural environment and a friendly atmosphere, home-grown organic vegetables and a big mindful smile.

Retreatants have a single room each, with shower, bed, sheets, towel and fan. Please notify us in advance if you would like a double room. Vegetarian meals are served 3 times a day. Fruit, tea and coffee will be available all day long. The retreat will include teachings, guided meditation practice and yoga with an experienced teacher. There will be plenty of time to enjoy the swimming pool and our herbal steam bath.

The price for the retreat is 2,000 THB. Please help us spread the word and bring some friends.

If you are interested please contact NLF at [email protected]

Have a look at the NLF website: www.newlifethaifoundation.com

And the NLF blog: http://newlifethai.wordpress.com/

The number of retreatants is limited to a maximum of 26, if you are interested please book your place as soon as possible.

To ensure that this retreat is right for you, please read all the information provided carefully. Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.

Edited by Vin-C